OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 05:55

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 02:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 02:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I often play beginners at the local league and at university, so from time to time I try fishing and lobbing. The reason why I am asking is that following the spirit of TTEdge, I want to do it with the right technique.

That's fair enough. I'll make a video about it. It won't be any time soon as I have other stuff on the list.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 03:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Last year I watched a superstar from England lose one of the most important matches of his life. I think he ended up fishing about half of the points. I spoke to him a month later and told him what I thought about it. He didn't disagree and he said he was nervous because he had recently lost to the opponent in league and it was a bad draw for him. He didn't say he thought he could fish the guy off the table or something. His fishing skills are excellent, but not good enough to win a big match.

Fishing is like going to the ropes in boxing. It's something that happens when things go wrong or when certain players are nervous. When things go wrong for me, I end up practically volleying the ball. I don't recommend volleying the ball either.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 03:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

When I see pros fish it seems to me the intent is to at some point get a attacking top spin ball that will get them back into the point. So perhaps a way of thinking about it would be to fish a couple of times and then go for a top spin ball. I do this in practice as it gives the guy I'm working with more time to setup for his forehand loop and I get a chance to work on fishing and looping from far back. I win points this way against weaker players but it's never the goal; something went wrong.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 03:23 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
I actually concluded recently that I needed an even faster blade than the one I am using now and that all wood won't cut it - need a faster composite, maybe an innerforce design as I can't stand too much carbon. I am reluctant to spend full price on a ZJK ALC so I am testing some of my older blades that I couldn't give away. It will be interesting. I need a blade that let's me have a decent block 3 feet off the table.

Some of the changes to my feeling since I came back are interesting. I used to like Hinoki and Limba but now I can't stand them. I need something hard like koto or walnut. I know I used harder outer plies when I played at the end of 2017 to early 2018 on pain killers but the disdain for limba and Hinoki vs how I used to feel about them is puzzling. Is it common for taste in outer plies to change so radically? It might be a new plastic ball thing.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 03:26 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
So, what would you call the FH shot Gionis and Filus frequently do on their FH away from the table? These guys do not really chop on FH, and it does not look like counterloop either - they simply guide ball back. Jian Li does it quite a bit too.

I tried it a few times when stuck away from the table, and at least at my level it frequently is a safer shot (compared to all-out counter loop attempt), since the other guy now has a chance to screw up, especially if placed well. NL saw it in person, I believe, and actually encouraged it, IIRC.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 03:29 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

NextLevel wrote:
Is it common for taste in outer plies to change so radically?

I have to confess that I've never developed any taste in outer plies... I have no idea what any of my blades have on top.
8)

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 03:43 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

pgpg wrote:
So, what would you call the FH shot Gionis and Filus frequently do on their FH away from the table? These guys do not really chop on FH, and it does not look like counterloop either - they simply guide ball back. Jian Li does it quite a bit too.

I tried it a few times when stuck away from the table, and at least at my level it frequently is a safer shot (compared to all-out counter loop attempt), since the other guy now has a chance to screw up, especially if placed well. NL saw it in person, I believe, and actually encouraged it, IIRC.

Variation is part of the game of a chopper or any defensive player. You are trying to induce mistakes partly by playing longer points and partly by giving people looks they are not used to seeing when playing conventional players. The answer I would give to you about fishing and lobbing of any shot would be much simpler - practice it. All the defensive players in my club have advanced lobbing games and complain that if we had a higher ceiling, I would struggle more against then playing longer points.

If Fastmover was asking about chop blocking, I would recommend any close to the table player work on that too. Just look at how your points generally evolve and ask yourself if the skill you want to master or add plays a role in your game.

Sidespin pushing of serves is not going to get you to 2700 if done all the time but if you are below 2200, it can be useful and can mess up juniors or people who have trouble reading spin. Can also help you keep the ball short if that is the absolute priority against s particular opponent.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 03:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

pgpg wrote:

I have to confess that I've never developed any taste in outer plies... I have no idea what any of my blades have on top.
8)

Same with me. Rubber matters to me but the blade seems to either fit my hand or does not.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 04:01 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Fine. If I am the only one who feels the difference between softer and harder outer plies then time to move on.

Finally I do recommend that people use Fastarc G1. Part of the reason. I enjoy TT again is because of this rubber.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 04:01 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
NextLevel wrote:
I actually concluded recently that I needed an even faster blade than the one I am using now and that all wood won't cut it - need a faster composite, maybe an innerforce design as I can't stand too much carbon. I am reluctant to spend full price on a ZJK ALC so I am testing some of my older blades that I couldn't give away. It will be interesting. I need a blade that let's me have a decent block 3 feet off the table.

Some of the changes to my feeling since I came back are interesting. I used to like Hinoki and Limba but now I can't stand them. I need something hard like koto or walnut. I know I used harder outer plies when I played at the end of 2017 to early 2018 on pain killers but the disdain for limba and Hinoki vs how I used to feel about them is puzzling. Is it common for taste in outer plies to change so radically? It might be a new plastic ball thing.

What about one of the Stiga hardwood 7 plies?

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 04:03 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
NextLevel wrote:
Fine. If I am the only one who feels the difference between softer and harder outer plies then time to move on.

Finally I do recommend that people use Fastarc G1. Part of the reason. I enjoy TT again is because of this rubber.

I use Vega Pro atm. I want to test G1 but am going to wait until end of season now. Worth the change or just stick with it since they are supposedly so similar?

Also you aren't, I don't like harder woods except anegre was good for me. Limba best feel by far for me. Never tried hinoki.

Last edited by FruitLoop on 23 Jan 2019, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 04:04 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

FruitLoop wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

What about one of the Stiga hardwood 7 plies?

I wasted enough money on Stiga Eternity blades that had issues with their outer plies that Stiga will never get a dime from me again. Ask Big D if you doubt this.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 04:08 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

NextLevel wrote:

I'm sure there is a difference, it's just I never bothered to dive into details of what causes what. Kind of viewing blade as a 'whole thing'.

Yes, saw your change to Fastarc G1 and even priced it out, but I'm in month 1 of my "same setup for a year" journey, so it will have to wait a bit.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 05:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Yeah, I cannot distinguish different outer plies either. I can feel the difference between a hard and a soft rubber, or a very fast and very slow blade, but other than that I hardly feel anything.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 287, 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293 ... 568  Next