OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 23:17

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 22:42 

Brett Clarke wrote:
Awesome video Rich!

If you had seen this video when you started in Taunton, would you have been happy with the end result? Clearly the answer is yes. So is there ever a real reason to be unhappy with your TT today? It's funny how the mind works.

In relation to your ear problem, you aren't the first. For anyone who has too much time, here is a documentary on the fate of my favorite female player of all time. I've played against her in training matches...a long time ago.

Thanks Brett! Yeah, very true.. the only reason I get unhappy now is because of my expectations, that I now should start to be even better because I know better. Like what Fruitloop said in one comment, I'm now putting a lot of effort into getting better so it all means more to me. But I still have nothing to be unhappy about and I've started to realize how much unnecessary pressure I put on myself. Its been a gradually increasing realization since you commented on the first vid I posted here about needing to work on my mental game actually.. funny how you picked up on that then.

I watched parts of that documentary and will watch it all. It's so easy to take things for granted, I'm very guilty of this.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 23:09 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Richfs wrote:
I had an almost 3 week break from TT. It wasn't supposed to be that long.. I was away for a few days in Italy, got ill and then on the flight home as it was landing the air pressure damaged my left ear and I've had constant ringing and hearing loss. Its been driving me crazy. Lesson learned: don't fly with a blocked ear. I finally got around to practice again two days ago and my legs are aching so much.. I guess that's what an even somewhat small break will do to you.

Got around to making a compilation video with some really old clips and some from the last 6 months or so. I see so much to be worked on. Things generally feel better in practice but incorporating it into a match is damn hard, as we all know.. Even a small thing like BRS told me about my right arm, that it should be up and more active. It's still more often than not just straight down even though I'm occasionally bringing it into awareness and trying to practice with that in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK3NaT1Fh4M

Watch Bojan Tokic sometime and tell me what you think about his non-playing arm. If it can improve your shot quality and balance and you can incorporate it, great. If not, I wouldn't really think about. Ma Long does a very different thing with it from many of his teammates and I wouldn't say just because he is Ma Long we should all emulate him.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2019, 23:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

Cool now we can talk about Ma Long technique vs Brett technique. Ma Long gets his back going straight up and sometimes even a bit backwards (I think the amount of spin he sees dictates this). He's also doing a smaller swing. Maybe this just comes down to how Ma Long wants to play: he isn't interested in winning points with his loop against backspin. He needs one that goes on the table with good spin but not to win points outright. Thoughts?

Not letting this go! Evan has a similar stroke too.

I think you are overthinking this. Basically, the underlying principle I have worked out is to propel the shoulder joint (and tracking any fixed point on the body similar to the shoulder like the head will likely have a similar result on the backhand though on the forehand, since you rotate, tracking the shoulder or racket is almost the only option). As long as you propel it mostly with strong muscles from the body, you will be fine. What the video shows is Brett doing that with his legs and his bowing and unbowing. In the specific video you just saw, Ma Long did a bit more work with his back and hip muscles (forward thrust) and it was a point and not multiball, so strokes usually look smaller. Brett also plays a bit off his right hip (or left if he flips the film) while Ma Long is more squarely balanced. But most of the differences you are looking at are more likely related to how their respective techniques (Ma Long vs Brett) evolved to use the body and less about the underlying principle of using the body to propel the shoulder joint quickly through a large distance to get power. Less use of the upper arm, more use of the body.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 04:56 

NextLevel wrote:
Watch Bojan Tokic sometime and tell me what you think about his non-playing arm. If it can improve your shot quality and balance and you can incorporate it, great. If not, I wouldn't really think about. Ma Long does a very different thing with it from many of his teammates and I wouldn't say just because he is Ma Long we should all emulate him.

Yeah.. he doesn't appear to be "using" it much. Maybe it's not the end of the world, as you say it could help with balance. Time will tell if I can make use of it, if I can't I won't worry too much.. Using my body better on my fh against backspin is still my biggest concern and not stepping in so much on my fh's.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 05:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
I think you are overthinking this.

