OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:41

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 05:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
This post is related to the above conversation and others.

I finished my first 8 training session. The sessions mostly consisted of multiball and a good amount of time was spent on improving my backhand.

The problem is that "boards don't hit back" so I needed to jump into the pool. I woke up a couple of days ago and caught a flight to Bangkok. I had never played TT in Bangkok but I know there are a lot of players. When I arrived in Bangkok I googled "table tennis club". I found a club a few miles away and it looked like a National Training Center / Club, so yesterday I risked my life to get there. I used the app "Grab" (Uber) and ordered a "bike". I sat on the back of a motorbike and we weaved in and out of the most dense traffic on the planet. As I write, I'm not 100% sure that I'll make it out of this adventure alive, and that's okay.
On Sunday, I'll play my only friend in Bangkok. He's former national team and normally wins the Thai over 40 Championships. He's won 3 out of the last 4, I believe. He plays about 2500 and he looks and plays like he is 25 yrs old. Then I'll find some of these national youth players and see where that leads.

Why isn't this a reality tv show?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 06:16 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I finished my first 8 training session. The sessions mostly consisted of multiball and a good amount of time was spent on improving my backhand.

The problem is that "boards don't hit back" so I needed to jump into the pool. I woke up a couple of days ago and caught a flight to Bangkok. I had never played TT in Bangkok but I know there are a lot of players. When I arrived in Bangkok I googled "table tennis club". I found a club a few miles away and it looked like a National Training Center / Club, so yesterday I risked my life to get there. I used the app "Grab" (Uber) and ordered a "bike". I sat on the back of a motorbike and we weaved in and out of the most dense traffic on the planet. As I write, I'm not 100% sure that I'll make it out of this adventure alive, and that's okay.
On Sunday, I'll play my only friend in Bangkok. He's former national team and normally wins the Thai over 40 Championships. He's won 3 out of the last 4, I believe. He plays about 2500 and he looks and plays like he is 25 yrs old. Then I'll find some of these national youth players and see where that leads.

I remember watching Brett's first recent training video and being confused: "It looks like the other guy's not being coached! Is he supposed to do something with the ball that Brett's hitting?" (Yeah, I know, slow on the uptake there.)

Then the series of training vids, and now this.

Why not a reality TV show? Because this is movie material!

Think "Rocky Balboa". Or "22 Jump Street". :P

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 09:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

hangdog wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I remember watching Brett's first recent training video and being confused: "It looks like the other guy's not being coached! Is he supposed to do something with the ball that Brett's hitting?" (Yeah, I know, slow on the uptake there.)

Then the series of training vids, and now this.

Why not a reality TV show? Because this is movie material!

Think "Rocky Balboa". Or "22 Jump Street". :P

Don't worry Chuan...I'll be back coaching before you know it! I might even be back in Melbourne in a few days. I'll probably stay at Alois' house, which is a long way from Kilsyth.

My last month should have been properly filmed because it has been pretty funny. The name of the show could have been "Washed Up Table Tennis" or something. I would have requested Master Snake to come down to Bangkok to bench coach for me.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2018, 18:30 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Is that the one near Ramkhamkhaeng University? That's where I usually go to play in Bangkok. I usually take a bus or the water bus. Forget getting there during rush hour... Both the land and water buses are packed. At least there aren't any jams on the water. There is a really nice night market nearby too. Costs 30 baht to play all evening, but isn't air-conditioned. If you stay too late they turn the lights out on you!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 02:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

There's a lot worse reality tv on than Washed Up Table Tennis. Someone should pitch that to a producer.

I'm jealous of your eight lessons. I may become desperate enough to pay the stupid DC prices for a coach who is really a trainer. I think it's $60 an hour counting club fees. Jonesing for multiball bigly.

Right now I'm adjusting to the ball position on the bh by moving my elbow all around, with crap results. But of course I can't fix the elbow position, I have to put my body in the right place instead. All this week I've been a little bit behind the play.

