OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 21:56

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 10:52 

Brett Clarke wrote:
Imagine that someone has never played table tennis and they go and downloaded great technique...Matrix style. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YhJxJZOWBw

What would be the outcome? How strong would the player be? The answer is, their rating would probably be lower than USATT 400. Depending on the player's sporting background, the player may not even be able to hit the ball. If someone was 50 years of age and had never tried a ball sport, there's a strong chance they'd miss every single ball on day 1, even though they have "perfect technique".

Perfect Technique - Experience = 0

The above equation sucks because it's expensive. It means that you need to invest in experiences over a long period of time. I personally have 36 years of experience and that's a lot of my life.

Experience - Perfect Technique = Capped (aka Limited Potential)

The above equation sucks because you need proper coaching, which is hard to find. I personally didn't receive the coaching I needed at the age of 10-15.

Russ (wilkinru) is an extremely interesting table table player. He has really good technique, which he has learned from ttEDGE. He has done an excellent job at following instructions and most of his technique is nearing flawless. He is one of the few players I know that doesn't need a lot more "coaching", especially on his forehand topspin.

The thing with Russ is, he's still has a really long road ahead if he is to ever break 2000. In my experience, there are almost no players with Russ' technical understanding that don't play at a very high level. Russ is alone. Russ "knows" more about technique than the average 2500 level player, based on my experience at dealing with players at all levels. Russ can also demonstrate the techniques in training and matches.

Experience is king. A player's experience is everything from how much "catch" he/she played as a kid to how many tt matches he/she has played. Experience is how many forehands you've hit against a range of opponents. Experience is how much sport one played in their youth. Experience is 90% of one's level. Experience can't be taught or bought.

In Florida, I randomly told Russ that he should go to China to train. I was really just talking for the sake of talking, but there was some logic in my madness. If you already know the shots, you need to poor on the practice/experience. Training with a robot or hitting balls with the guys from work probably isn't going to propel you to the next level, regardless of how good your technique is. China sucks for coaching, but it's great for training.

Perfect Technique - Experience = 0
Experience - Perfect Technique = Capped (aka Limited Potential)

Thanks Brett. I love this post. There have been countless times I've felt frustrated losing to someone who I felt like I should have won. In reality, of course, I shouldn't have won because I wasn't the better player. Most the time that feeling is because I feel like I've got much better (or at least more standard) technique. The difference in skill nearly always comes from the difference in experience. A great post and something that's important to remember in those situations!!

EDIT:
Thanks NextLevel, Brett and wilkinru for the comments! I actually forgot about LTT116 during that session. Thanks for the reminder :) Before free play, we were doing backhand to backhand rallies, and during that time I was focusing on the bowing movement. I think that also helped. The arm and body coordination could definitely still use more work. For me, just getting the timing right to hit the ball like that is a big win. It's taken a lot of practice to not reach for the ball like what Brett showed as a common mistake in LTT116. Looking forward to learning and improving more through TTEdge and with you guys here!

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 12:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
mickd wrote:
I had a very interesting session today. I'll post more about it when I have time to go through the video and talk about it.

Anyway, for the last 3 months or so, I had to cut my table tennis down from like 4-5 days a week to like 1-2 days a week. So it was nice to see that I had a mini revelation during practice. Something I feel that once I can incorporate into my game, I would have gone up 1-2 levels.

This is unrelated to the above, but during free play I had a really nice point. I just wanted to share it :) There were a lot of nice shots, but this one just felt special since I've finally started to get a more aggressive backhand into my game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cTvMmabcfo

Perfect mickd!

I don't think the arm and body were very coordinated. Still it looked cool.

Dude, don't be a quibbler. Look at the ball react off the total fail of a block.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 12:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
I think mickd's shot was a great example of the one from LTT101 (the part where Brett talks about rotating into the ball on the side of one's body). The ball was perfectly on the side, and he could massively turn into it.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 13:56 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
I think mickd's shot was a great example of the one from LTT101 (the part where Brett talks about rotating into the ball on the side of one's body). The ball was perfectly on the side, and he could massively turn into it.

