OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 15:12

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 00:37 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Placement and variation are both important.

But the most important is technique!

Lolol. I know you are joking but I think I have to give my opinion on this.

Yes the technique is important but in a match your technique is your technique. With whatever technique you have, placement and variation are important. Even if the ball is soft. If you place it to somewhere the opponent has to move to play a quality ball, below 2200 level good things tend to happen. Especially whe thr placement is to the elbow area if the opponent is tall or to the wide angles if the opponent is short.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 00:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
NextLevel wrote:
fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Placement and variation are both important.

But the most important is technique!

Lolol. I know you are joking .

I am actually not! What I mean is that ziv should post a video of his flick. It is a very technique-sensitive shot.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 00:52 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
I am actually not! What I mean is that ziv should post a video of his flick. It is a very technique-sensitive shot.

This is true. That said when someone talks about how easy it is for someone to return a shot, i focus on placement and deception not technique, as even at the lower levels, it is easier to return s shot I'd tou always know where it is going.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 01:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If every time you tried to hit the ball it went into the net, how are you sure it was no-spin? Maybe it was a bad backspin serve that only got light backspin?

Returning short serves with pips is a challenge. Mima Ito can make a pro-quality short push, but she practices a little more than us.

My proposed solution to this problem is to learn a proper quality long flat push with the inverted side for short serves to my fh.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 03:18 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
BRS wrote:
If every time you tried to hit the ball it went into the net, how are you sure it was no-spin? Maybe it was a bad backspin serve that only got light backspin?

Returning short serves with pips is a challenge. Mima Ito can make a pro-quality short push, but she practices a little more than us.

My proposed solution to this problem is to learn a proper quality long flat push with the inverted side for short serves to my fh.

It might have had a little backspin, yes.
My shots went into the net because I was hitting flat, and since the ball was relatively low, its natural trajectory ended in the top of the net. It's possible that the timing wasn't perfect, too (meaning that I was simply late to the hit).

Isn't a long flat push easy to attack?

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 04:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
BRS wrote:

It might have had a little backspin, yes.
My shots went into the net because I was hitting flat, and since the ball was relatively low, its natural trajectory ended in the top of the net. It's possible that the timing wasn't perfect, too (meaning that I was simply late to the hit).

Isn't a long flat push easy to attack?

No, not if it is fast and deep. It has to be a quality long push, that is true.

With the pips if you drop the tip of the bat a little you can hit those low light backspin balls. A coach at B75 named Chuqin Feng showed me that in multiball. She played professionally when cpen SP was the big thing.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 22:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Another Saturday at the club has come and gone. I played TJ for my first match and won 3-1. Unfortunately I wasn't recording, so I can't tell if I played that much better, or he was just taking it easy. Ironically if I had been recording I probably would have lost in five. Because up 2-1, 8-4, I started seeing the finish line and tightened up, at the same time he focused more, and it went to 8-8. The pressure to not put another epic choke on video probably would have been enough to make me choke. But with no video I told myself to stop being an idiot, and finished it 11-8.

So instead of that, here's three minutes of points with weaker players and some loop v chop with a different chopper. The first point is one of the few new and improved serve recoveries I did. Mostly I did my usual, but putting a handful of new ones on tape is progress.

The next bit is the third and final set of a match vs a weaker player. He's been waiting on my table all the time lately, and it's one reason I don't like to work on stuff by playing matches vs bad players. The sets end up being close, and some guys kind of make it their mission in life to get over the hump. Which they think is close, but it isn't.

This guy is not a bad player, very consistent, but he doesn't make spin. He likes to warm up his spinless shots for a really long time so sometimes I get impatient. In this case the old chopper guy was waiting for me to loop at him.

And that was it for practice. One good match, four mediocre to bad matches, some chop, and one fun doubles match to finish. Not a lot of quality reps for a full day of TT.

https://youtu.be/YsIqzV8J3Uc

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 23:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Another Saturday at the club has come and gone. I played TJ for my first match and won 3-1. Unfortunately I wasn't recording, so I can't tell if I played that much better, or he was just taking it easy. Ironically if I had been recording I probably would have lost in five. Because up 2-1, 8-4, I started seeing the finish line and tightened up, at the same time he focused more, and it went to 8-8. The pressure to not put another epic choke on video probably would have been enough to make me choke. But with no video I told myself to stop being an idiot, and finished it 11-8.

So instead of that, here's three minutes of points with weaker players and some loop v chop with a different chopper. The first point is one of the few new and improved serve recoveries I did. Mostly I did my usual, but putting a handful of new ones on tape is progress.

The next bit is the third and final set of a match vs a weaker player. He's been waiting on my table all the time lately, and it's one reason I don't like to work on stuff by playing matches vs bad players. The sets end up being close, and some guys kind of make it their mission in life to get over the hump. Which they think is close, but it isn't.

This guy is not a bad player, very consistent, but he doesn't make spin. He likes to warm up his spinless shots for a really long time so sometimes I get impatient. In this case the old chopper guy was waiting for me to loop at him.

And that was it for practice. One good match, four mediocre to bad matches, some chop, and one fun doubles match to finish. Not a lot of quality reps for a full day of TT.

https://youtu.be/YsIqzV8J3Uc

Looks like a good day to me.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 23:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT110 is now available on ttEDGE.com

Yes, It's a video of me watching a computer screen. It will be interesting to see what you guys make of it. It's something I have done for a long time and it has to help a bit.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 00:33 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
What about slowing the pro video up somewhat in LTT110 as they are so f g fast???

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 00:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
What about slowing the pro video up somewhat in LTT110 as they are so f g fast???

If it helps. I can personally read every ball off the opponent's racket because I've been playing forever. But if it feels like it's too fast, give the slow thing a shot

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 00:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Very interesting idea. When I watch the pro I want to play like, :inlove: :inlove: Mima Ito, :inlove: :inlove: I always watch her. I'm hoping to pick up on her technique. It never occurred to me to focus in on her opponent like this. It's funny but not that surprising that the mental error of being over attentive to oneself during a match and ignoring the opponent carries over into watching pro video.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 00:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Very interesting idea. When I watch the pro I want to play like, :inlove: :inlove: Mima Ito, :inlove: :inlove: I always watch her. I'm hoping to pick up on her technique. It never occurred to me to focus in on her opponent like this. It's funny but not that surprising that the mental error of being over attentive to oneself during a match and ignoring the opponent carries over into watching pro video.

I strongly suggest playing with Ito instead. :inlove: Focus in on the opponent's racket area and get involved.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 01:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Haha, so sad that Freitas is a leftie, because he often serves reverse and pivots afterwards. I watched a ton of his matches. Is there any rightie who does that often? I need a role-model for LTT110.

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2019, 01:17 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
I wonder what my wife would think if I started watching TT matches with a racket in my hand and being involved. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317, 318 ... 568  Next