If NL thinks you are overthinking then I think you must definitely be massively overthinking. NL thinks about TT 25*8, so if you are thinking more than NL thinks you should think then I think it must be too much thinking on your part, don't you think?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 06:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

If NL thinks you are overthinking then I think you must definitely be massively overthinking. NL thinks about TT 25*8, so if you are thinking more than NL thinks you should think then I think it must be too much thinking on your part, don't you think?

I just read that to my wife replacing "NL" with "Laj" and she cracked up. Thanks.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 07:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

This thread has gone full role reversal. I'm over thinking technique, Laj is multiballing and looking for quality.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 09:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iG1SfJ ... e=youtu.be

The feeding is inconsistent to put it mildly but if I didn't take it, maybe I have to wait forever and maybe pay someone?

But there were a few good shots in there. More late ones than good ones but some good ones.

PostPosted: 23 Jun 2019, 11:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iG1SfJ_G0k&feature=youtu.be

The feeding is inconsistent to put it mildly but if I didn't take it, maybe I have to wait forever and maybe pay someone?

But there were a few good shots in there. More late ones than good ones but some good ones.

All of these players and none of them can feed. How did you end up in TT hell?

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019, 03:12 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iG1SfJ_G0k&feature=youtu.be

All of these players and none of them can feed. How did you end up in TT hell?

I tried to teach one of my students, you would have thought I was teaching rocket science.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019, 03:14 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:

Awesome video Rich!

If you had seen this video when you started in Taunton, would you have been happy with the end result? Clearly the answer is yes. So is there ever a real reason to be unhappy with your TT today? It's funny how the mind works.

In relation to your ear problem, you aren't the first. For anyone who has too much time, here is a documentary on the fate of my favorite female player of all time. I've played against her in training matches...a long time ago.

The end of that documentary was kinda depressing. Really sad that Europe lost such a great player to something so stupid.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019, 06:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Backhand arm structure.

Does this look better? It honestly feels better and it seems to have helped out in fixing some serve return errors, which I will post about in my next video.
I've come to realize that improving my backhand is a process.

Step 1 is to get the body right.
Step 2 is to get the arm right.
Step 3 is probably the wrist as sometimes being a bit more stiff is useful.
Step 4 is probably unknown to me right now.

Somewhere in there I probably need to be hitting a bit more from low to high too.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2019, 12:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
Backhand arm structure.

Does this look better? It honestly feels better and it seems to have helped out in fixing some serve return errors, which I will post about in my next video.
I've come to realize that improving my backhand is a process.

Step 1 is to get the body right.
Step 2 is to get the arm right.
Step 3 is probably the wrist as sometimes being a bit more stiff is useful.
Step 4 is probably unknown to me right now.

Somewhere in there I probably need to be hitting a bit more from low to high too.

Your elbow is straightening a bit too much on some of the shots and I think you are losing the "C" structure and sometimes engaging the upper arm. Fix the upper arm a bit more relative to the body on some of these shots I think , get your body closer to the ball so you can hit the ball with the body without engaging the upper arm so much. Maybe there is a better way to explain it, but that is what I see.

You are getting pretty good whip though and some of that may go away with my advice so you can ignore my advice if that is the priority.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2019, 01:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Here I am getting side back/side/side top serves to my wide backhand.

This is what I would call a backhand final exam. I have to make a small step (first with the right leg!) to my backhand side. I have to keep a good arm structure. I have to fold and unfold. I have to track a ball with side spin going away from me. I have to determine the spin of the serve.

Many times I just sort of bunt it back - but this is a major upgrade from what it was before. I'd grade myself a B- because I am doing most of the things here but it's obvious I'm struggling at times.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2019, 02:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
Here I am getting side back/side/side top serves to my wide backhand.

This is what I would call a backhand final exam. I have to make a small step (first with the right leg!) to my backhand side. I have to keep a good arm structure. I have to fold and unfold. I have to track a ball with side spin going away from me. I have to determine the spin of the serve.

Many times I just sort of bunt it back - but this is a major upgrade from what it was before. I'd grade myself a B- because I am doing most of the things here but it's obvious I'm struggling at times.

You are working on the right things. Not a time to play around too much with technique. If you are missing try to change either the contact point on the ball, the shape of your stroke or both.

The arm structure thing is for another time...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 389, 390, 391, 392, 393, 394, 395 ... 568  Next