Yes the ball was on his right hip so he used more torso twist than bow though he did both. Ultimately I still think of LTT116 as play a proper backhand after a proper forehand don't just wave tour had at the ball. A proper backhand will involve some kind of two step process but the details may change depending on the ball and your technique.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 14:09 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
Richfs wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Richfs wrote:
I'm making a little compilation video similar to Fastmovers that I'll post soon.. it's giving me some motivation. It's such a shame I couldn't make it to the camp, it's exactly what I'd need right now.

Don't forget to add some badass music!

I'm quite a fan of some russian rap actually. But I'll be going with something more chill for this video. I hope to make more of these kinds of vids then I'll go for some more badass music ;)

wilkinru wrote:

After the first day of proper training and realizing I didn't get much instruction made me realize all of this. I probably spent an hour in the middle of the night, every night in FL thinking about this stuff.

Getting better, for me, boils down to hard work. Lots of it. Proper TT technique requires a lot of effort. When I saw Brett pivot for a loop my brain went off as that's something I'm not doing. It's even more physical than I was doing previously! I probably do an hour of leg stretching and self massage for every 2 hours of TT played right now. It's painful. I'm not in great shape for this 2500 level stuff. I'd probably play more and be better right now if I didn't play like I do.

I've talked to my best friend about it. I told him my options were to quit and peruse new things to learn (this is my true addiction) or just accept the player I am and enjoy it or step it up a little bit and do more TT but still do other goals in life or lastly go hardcore "Evan" style and train much harder. After talking to Evan maybe not that hardcore! (I love you dude!)

Last night I saw a kid (from Germany) who had a proper 2 step backhand and used all of his body for a proper forehand. I'm not going to say his technique was flawless but he sure had a lot of things correct. Literally the only other player in the club who I could say that about(of the people there). I would rate him around 900. The speed of the game, returning serve, serving, attacking more aggressively just isn't there for him. So perhaps I am not alone.

One nice thing about me and German kid is that we both don't need to break 2000 tomorrow or ever. We can get exercise and play solid table tennis for years and years. I'm happy to have learned solid technique much sooner than others at my level. It doesn't mean I'm better than them...but now it just comes down to what I put into it.

For so many players (it's hard to put enough emphasis on how many) they get stuck at a certain level and have no way to get out of it.

I really like this post. Where I lived in England the first few years before uni I played league matches and once a week at a sport center. The level was so low I'm pretty sure I didn't encounter a single person who could play a topspin ball in the first year or two of playing. Once, my teammate used my bat by accident. A bat was a bat he said to me after the match. I was certainly the type of player who had zero understanding. Things changed a little when I moved and went to uni. I got exposure to better players and that's when I wanted to play as much as I could, whenever I could. The biggest difference since moving back to Sweden has been exposure to proper practice and even better players than when I was at uni. The other world of difference more recently is ttedge, Brett, you guys which has bumped up my understanding to a whole new level. Now it's up to me to apply it.. and as you say it makes you realize how difficult it all really is. But I think it is the way to improve as an adult, especially for those who don't have amazing players around them that they can look at and learn from. It depends on the person too, ttedge is especially good for me because I need to be told what to do.. I can't seem to figure it out just watching other players (though that helps too).

We just have to be a little careful to not let it get us down and become too obsessed with improving or that we must improve because of this developed understanding. We need to make the most of it and play because we love to play. There are few things I enjoy more than hitting this little ball on a table. There's something about playing TT that I can't get enough of, even if I've had some lows I cannot stop.

Remember you are in Sweden which is the most advanced TT in Europe along with Germany and France. To get the quality of opponents in the UK you are facing regularly you'd be talking about only a handful of local leagues in the whole country, more commonly it would be at regional tournaments and things. Most local leagues would have one or two players at those sort of levels in the whole league at the most, many of the smaller ones would have none.

Forget about the results. It's about the process. Especially when we are talking practice matches. I'd be more keeping score of how often I did things I was working on correctly than the actual score. Stuff will suddenly "click" down the line and you will find you do things subconsciously again and you go up a level.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 14:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

Dude, don't be a quibbler. Look at the ball react off the total fail of a block.

