OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:28

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 00:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
No problem.

I was confused about pivot technique for my entire playing career, which was about 25 years. If I could go back 20 and teach myself the pivot, I know I'd have had much better results. I use to step around, put all my weight on my right leg (I'm left handed), get stuck and spin the ball up high in desperation. Good players would make the counter-spin even with the 38mm ball. I needed to put all the weight onto my left leg, then step away and into the ball as I was playing the shot.

The confusion continues! In LTT42 you show that on a pivot the stroke is over by the time the left foot touches the ground. At the same time in LTT29 the left foot gets planted by the end of the backswing and the ball hitting the table on your side. I am talking about a rightie. What is the proper way? I suspect that LTT42 is, but I am confused.

It would depend on how much time you have. I mentioned somewhere above that I was a little ahead of time in LTT29 as was Ma Lin in the video your posted. I also said that Ma Lin's training was in an acceptable range. We both knew where the ball was going. In a match, I wouldn't know where the ball is going so I probably wouldn't be able to plant my left leg and then move it again. In general, you should still be lunging as you are hitting the ball, unless you are ahead of time.

A small question: is it true that lunging during the pivot is done for taking the ball further from the body at the impact? Or it is for something else?

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 01:07 

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
No problem.

The confusion continues! In LTT42 you show that on a pivot the stroke is over by the time the left foot touches the ground. At the same time in LTT29 the left foot gets planted by the end of the backswing and the ball hitting the table on your side. I am talking about a rightie. What is the proper way? I suspect that LTT42 is, but I am confused.

It would depend on how much time you have. I mentioned somewhere above that I was a little ahead of time in LTT29 as was Ma Lin in the video your posted. I also said that Ma Lin's training was in an acceptable range. We both knew where the ball was going. In a match, I wouldn't know where the ball is going so I probably wouldn't be able to plant my left leg and then move it again. In general, you should still be lunging as you are hitting the ball, unless you are ahead of time.

A small question: is it true that lunging during the pivot is done for taking the ball further from the body at the impact? Or it is for something else?

My guess is that the major function of the lunge is to create massive weight transfer to put a ton of power into the shot.
The lunge does help me get my body away from the ball as well though, but I assume that's because I'm behind in moving to hit the shot.

I'd love to hear Brett's answer and others as well.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 01:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Red Roar wrote:
My guess is that the major function of the lunge is to create massive weight transfer to put a ton of power into the shot.
The lunge does help me get my body away from the ball as well though, but I assume that's because I'm behind in moving to hit the shot.

I'd love to hear Brett's answer and others as well.

I guess that default mode in playing pivot properly is being behind in moving to the shot a little bit. Otherwise it will be overanticipating and moving in position way ahead of schedule.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 01:50 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

I need to do DTT6. I've been having my practice partners feed long underspin anywhere and I loop all fhs. But that isn't match-like, since I don't automatically pivot on every push, although judging by drill results I'd probably win more points if I did.

I've been pivoting pretty much every ball lately, even tho my backhand is/was my go-to. I just feel like I end up with more time and a more consistent shot with the forehand. I actually have to remind myself to hit a backhand sometimes for the 3rd ball.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 02:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

For pendulum serving I think without a doubt ETTS40 "Dan's Pendulum" is the best video ever made. The key is making sure the wrist breaks back to the angle shown in the video. I apparently had all other pieces together but was not "reaching" enough with the wrist. I made some simply amazing practice serves last night making sure I bent the wrist enough. It really explains why sometimes my serve wasn't as good as other times. I now have something to really focus on to basically guarantee quality spin.

I wish I could get this same instruction on the backhand serve to make actual heavy spin.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 09:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
LTT71 and DTT6 are available on ttEDGE.com

DTT6 is fantastic. I just wish I could convince people that they actually need to loop more.

If you start loop-killing their pushes they will soon be convinced they need to loop more. Or you won't be playing them again, either way it's a win for you.

I need to do DTT6. I've been having my practice partners feed long underspin anywhere and I loop all fhs. But that isn't match-like, since I don't automatically pivot on every push, although judging by drill results I'd probably win more points if I did. DTT 6 should be good training to loop when I get a push back after pushing back a serve, which happens a lot, especially in tournaments when everyone is nervous and just wants the other guy to lose to them.

LTT 71 was good too. Kent serves a lot half-long to my fh. Trying to use the full shoulder swing doesn't work, so I have invented some ugly, non-TT swings to compensate. Focusing on the wrist should help there.

DTT6 is very effective. I mostly use it with learning adults who lack the confidence to attack, even after their technique is solid. Making a bunch of loops against push can change one's mindset. I don't use this exercise with juniors as I want them to attack all long serves and pushes, so I start with a short push or serve.

LTT71 is good knowledge to own. The topic is a little difficult to discuss, but hopefully you guys can do something with it.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 09:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
For pendulum serving I think without a doubt ETTS40 "Dan's Pendulum" is the best video ever made. The key is making sure the wrist breaks back to the angle shown in the video. I apparently had all other pieces together but was not "reaching" enough with the wrist. I made some simply amazing practice serves last night making sure I bent the wrist enough. It really explains why sometimes my serve wasn't as good as other times. I now have something to really focus on to basically guarantee quality spin.

I wish I could get this same instruction on the backhand serve to make actual heavy spin.

ETTS40 is good because it demonstrates a regular serve by a competent player. Dan's serve 'error' is one of the most common for a 2000 type player. There should be more ETTS videos because it's always easy to relate to other player's struggles. Most common mistakes are quite generic.

I just added backhand serve to the list. I've actually worked on student's backhand serves a lot lately, so it's good timing. Almost everyone makes the same mistakes on backhand serves.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 09:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

From now on, everyone must include their Ratings Central details before posting on this thread. I've included mine below:

Obviously I'm kidding. I didn't even know this existed until 'elbowed' from this forum (and ETTS29) pointed it out to me. It's obviously a very broken system too as I'm the number one ranked Aus player, well ahead of Henzell, Powell, etc.

Attachment:
ratings central BC.JPG
ratings central BC.JPG [ 27.49 KiB | Viewed 1828 times ]

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 11:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
From now on, everyone must include their Ratings Central details before posting on this thread. I've included mine below:

Obviously I'm kidding. I didn't even know this existed until 'elbowed' from this forum (and ETTS29) pointed it out to me. It's obviously a very broken system too as I'm the number one ranked Aus player, well ahead of Henzell, Powell, etc.

Attachment:
ratings central BC.JPG

So which side of the +/- 257 are you? :devil:

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 11:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:
ratings central BC.JPG

As I'm not World or Olympic Champion, I think it becomes self evident.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2017, 13:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:
ratings central BC.JPG

As I'm not World or Olympic Champion, I think it becomes self evident.

Come to the US Open in Dec...I think you'd have a chance! I'm not recommending this because I'd get coaching that week then...

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 06:30 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:
ratings central BC.JPG

How many of those great Australians ever beat Japanese lefties at any age? LOL.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 09:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:
ratings central BC.JPG

How many of those great Australians ever beat Japanese lefties at any age? LOL.

I'm too old and tired to continue this conversation.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 15:50 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:
ratings central BC.JPG

You're only as good as your last game is what they say.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 16:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The pivot lunge is for power and getting away from the ball. In situations where you don't have a lot of time, the lunge is the only option to put some distance between you and the ball. This is why I want players to do the lunge, regardless of how much time they have in training. Knowing where the ball is going is often the enemy of learning good technique, especially footwork.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!