OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 10:16

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 08:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I believe this film is relevant to the Learning Table Tennis series, and table tennis in general (as well as many other things in life).

https://vimeo.com/pricefilms/pencils

Brilliant film!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 08:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
FruitLoop it seems to me the faster you can incorporate a more explosive body movements into your stroke will naturally lead to faster racket head speeds. I notice this in my forehand. If I explode my right hip into the forehand topspin it results in faster racket head speeds and quality of stroke goes up heaps and it zips of the table. I think to explode faster in the backhand you really need to push off the ground quickly with your feet leading to what you are observing. I sort of think the short sharp strokes the Chinese Pros do depends on these fast body movements. I also think the weight going upwards enables you to recover and bounce into the next stroke. Brett can shoot me down if required!

Watch this topspin against backspin at .25 speed on YouTube. https://youtu.be/pYMY-1KQrbo?t=146 Watch how much he closes the angle between his stomach and thigh. No club player has ever bowed down this low to make a backhand against backspin. This is not a short move. See the pic below

Attachment:
FZD deap bow.JPG
FZD deap bow.JPG [ 24.08 KiB | Viewed 986 times ]

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 08:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FruitLoop wrote:
Following on from the bounce discussion on the latest TTEdge video, I was thinking about something in regard to this.

In a power clean movement in weightlifting, the moment the bar passes the knees is followed by a 'stomp'. This is to ensure the person is essentially jumping with the barbell at that point in order to maximise the transferral of force from the hips extending to the bar and also that the feet are in position for the catch phase where the barbell weight is absorbed on the delts. Here is a perfect example: http://youtu.be/O32-Ae8SNIc

I was thinking about this in relation to the backhand which involves quite a similar hip movement and for a similar purpose. I have then watched a lot of highlights of top players and notice that this stomp is frequently there, sometimes obviously with both feet leaving the ground although this is very rare, other times only on a micro scale where the feet don't actually leave the ground and it's more a rising and falling of weight in their feet. I don't think this is merely a bounce afterwards. It all happens so quick and on a small scale its very hard to analyse. It also depends on exactly the type of shot they are going for, backhand counter hits typically don't involve this much at all, but looping against backspin and hitting full power backhands generally do. I can notice this on a small scale in the latest Henzell video. Here is another example I found where you can see it at the start here: http://youtu.be/pYMY-1KQrbo

So I have taken this to the table and practiced it and I think this might actually have finally got me to use the hips more effectively in my backhand. Before I was using all arm on backhand. I was thinking of really snapping with my feet as I come out of the 'bow' phase and it seems to extend the hips really fast. Am I on the right track here? Or is this a descent into madness?

When you lean/bow forward with bent knees and then thrust your hips forward, there are a lot of by-products. There is a lot of tension in your thighs, the body weight can change position on your feet, your stomach and back muscles are contracting / relaxing etc etc. I personally don't think too much about these by-products including what happens to the feet. I just teach people to do the move.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 09:23 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
I suppose my whole point is it's quite hard to do the move and thinking about doing a mini stomp with my feet seemed to work better than just thinking about extending the hips.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 09:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FruitLoop wrote:
I suppose my whole point is it's quite hard to do the move and thinking about doing a mini stomp with my feet seemed to work better than just thinking about extending the hips.

If things make sense to you, just go with it. It doesn't matter how you get there.

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2018, 13:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
NextLevel wrote:
fastmover wrote:
I think the main problem (as with all serves) is that I have no idea how the "kick" should look like :) I also have no idea how a proper heavy backspin, or a backspin-sidespin serve looks. I wish I could run around the table and receive my own spin... Hopefully soon I will make a trip to LYTTC and play with some smart coaches there.

Practice a lot of floor serves. Or spinning the ball in your hand a LOT. That's for the spin.

For the serve in the video: the biggest problem with your serve, IMO, is that you aren't going through through a circular/ U path and pulling the racket upwards at contact. The point of the circle is to give the illusion that the racket is coming down but to pull up at the last second to get some good topspin. You are just coming forward into the ball. The U path also gives the racket momentum from the shoulder before you get to the ball. You need to feel that at least your racket and more likely your body is moving in a circle at the ball. When I used to do that serve, I would push my knees down a little to give me more room to come up into the ball very subtly but I would probably yank my elbow much more now after seeing William's serve still work with that follow through.

Here is the same serve, but from a different angle.

PostPosted: 03 Nov 2018, 03:26 

Brett Clarke wrote:
maurice101 wrote:
FruitLoop it seems to me the faster you can incorporate a more explosive body movements into your stroke will naturally lead to faster racket head speeds. I notice this in my forehand. If I explode my right hip into the forehand topspin it results in faster racket head speeds and quality of stroke goes up heaps and it zips of the table. I think to explode faster in the backhand you really need to push off the ground quickly with your feet leading to what you are observing. I sort of think the short sharp strokes the Chinese Pros do depends on these fast body movements. I also think the weight going upwards enables you to recover and bounce into the next stroke. Brett can shoot me down if required!