I had to watch it 6 times at .25 and I did see some body coordination.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 17:06 

fastmover wrote:

Thanks for bringing that up! I just watched it for the first time and learned a lot from it.

wilkinru wrote:
I had to watch it 6 times at .25 and I did see some body coordination.

I think for both forehands, I was out of position so my body coordination was probably affected by that. Footwork and anticipation to blame. The last ball came into my strike zone, giving me more leeway to use my body!

My partner wouldn't be rated very high, but he's good at blocking spinny balls, especially with his backhand. I think the quality of the forehands I hit were still decent, though there's always room for improvement and I always strive for it!

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 17:25 

So during yesterday's practice, I hit one really fast ball during the drive against block time. It felt like I had no arm, yet magically the ball just blasted back at lightning speed. I finally experienced solely using the body to hit the ball. I asked my partner if he would mind me trying to replicate it. He was happy to help so there began like 10 minutes of "powerful forehands".

Unfortunately, I wasn't recording it. It stayed on my mind, so before we started free play I asked if he would mind doing it again, but this time I'd record it. Of course, he said yes.

I didn't get the exact feeling, but I got pretty close. It felt like I had no arms. I just rotated my body and pushed my waist forward, and magically the ball somehow hit my racket and blasted back at my partner.

He had a lot of trouble blocking it even once the first 10 minutes, but during the second session when I took the camera out, he got better at it (though the quality of ball I was hitting felt a little lower than the first 10 minutes).

Control/placement was an issue, but the quality of the forehand felt extremely high. There was a good amount of spin too.

When I got home I had a look at the videos and to my surprise, I actually thought I looked a little stiff. It didn't feel that way at all. It just felt like I was rotating my body into the ball.

Here's a short clip of some of them. Some of the rallies went to like 3-4 balls but not all of those had that feeling. Usually the first ball I hit did, and some of the rally balls did.

What do you guys see?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pVYDeu93_U

It also reminded me of the WorldRubberMarket video I subtitled a few months ago about Yassun's powerful forehand, which for the people who haven't seen it, is here (https://youtu.be/oX31FTT_dPc, turn on English subtitles).

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 21:12 

FruitLoop wrote:
Remember you are in Sweden which is the most advanced TT in Europe along with Germany and France. To get the quality of opponents in the UK you are facing regularly you'd be talking about only a handful of local leagues in the whole country, more commonly it would be at regional tournaments and things. Most local leagues would have one or two players at those sort of levels in the whole league at the most, many of the smaller ones would have none.

Forget about the results. It's about the process. Especially when we are talking practice matches. I'd be more keeping score of how often I did things I was working on correctly than the actual score. Stuff will suddenly "click" down the line and you will find you do things subconsciously again and you go up a level.

Thanks for this Fruitloop, you're completely right.

mickd wrote:
So during yesterday's practice, I hit one really fast ball during the drive against block time. It felt like I had no arm, yet magically the ball just blasted back at lightning speed. I finally experienced solely using the body to hit the ball. I asked my partner if he would mind me trying to replicate it. He was happy to help so there began like 10 minutes of "powerful forehands".

Unfortunately, I wasn't recording it. It stayed on my mind, so before we started free play I asked if he would mind doing it again, but this time I'd record it. Of course, he said yes.

I didn't get the exact feeling, but I got pretty close. It felt like I had no arms. I just rotated my body and pushed my waist forward, and magically the ball somehow hit my racket and blasted back at my partner.

He had a lot of trouble blocking it even once the first 10 minutes, but during the second session when I took the camera out, he got better at it (though the quality of ball I was hitting felt a little lower than the first 10 minutes).

Control/placement was an issue, but the quality of the forehand felt extremely high. There was a good amount of spin too.

When I got home I had a look at the videos and to my surprise, I actually thought I looked a little stiff. It didn't feel that way at all. It just felt like I was rotating my body into the ball.

Here's a short clip of some of them. Some of the rallies went to like 3-4 balls but not all of those had that feeling. Usually the first ball I hit did, and some of the rally balls did.

What do you guys see?

It also reminded me of the WorldRubberMarket video I subtitled a few months ago about Yassun's powerful forehand, which for the people who haven't seen it, is here (https://youtu.be/oX31FTT_dPc, turn on English subtitles).

