OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:02

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2017, 20:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
Another possible video idea. I have just realized (with bretts help!) just how important is a fast takeback on the backswing in all the table tennis strokes This fast takeback is essential for a good whip pattern which leads to a much faster racket head speed. The shots come much more explosive. More spin, more speed and much harder to read. (eg serves, flips, backhand etc)
No one has told me to do this in 3 years of lessons. I have not read online about this topic too.
I know I rush my strokes. Now I know the main reason why I need to wait much longer before starting a stroke which is to go back fast to get a good whip.
I now know why good players say you have more time to play a stroke than you think.
So I now see a relationship between waiting, a fast takeback with no delay in the end of the backswing, a good whip, fast racket head speed and the correct contact position in regards to the body.
Why is table tennis so hard??
Some ideas for videos??? Maybe having someone do multi ball with different speeds of the ball to train waiting and all of the above mechanics???? Or shadow swings with the correct mechanics and trying to do the same timing and whip mechanics in multiball?? Or examples of players with slow takeback compared to fast?? Or trying to bring more awareness to the correct whip feeling somehow. Has anyone else got some training ideas for videos?

There's very simple drills where the blocker sends one slow and one hard block so you have to wait, or could be one or two slow then one faster block so you have to watch for it. Or you could do the same in a multiball feed.

Isn't there and etts video on that with kiran or somebody?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 02:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett, I have a question about LTT47. In the video you use either hook or fade, but not straight topspin. Is it critical to use sidespin on the shot (probably for a reason I don't understand) apart from making it even deadlier?

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 07:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett, I have a question about LTT47. In the video you use either hook or fade, but not straight topspin. Is it critical to use sidespin on the shot (probably for a reason I don't understand) apart from making it even deadlier?

I think the key is having the huge backswing and looping the s*** out of the ball with a huge follow through. Sidespin not required tho you will probably naturally get some if you are relaxed.

Also...these loops are REALLY fun. I don't think I've hit one this big quite yet outside of practice.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 07:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett, thanks for your content in LTT50. Backhand issues are plaguing me. I blame the recent forehand content; my forehand has been winning so many points lately that I feel like it's my hammer and all balls are nails - so the backhand isn't even being used.

I was going to send you a video with 'low lights' of my training but I realize now you've already done a full video on how to correct the backhand.

Timing is the really difficult part with this backhand for me. I'm fine with really slow balls (backspin) but the ones with speed or which are coming 'medium fast' really throw me off. As a result I find myself stretching my arm out too often, as you show in the video. It's also a good reminder to keep my elbow out.

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2017, 21:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

An attempt to practice pivot against topspin balls. I feel like there is something fishy going on. Somehow when I lunge to the side I start to swing shallow. Is it because I don't get away from the ball enough? I also feel like my shots are too flat. The move is so fast that it is impossible to control the contact.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 01:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
An attempt to practice pivot against topspin balls. I feel like there is something fishy going on. Somehow when I lunge to the side I start to swing shallow. Is it because I don't get away from the ball enough? I also feel like my shots are too flat. The move is so fast that it is impossible to control the contact.

Everything looks good except the finish position. Far too shallow. Probably why it's too flat. Try doing some going down the line against back, no and top spin. You will realize that you need much more height and spin in order to hit the shorter part of the table.

It's a risky shot too due to being blocked cross court is very bad. At the same time it's fun and can win a lot of points if they can't see where you are going.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 03:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I also feel like I don't get away far enough from the ball. In LTT67 Brett said that it is a common cause for swinging shallow on hook shots. And I am obiously too close to the ball. I probably should jump further and lunge more. But due to the whole movement + shot done in a blink of an eye it feels so difficult to do.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 03:59 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
You are fairly close to the table and it is obvious to me that you are moving the ball is being hit because you know where the ball is going to.

Given your forehand technique, this looks fine.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 09:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yeah, I am a bit ahead of time. Once I feel I am on the right track, I will try to wait for a bit longer.

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2017, 22:35 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
Yeah, I am a bit ahead of time. Once I feel I am on the right track, I will try to wait for a bit longer.

That's part of the problem. The way you are doing it now, you are stuck taking the ball off the bounce. Give yourself a little more distance from the table, take the ball slightly later and loop the ball.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 08:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:

It's a little difficult to hit the ball directly on the top at 12 o'clock because it's up a little high. It's easier to hit the ball at 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock. If you feel you can play the ball straight, then it's all good.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 08:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett, thanks for your content in LTT50. Backhand issues are plaguing me. I blame the recent forehand content; my forehand has been winning so many points lately that I feel like it's my hammer and all balls are nails - so the backhand isn't even being used.

I was going to send you a video with 'low lights' of my training but I realize now you've already done a full video on how to correct the backhand.

Timing is the really difficult part with this backhand for me. I'm fine with really slow balls (backspin) but the ones with speed or which are coming 'medium fast' really throw me off. As a result I find myself stretching my arm out too often, as you show in the video. It's also a good reminder to keep my elbow out.

Waiting for the ball to get closer is very important. As the ball changes speed, you have to adjust the timing of your backswing. I spend a lot of time drilling students on this.

It's not a lot different than the serve. On a serve, you need to toss the ball and then wait for the perfect time to start the backswing.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 08:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

Feel free to offer suggestions for the LTT series.

I desperately want the aggressive pivot video you talked about in LTT29.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 08:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT75 and DTT10 are now available on ttEDGE.com

LTT75 is about 4 different types of serving. DTT10 is my favorite exercise...this week.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 09:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

Russ, as you focus on one side (e.g. forehand), the other side tends to deteriorate. You need to train both sides regularly, and combine shots, or you'll find that your game goes out of balance.

LTT50 is an okay video. I feel we need even more content on the topic of timing the backhand topspin.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 144, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150 ... 568  Next