Watch this topspin against backspin at .25 speed on YouTube. https://youtu.be/pYMY-1KQrbo?t=146 Watch how much he closes the angle between his stomach and thigh. No club player has ever bowed down this low to make a backhand against backspin. This is not a short move. See the pic below

Attachment:
FZD deap bow.JPG

Should the bow still be this low and Knees as bent against light backspin or no spin? I also wonder about use of the wrist for backhand against block close to the table, should the bat still snap back completely so it’s almost pointing at my stomach ? I find if I do this I don’t have time. Or when doing parallel backhand to backhand I’m unsure how far I should be bending my wrist.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 07:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Richfs wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
maurice101 wrote:

Attachment:
FZD deap bow.JPG

Should the bow still be this low and Knees as bent against light backspin or no spin? I also wonder about use of the wrist for backhand against block close to the table, should the bat still snap back completely so it’s almost pointing at my stomach ? I find if I do this I don’t have time. Or when doing parallel backhand to backhand I’m unsure how far I should be bending my wrist.

In relation to the wrist, you should always do as much as you can with the time you have. You've asked a form follows function type question. If you have lots of time, the racket should definitely be facing the stomach.

In relation to the question about deepness of the bow, it should be much less against a no spin or topspin ball. But if you were at the back of the court, it should be very deep. If your legs are touching the table, it should be near invisible. Again, a form follows function type deal.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 07:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PTTP04 is now available on ttEDGE.com https://ttedge.com/videos/pttp04-playin ... -henzell-3

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 07:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
fastmover wrote:
I think the main problem (as with all serves) is that I have no idea how the "kick" should look like :) I also have no idea how a proper heavy backspin, or a backspin-sidespin serve looks. I wish I could run around the table and receive my own spin... Hopefully soon I will make a trip to LYTTC and play with some smart coaches there.

Practice a lot of floor serves. Or spinning the ball in your hand a LOT. That's for the spin.

For the serve in the video: the biggest problem with your serve, IMO, is that you aren't going through through a circular/ U path and pulling the racket upwards at contact. The point of the circle is to give the illusion that the racket is coming down but to pull up at the last second to get some good topspin. You are just coming forward into the ball. The U path also gives the racket momentum from the shoulder before you get to the ball. You need to feel that at least your racket and more likely your body is moving in a circle at the ball. When I used to do that serve, I would push my knees down a little to give me more room to come up into the ball very subtly but I would probably yank my elbow much more now after seeing William's serve still work with that follow through.

Here is the same serve, but from a different angle.

There is some improvement but there's still a long way to go. It's a good thing because you want players to have to work to get good serves. Imagine the nightmare the sport would become if everyone could learn a great serve in 2 weeks.

NextLevel's advice is still highly relevant. Read it closely and try to implement.

You've gotta get that ball toss closer to your body. I have played a million good players and none of them are tossing the ball out that far. That toss is breaking the "kinetic chain", meaning it's extremely difficult for your body to propel your arm up when you are nowhere near the ball. Having to reach out or walk towards the ball makes it near impossible to be uncoiling upwards, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 10:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The video above is filmed one minute before the first one I posted. I do agree about the ball toss. But I don't quite get the comment about the U shape. In other words, I don't know how to implement it: if I try to enforce even more circular shape, things get way worse, I probably have to think about it more.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2018, 11:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I like PTTP04 a lot. Forehand down the line is my favorite shot and I pull it off whenever I have an opportunity. The problem is that when I have a deficit of time (which is probably 8 out of 10 times), I always go cross-court. If I have a split of a second more time, I always go down the line. I've been trying to reprogram myself for a few years already with some success (like playing FH down the line exclusively in training for months, even during the warm-up), but going cross-court is still my default option.

I also struggle to improve the placement of the forehand pivot. I often aim for the backhand corner, but hooking sidespin curves it into the middle of the table, which is too easy too block. I understand that I have to fade more often, but it is too technically difficult for me :(

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 07:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
The video above is filmed one minute before the first one I posted. I do agree about the ball toss. But I don't quite get the comment about the U shape. In other words, I don't know how to implement it: if I try to enforce even more circular shape, things get way worse, I probably have to think about it more.

I took some footage of me doing this serve yesterday and I'm still trying to work out what to do with it.

The U shape means that your body pushes down first and then comes up and around. Your racket follows the body and it feels like your racket draws the letter U.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 09:30 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
I have asked this question before but not got satisfactory answers or ones that I have clear in my head. Obviously thinking about mechanics during a point or technique at all is a disaster. But what about placement? Do top players have a truly clear mind and play on pure subconscious brain patterns or is there some conscious thought about placement or tactics or something else? When I don't think about placement I put it right to their bat generally and fail to find the wide areas or the elbow. When I think too hard about it I try to guide it there and technique breaks down.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 12:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FruitLoop wrote:
I have asked this question before but not got satisfactory answers or ones that I have clear in my head. Obviously thinking about mechanics during a point or technique at all is a disaster. But what about placement? Do top players have a truly clear mind and play on pure subconscious brain patterns or is there some conscious thought about placement or tactics or something else? When I don't think about placement I put it right to their bat generally and fail to find the wide areas or the elbow. When I think too hard about it I try to guide it there and technique breaks down.

For me when I think about placement it works great, as long as I keep watching the ball and only think of the placement. Sometimes I actually look at where I want to hit and use peripheral vision to track the incoming ball. That's total garbage.

Yoko Ono

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 228, 229, 230, 231, 232, 233, 234 ... 568  Next