I think it looks good, especially the first one.. you loaded your left thigh with your body weight and rotated your hips forwarded perfectly. I think this is where the emphasis should be. Perhaps the first one is going better for you because you have more time to load your left thigh making the timing easier for you, then when you're about to hit the next FH you have less time so your body automatically follows function and doesn't load the thigh as much making it more difficult to explode your hip into the ball.

I did FH all over the table the other day and compared it to Lin Gaoyuan here https://youtu.be/lbDZH53LbsM?t=374. What struck me was how much weight he had put on his left thigh compared to me, it's like an L. I tried it in practice and got tired very quickly. But being able to do that and to do the hip clap which Brett mentions in LTT108 seems to be the key. Doing that hip rotation/clap quickly with good timing should lead to a lot of power. If the timing is a little off you can get mixed results like one ball suddenly becoming very spinny but having little power etc. but it doesn't mean the technique is wrong, right?

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 22:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

mickd wrote:

It's good mickd. Continue to load that left leg and push the hip around.

Teach your partner how to use his body to block. Tell him to stabilize his arm and rotate his torso to make the fh block.

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 22:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FruitLoop wrote:
Forget about the results. ... Especially when we are talking practice matches. I'd be more keeping score of how often I did things I was working on correctly ...

Brian Pace gave me this advice six years ago and mentally I just lacked the discipline to do it until recently, and still sometines not. I can't overstate how inportant this is. Nobody cares how many practice matches you win.

Brian was training in europe and he was supposed to be working on his bh bc his fh was way stronger. But he was losing a practice match playing bhs, so he started with all fhs. He won and came off the table all happy, and the coach tore him to shreds for not working what he was supposed to.

I still tell myself that when I'm playing stupidly trying to let someone lose to me instead of trying to win it myself. Nobody cares how many practice matches you win.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 22:50 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

mickd wrote:

What do you guys see?

The reason why you don't think you are using your arm is that you are barely using your upper arm. In fact, it is quite possible to loop if you mostly spin your torso with your hips and have the right degree of fold. Because most of us tried to swing at the ball.with our arms while learning and ingrained upper arm habits, we still have them. But the backswing and forward swing is almost entirely activated by torso and hip rotation when you are playing powerful shots. The arm usage can ad a little extra leverage and spin but if you feel you are taking your arm back rather than rotating your torso, you likely aren't playing your optimal forehand topspin power wise (though that other shot may have its place for other things).

I have been trying to work really hard on it while maintaining a spin oriented focus. Gotta have patience...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 31 May 2019, 23:02 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Haven't checked in on this thread for an astonishingly long time - wow it's huge. Just reading the most recent stuff, has the ttedge teaching around FH evolved since the earliest days of whip mechanics, or is this now just a deeper and more holistic understanding of what that meant?

I'm still a paying ttedge subscriber, but now there are literally hundreds of videos - it would take me a year to watch them... where do you point new people, or people interested in catching up?

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 00:36 

Blade: Yinhee V-14 Pro
FH: MX-P
BH: Vega Europe
Allow me to introduce myself...by saying I will soon be asking advice and I dare say my circumstances will be outside the norm of what you usually see and comment upon.

I first learned to hold a paddle as a youth and chose Chinese penhold because it was different. Never really played beyond infrequent basement stuff and some sandpaper in the college rec hall around 1970. Not a misprint. I am 68 yrs old. I live in a portion of USA with little to no organized TT. However, fast forward to my early 60's and retirement from gainful employment and I was introduced to more focused table tennis. I began playing weekly, then biweekly and now 7 or 8 years later 6 or 7 times a week. I also had a new build on my property with a good sized dedicated TT room, with competition grade table, lighting and heat and decent floor and even bought a robot for whatever value that can add.

I began reading the three main table tennis forums in about 2012, including OOAK. Unless traveling, I look in each day. I can assure you I have read ALL pages of this thread, "TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series." Due to NextLevel's posts here and other forums I became interested in TTEdge and started following every reference and trying to apply concepts to my game. Finally last year I decided to get more committed and became a paying premium member...but have not yet posted any video for personal feedback. My reasoning for that is somewhat weak, as I am not well versed in the technical side of working up a video, editing it to manageable size and uploading. I am here vowing to rectify that in the next month.

