OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 21:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 15:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

From watching NL's matches, if there is anything he does well it is punish a spinny loop that he has time to attack. Looks like a nightmare match-up for me actually :) In fact I bet this specific skill of NL gives many developing players fits.

LTT95 is really nice and I'm excited to start working on it tomorrow. I've started doing this against weaker players who can loop backspin. Instead of the usual top spin on practice feeding I just give backspin and then attack that loop but I was not trying to stay down during the swing and typically do a smaller stroke..

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 18:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
big d wrote:
This video is gold. Mike Leshinsky has no chance now 8)

Brett Clarke wrote:

Nah - Mike is actually the LTT95 king...

But one day, I will take over...

https://youtu.be/D7TaeS9B4w8?t=593
https://youtu.be/D7TaeS9B4w8?t=669

Ignore all the misses in the video and the shallowness of the swings - lol...

This one is a great shot with some downward movement
https://youtu.be/D7TaeS9B4w8?t=669

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2018, 01:08 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
wilkinru wrote:
From watching NL's matches, if there is anything he does well it is punish a spinny loop that he has time to attack. Looks like a nightmare match-up for me actually :) In fact I bet this specific skill of NL gives many developing players fits.

LTT95 is really nice and I'm excited to start working on it tomorrow. I've started doing this against weaker players who can loop backspin. Instead of the usual top spin on practice feeding I just give backspin and then attack that loop but I was not trying to stay down during the swing and typically do a smaller stroke..

It's all in the relative spin level. When playing an 1800 player or less, my regular stroke often still works. When playing someone like Mike or Big D, you have to do it like Brett or the ball keeps sailing long and I don't always have the movement to optimize the stroke.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 10:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
It has been a long time since I've posted a video on YouTube. Today's the day.

This one is really paying off.

My confidence in looping a forehand push/chop is really growing by consciously thinking about bending and coming up with my torso/legs. Hopefully I won't have to think about it down the road. It's opening up my options on placement, spin, speed. The easy down the line forehand has caught many flat footed lately.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 11:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
It has been a long time since I've posted a video on YouTube. Today's the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_f9nhtKtBQ

This one is really paying off.

My confidence in looping a forehand push/chop is really growing by consciously thinking about bending and coming up with my torso/legs. Hopefully I won't have to think about it down the road. It's opening up my options on placement, spin, speed. The easy down the line forehand has caught many flat footed lately.

Try not to use the legs too much to come up. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiARkUO6aEE

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 13:23 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

The way I think about it is that loops (and other strokes) have a path. The path is curved. Use your body or legs to accentuate the curve. And of course don't injure yourself.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2018, 14:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ill grab some video this weekend.

PostPosted: 03 Feb 2018, 20:25 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
I have been thinking lately about how to exploit to the max very consistent ball return placement on my pendulum serves (serves gets returned 90% of the time about 20-40 cm away from the backhand corner and almost never goes to my deep forehand) and thought about cheating a bit and cut corners by recovering completely outside of table and at 45 degrees instead of completely square which would allow me to attack third ball with my FH almost 100% of the time.

Of course, if I got blocked to the FH side I would have to use cross footwork to get to the ball which is the trade off.

Any merit in such thinking or a dumb idea?

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 09:04 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Barfly wrote:
I have been thinking lately about how to exploit to the max very consistent ball return placement on my pendulum serves (serves gets returned 90% of the time about 20-40 cm away from the backhand corner and almost never goes to my deep forehand) and thought about cheating a bit and cut corners by recovering completely outside of table and at 45 degrees instead of completely square which would allow me to attack third ball with my FH almost 100% of the time.

Of course, if I got blocked to the FH side I would have to use cross footwork to get to the ball which is the trade off.

It's an idea whose pros and cons as you mention them have been discussed many times on this thread.

It's a good thing to have in your game. You can always learn to play differently behind another serve strategy or also work on not biasing yourself for the forehand on some returns. It's effectiveness really boils down to whether your third ball forehand is effective against the opponent. Taking backhand openers in order to not get out of position can be an important strategy to reduce the demands on your footwork.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2018, 11:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Barfly wrote:

Finding a serve that gets returned to a reliable spot that you can open up on with a powerful stroke is always a good thing.

Just understand not all players will give you that same return. Better players will take it away.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2018, 11:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Barfly wrote:

Your thinking is definitely valid and it happens subconsciously anyway. You do however have to be a little flexible as your opponent will adapt if you continuously pivot and blast winners.

PostPosted: 15 Feb 2018, 03:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thread withdrawal kicking in.

I've been sick for 2 weeks and finally getting back into things.

I've decided that my backhand is high maintenance. Any short break makes it just fall apart. Wide forehands too.
I used to say this about other aspects of my game, but I think it just comes down to the fact my skill level is not good enough on those shots to where it is second nature. Well, at least to the quality of ball I want to play.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 02:19 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
Thread withdrawal kicking in.

I've been sick for 2 weeks and finally getting back into things.

I've decided that my backhand is high maintenance. Any short break makes it just fall apart. Wide forehands too.
I used to say this about other aspects of my game, but I think it just comes down to the fact my skill level is not good enough on those shots to where it is second nature. Well, at least to the quality of ball I want to play.

Any break throws you off. I went on a trip to Nigeria and didn't play for roughly two weeks. Got back and lost matches to players I usually beat comfortably. Haven't been playing as much and struggling more across the board.

So don't think you are specially bad in that regard. Your play might be above average relative to the time you took off and you may not even know it.

The one thing that taking time off can help you do is rethink how you want to play. Having some distance from training everyday allows you to break some cycles within reason.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2018, 17:39 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
Some footage from my last training session.

What I am trying to achieve lately is more consistency and to get that I try to focus on getting really short and sharp movements with stable elbow and swing path and looking for thicker contact

Unfortunately, old habits die hard so I often end up with a lot of swing from the shoulder and very vertical ultra thin contact but still think I am making small progress:

https://youtu.be/J0Xp2JBRi7o

Thank you for any criticism and advice.

PostPosted: 18 Feb 2018, 15:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Barfly wrote:
Some footage from my last training session.

What I am trying to achieve lately is more consistency and to get that I try to focus on getting really short and sharp movements with stable elbow and swing path and looking for thicker contact

Unfortunately, old habits die hard so I often end up with a lot of swing from the shoulder and very vertical ultra thin contact but still think I am making small progress:

https://youtu.be/J0Xp2JBRi7o

Thank you for any criticism and advice.

Are you practicing to a known return location? I think that would help with your consistency. Maybe a little too much arm on the forehand as you seem rushed, but I understand that feeling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 568  Next