And on the fh I have to swing over the ball. I always tell myself 'don't lift it!,' which of course is a negative construction and leads to doing more of exactly what I don't mean to do. I've gotten a lot better at taking my own coaching direction during play, but that one is eluding me, and it's really important. My shot quality on my fh needs to be much better, and swinging over the ball is going to be necessary to get it.

I must try Brett's between-every-point visualizing thing in all these practice matches. I rush too much, but that's sort of expected here because it's always crowded and people are waiting.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 08:31 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
It costs me equivalent of $20 for an hour and a half of coaching. I should probably do more o think when reading about these US prices! This is in western Europe as well.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 09:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FruitLoop wrote:
It costs me equivalent of $20 for an hour and a half of coaching. I should probably do more o think when reading about these US prices! This is in western Europe as well.

I'm in a fairly expensive area for the US. In Miami it is $35 an hour. But at TTPor it's 20 euro for a day. That's probably close to Brett's asia prices. It's definitely better to live in europe as a TT player than the states. Everything about it is better.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 12:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
FruitLoop wrote:

I'm in a fairly expensive area for the US. In Miami it is $35 an hour. But at TTPor it's 20 euro for a day. That's probably close to Brett's asia prices. It's definitely better to live in europe as a TT player than the states. Everything about it is better.

You can easily get coaching in Asia for $10 per hour.

Playing TT in Europe and Asia is a lot better than Australia and the US. Europe has better conditions than Asia although it's much more expensive to be there.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 12:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

I must try Brett's between-every-point visualizing thing in all these practice matches. I rush too much, but that's sort of expected here because it's always crowded and people are waiting.

If you are trying to integrate something into your game, imagining the correct outcome after points is a must.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 12:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT104 is now available on ttEDGE.com

It's not that helpful for the average club player. Maybe there's something in it which you can take away.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 12:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Is that the one near Ramkhamkhaeng University? That's where I usually go to play in Bangkok. I usually take a bus or the water bus. Forget getting there during rush hour... Both the land and water buses are packed. At least there aren't any jams on the water. There is a really nice night market nearby too. Costs 30 baht to play all evening, but isn't air-conditioned. If you stay too late they turn the lights out on you!

Iskandar

It's the Sports Authority of Thailand. I'm not sure about the river thing because I just catch "Grab Bike".

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 12:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

My Sunday episode of Washed Up Table Tennis is over.

I beat my friend 8-6. I was up 3-2, then down 4-3 and eventually won a tense 8-6. I then won another very close match against a 2400 guy but I was completely tired after the 14 games against my friend.

Table Tennis in Asia is brutal. The 2400 guy is ranked about 50 in Thailand. I've been to watch tournaments in Thailand and there are literally hundreds of very solid players here. The level doesn't just drop off like it does in Australia. A guy ranked 50 can beat a guy ranked 15 on a good day. I once bench coached for a thai guy who wouldn't be in the top 100 and he almost beat an opponent ranked in the top 20. Then guys ranked 15 can beat guys ranked in the top 8 etc.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2018, 21:24 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
Was any of the washed up TT filmed? Would be a great watch.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 00:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Yeah, I'd like to see the two-step process in real action, not against the return boards not hitting back!

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2018, 02:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Yeah, I'd like to see the two-step process in real action, not against the return boards not hitting back!

So would I! Sometimes it shows up, sometimes I go for the old stick routine and loop the ball a few feet off the end. Apparently yelling at yourself doesn't make the 2 steps show up every time, so you can forget about trying that because I've thoroughly tested it for you. In all seriousness though, my backhand has improved and I've made some okay shots.

I'm not recording the matches at this stage. I'm just trying to have fun and make some friends until I know what I'm doing.

I was going to dedicate at least 2 years of my life to Washed Up TT however it appears it will be closer to 2 weeks. For the 999th time, my coaching will come before playing. The rationale behind this decision is extremely strong and I'll talk more about it when it officially happens. I have to admit though, I was pretty excited about Washed Up TT and I had some fun plans. I was going to hire a coach and travel around the Philippines playing matches. I still have all the arrangements in place, just in case something changes again. A friend of mine owns a club there and he's still expecting me :(

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 253, 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259 ... 568  Next