TTEdge (and time on the table) has made a significant improvement in my game. From stumbling beginner, I now can manage to assert myself well for my area. I have only played one USATT rated tournament (6 hour drive from here) in my life, a couple of years ago. It felt abysmal in that I was wooden and clutzy. I came out with a rating of a bit under 1300. A more recent, non USATT event gave me a Ratings Central of 1127±76. Those numbers feel somewhat meaningless in terms of my skill levels because I know I swing wildly in play level from outing to outing and sometimes within the same day... The mental game? :( Consistency is one of my goals! Against better players in my area I sometimes take games or matches off 1750 to 1850 level players and they suggest that my normal "decent" days may be in the 1600 range. All that is to give you an idea of where my struggles lie. I first settled in as a close to table blocker and hitter and am gradually adding new elements to my strokes. Sometimes I move...too often I don't. From all TPB I now use some RPB on receive and a few random change ups. I am introducing more and more topspin to my strokes, at least part of the time. Adding "whip" and "bow" and "hip" have become wonderful things to work on!

If you have read this far, thanks for you attention. I will be attending a non-rated event mid-June and will report results, good or bad, maybe with video. I will be traveling to Philadelphia in early/mid July and with luck might make it to NextLevels club to see some play above the 1800ish ceiling in my area! To be updated...

PostPosted: 01 Jun 2019, 03:44 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Styk wrote:
Allow me to introduce myself...by saying I will soon be asking advice and I dare say my circumstances will be outside the norm of what you usually see and comment upon.

I first learned to hold a paddle as a youth and chose Chinese penhold because it was different. Never really played beyond infrequent basement stuff and some sandpaper in the college rec hall around 1970. Not a misprint. I am 68 yrs old. I live in a portion of USA with little to no organized TT. However, fast forward to my early 60's and retirement from gainful employment and I was introduced to more focused table tennis. I began playing weekly, then biweekly and now 7 or 8 years later 6 or 7 times a week. I also had a new build on my property with a good sized dedicated TT room, with competition grade table, lighting and heat and decent floor and even bought a robot for whatever value that can add.

I began reading the three main table tennis forums in about 2012, including OOAK. Unless traveling, I look in each day. I can assure you I have read ALL pages of this thread, "TTEdge Executing Table Tennis Shots Series." Due to NextLevel's posts here and other forums I became interested in TTEdge and started following every reference and trying to apply concepts to my game. Finally last year I decided to get more committed and became a paying premium member...but have not yet posted any video for personal feedback. My reasoning for that is somewhat weak, as I am not well versed in the technical side of working up a video, editing it to manageable size and uploading. I am here vowing to rectify that in the next month.

TTEdge (and time on the table) has made a significant improvement in my game. From stumbling beginner, I now can manage to assert myself well for my area. I have only played one USATT rated tournament (6 hour drive from here) in my life, a couple of years ago. It felt abysmal in that I was wooden and clutzy. I came out with a rating of a bit under 1300. A more recent, non USATT event gave me a Ratings Central of 1127±76. Those numbers feel somewhat meaningless in terms of my skill levels because I know I swing wildly in play level from outing to outing and sometimes within the same day... The mental game? :( Consistency is one of my goals! Against better players in my area I sometimes take games or matches off 1750 to 1850 level players and they suggest that my normal "decent" days may be in the 1600 range. All that is to give you an idea of where my struggles lie. I first settled in as a close to table blocker and hitter and am gradually adding new elements to my strokes. Sometimes I move...too often I don't. From all TPB I now use some RPB on receive and a few random change ups. I am introducing more and more topspin to my strokes, at least part of the time. Adding "whip" and "bow" and "hip" have become wonderful things to work on!

If you have read this far, thanks for you attention. I will be attending a non-rated event mid-June and will report results, good or bad, maybe with video. I will be traveling to Philadelphia in early/mid July and with luck might make it to NextLevels club to see some play above the 1800ish ceiling in my area! To be updated...

I am always jealous of people who have retired and can just play TT.

Please do let me know if or when you show up at Trolley. Happy to have you here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 366, 367, 368, 369, 370, 371, 372 ... 568  Next