OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 19:14

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 05 Sep 2017, 13:58 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Assumed it was because I was in Nigeria but seems likely that a major router that is usually connecting outsiders to Australia is down.

I just used a VPN to the States and it's unreachable there too.

For everyone who isn't living in Australia, there has never been a better time to move here. Spring is on the way, ttEDGE videos are readily available and we aren't very close to North Korea.

ROFL! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 08:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
I realize this is now the LTT series thread and not really the ETTS series any more, but I have a video update to ETTS06, serve recovery. My recovery is still crap. My problems with balance and third ball consistency all start with this. The video is two points from a tournament yesterday. I actually won this match 3 nil and was pretty psyched about it, but on video good Lord, I'm completely side-on to the table when the serve lands on my opponent's side. I've only been working on this five days a week for two effing years and I still don't turn my hips into the serve at all. Maybe that missing hip rotation is the link between this topic and the recent LTT vids.

I think the first one was just a good block. If you expected the ball to go to the forehand, what a nice setup. Maybe you could have placed it better but I don't think you did much wrong.

On the second one you ran around my Bermuda triangle, as I call it now, because I am never found there. The triangle is close to the table on my forehand side. I am either on the backhand side or 1-3 steps back trying to get to a forehand ball. Never close to the table on the forehand side. I have no answers except deliberate practice for any of these mistakes.

Maybe our savior will have something for us.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 21:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
BRS wrote:
I realize this is now the LTT series thread and not really the ETTS series any more, but I have a video update to ETTS06, serve recovery. My recovery is still crap. My problems with balance and third ball consistency all start with this. The video is two points from a tournament yesterday. I actually won this match 3 nil and was pretty psyched about it, but on video good Lord, I'm completely side-on to the table when the serve lands on my opponent's side. I've only been working on this five days a week for two effing years and I still don't turn my hips into the serve at all. Maybe that missing hip rotation is the link between this topic and the recent LTT vids.

I think the first one was just a good block. If you expected the ball to go to the forehand, what a nice setup. Maybe you could have placed it better but I don't think you did much wrong.

He has tricky blocks because of the Seemiller grip. His swing zigs and the ball zags. But what I did wrong was to get my weight outside my feet because I was so late. The forehand should have been an easy sidestep. I tried to get a still from the video.
If anyone knows how to embed the .png help please.https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-oIjjSlGlx6YWl6U25ZdEhoa00/view?usp=drivesdk

It didn't matter in this match, I won even moving like Godzilla on quaaludes. But against much higher-rated players I can't afford to give up table position for nothing. It's not a hard thing to fix, in theory.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 11:00 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Just watched DTTS 6 & 13 on the TTEdge site. These are standard videos. Well done to Ben on producing excellent videos for club players. Especially DTTS6 looks like its aimed specifically at our club players as these rallies are very common from all but the top few A grade players and is what we see every night in comp and what we try to teach our mid A to B grade. In fact the push rally between Brett and Ben made me chuckle and it felt like I was watching the 5th set of an A grade game. This particular drill is excellent and one that I'm going to do myself and have a couple other people in mind that will also find this beneficial.

Well done again Ben (and Brett).

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 13:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
LTT81 and DTT15 are now available on ttEDGE.com

LTT81 is about using your hips on the backhand counter hit. I'd say it's a 9/10 important concept and it's one of the difference between elite and club players.

DTT15 is an extremely popular exercise among elite players.

Looks like I already do this even when looping, especially a little bit away from the net to attempt to muster more power.

One of the better players at the club today said that my backhand looks like a pros sometimes. I'll take that compliment :D

Edit: The more I thought about it, this is some pretty high end teaching here - something we don't even notice even when watching pros. It feels really good going down the line too.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 08:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT82 and DTT16 are now available on ttEDGE.com

LTT82 should be pretty obvious by now however I try to get all my students hitting in this way. It's so easy to overlook.

DTT16 is also something I've incorporated into a normal session with more advanced students.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 08:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

LTT81 is about using your hips on the backhand counter hit. I'd say it's a 9/10 important concept and it's one of the difference between elite and club players.

Looks like I already do this even when looping, especially a little bit away from the net to attempt to muster more power.

One of the better players at the club today said that my backhand looks like a pros sometimes. I'll take that compliment :D

Edit: The more I thought about it, this is some pretty high end teaching here - something we don't even notice even when watching pros. It feels really good going down the line too.

Your backhand topspin is great. Watch how subtle your LTT80 movement is. Once you know why you have a great shot, you can work towards making it better by making the move faster.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7lYq3Dm ... e=youtu.be

Last edited by Brett Clarke on 11 Sep 2017, 09:41, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 09:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Congratulations to BRS for breaking 2000 for the first time :clap: :clap: :clap: Ben has been a major contributor to the LTT Series, so many thanks to him.

Attachment:
Ben Swift.JPG
Ben Swift.JPG [ 69.23 KiB | Viewed 1771 times ]

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 09:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Congratulations to BRS for breaking 2000 for the first time :clap: :clap: :clap: Ben has been a major contributor to the LTT Series, so many thanks to him.

Attachment:
Ben Swift.JPG

Wow! Congrats. Someone who has put the effort in.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 09:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Is there value in taking a few steps back from the table and practice counter looping for the lower level players? I've been struggling to get a guy I play with to really loop the ball and have been trying it as a way to get feel for the spin required. I should mention that I'm not asking for advise on how to coach, but in general is that a good exercise for players who are 1200-1800 rated? I've been using it as a warm up even right after counter hitting.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 09:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

If you can do LTT81 smoothly, it's impossible to tell the difference between you and a pro.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 09:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Is there value in taking a few steps back from the table and practice counter looping for the lower level players? I've been struggling to get a guy I play with to really loop the ball and have been trying it as a way to get feel for the spin required. I should mention that I'm not asking for advise on how to coach, but in general is that a good exercise for players who are 1200-1800 rated? I've been using it as a warm up even right after counter hitting.

LTT16 is appropriate for people who have good technique. If the guy is struggling to loop against block with correct technique, LTT16 could mess him up.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2017, 21:17 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:
Ben Swift.JPG

Just like Ben to to give no prior warning. Congrats!

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 00:12 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
There definitely can be. It can be easier for some people to loop if they take the ball later, but over time, they have to get better at taking the ball earlier.

wilkinru wrote:

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 03:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:
Ben Swift.JPG

Breaking 2000 like a Boss! Congrats!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!