OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 11:46

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 17:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
LTT79 has allowed me to find new equipment...a tensor even. It's called the TFL.

I went with the softest edition apparently and man does it really whip the ball when used correctly.

You can read up on this new equipment here: http://www.tabletennis11.com/TFL

The only downside is that mine is basically worn out already, after only a couple of days practicing LTT79 :(

Thanks again Brett :P

For the record pretty jealous of "Jessie" near the end of LTT79. Big muscles with crazy easy rotation. I'm as far away from that as I am from the moon.

That is very funny!

BTW, I'm turning into a bit of an EJ. NL will be so happy! I'm boosting extremely cheap Chinese rubber and everything! I'm even buying stuff for other people.

Yes, Jesse is a good athlete. He was in our National Junior Team 7 years ago when I was National Head Coach. He's recently started his comeback and he's probably playing at 2350 right now. He could quickly reach 2500 if he continues working on his game.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 21:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Simply curious: is Jesse featured in this video?

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2017, 21:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

[quote="fastmover"]Simply curious: is Jesse featured in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5OtcmQE0aQ[/youtube]

That was Jesse quite a few years ago.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 00:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It is always encouraging to hear about people returning to the sport, especially at that level.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 04:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
I'm boosting extremely cheap Chinese rubber and everything!

I'd like to hear more about this. I've hit with a lot of borrowed setups recently with h3/n/p, skyline 2 & 3, cj8000, ta3 & 5. But most of them aren't boosted, and I want to boost the living daylights out of it. Going to buy a couple sheets and a bottle of cheat juice and experiment in my off-season starting October. But there are too many choices. Share your newfound expertise, please.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 14:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
I'm boosting extremely cheap Chinese rubber and everything!

I'd like to hear more about this. I've hit with a lot of borrowed setups recently with h3/n/p, skyline 2 & 3, cj8000, ta3 & 5. But most of them aren't boosted, and I want to boost the living daylights out of it. Going to buy a couple sheets and a bottle of cheat juice and experiment in my off-season starting October. But there are too many choices. Share your newfound expertise, please.

Okay then BRS. Please consider that I don't play table tennis and I just coach. Boosting is controversial as the rules say you can't alter the rubber, or something similar. This doesn't impact me as I don't compete. In my experience and opinion, 0% of elite players actually care about the rule. Boosting isn't dangerous in any way and it's virtually undetectable. It shouldn't be banned by the ITTF...it should be encouraged!

Anyway, I went down to Woolworths and purchased a 500ml bottle of baby oil (no fragrance) for approx USD$2. This will boost about 1 million rubbers. Baby oil is almost 100% mineral oil which is the key to boosting. Then I purchased Yinhe Mercury 2 rubber from Aliexpress for approx USD$5. It's a wonderful rubber for the price, especially when you boost it well. Like all Chinese rubber, it's a little heavy.

So, I applied a very thin layer of normal white glue to the sponge and waited for it to fully dry (15 mins). Then, with a sponge, applied a very thin layer of baby oil onto the sponge. Then I applied another layer of baby oil every 24 hours for 2 straight days (Don't use baby oil on the surface of the rubber). Then on the 4th (or even 5th day), I just glued the sponge and the blade with normal glue, waited for it to dry, and stuck them together.

This is not newfound expertise. I was using this technique in 2008.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 21:03 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
And the million dollar question: how does this compare to the amazing T05?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 06:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

We have to prevent this thread from slipping down into the EJ abyss! So here is my reverse serve. It is wildly inconsistent, but I hope that at least the spin is OK. The next step is to do some training to make it short, low and less faulty under pressure. What adjustments should I do before cementing it?

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 08:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
And the million dollar question: how does this compare to the amazing T05?

It's a long discussion. If your technique is fantastic, especially on the forehand topspin, then Chinese rubber is probably the way to go. If your forehand topspin technique is slightly flawed, then Tenergy is much better. The more you play with your arm, the more you'll like soft/medium rubber. The more core rotation you get, the more likely Chinese rubber will be best because of the hidden benefits mentioned below.

Your technique also evolves around the type of rubber you've been using over a long period of time. For example, if you've always used very soft (30-35H) European/Japanese rubber, then you probably think you "like" it. The problem is that the rubber has capped your technique and level. Of course you won't be able to loop well with Chinese rubber as you don't have the physical mechanics or the ability to strike the ball close to the top.

Soft rubber is horrible for serving/returning and looping against chop. Hard rubber is horrible for flat smashing. Hard rubber is best for looping against backspin and serve/return. Medium rubber is good for looping against block and it's just okay for everything else. That's why great players use medium rubber on their backhand.

Medium blades are best. Hard blades are the worst. You can tell the speed of a blade by the pitch it makes when you bounce a ball on it, not what the company says about it. The higher the pitch, the faster it is. IMO, Viscaria has a good pitch. Find a blade with a similar pitch and don't worry about how little it costs, even if it's 5-10 bucks. The price of the wood is irrelevant. Henzell played the last 2 years of his career with a cheap wooden Adidas blade. He couldn't even tell you the real name of the blade.

I've never really commented on equipment, so I don't think this post turns the thread into an EJ thead. I'm not really up for debate on the above points though. If someone wants to teach everyone more about equipment, please find another thread.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 08:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
We have to prevent this thread from slipping down into the EJ abyss! So here is my reverse serve. It is wildly inconsistent, but I hope that at least the spin is OK. The next step is to do some training to make it short, low and less faulty under pressure. What adjustments should I do before cementing it?

I think this is a fantastic serve.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 10:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Soft rubber is horrible for serving.

In terms of spin generation or control (keeping it short/low) or both?

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 12:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Both. You need a hard sponge to support thin surface contacts.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 16:30 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
I have a bit of a dilemma regarding my backspin serve racket angle and keep switching back and forth between two slightly different ways I execute the serve and wonder which is a better default and a way to practice in the long run:

1. Racket almost completely open and parallel to the floor and very thin brushing contact - the downside being here is that I am forced to have a smaller and slower backswing or my error rate goes through the roof, but the ball seems very spinny and short (can't get much much speed though)

2. Racket tilted a bit (guess 10-30 degrees) so thicker contact but I can swing much more dynamically since I whiff lot less with a tilted bat, still seem to produce good spin with better speed but harder to keep the ball short

Really appreciate any opinion on this, thanks

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 16:31 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Both. You need a hard sponge to support thin surface contacts.
So that would also mean a harder sponge is better for slow spinny loops?

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2017, 21:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Barfly wrote:
I have a bit of a dilemma regarding my backspin serve racket angle and keep switching back and forth between two slightly different ways I execute the serve and wonder which is a better default and a way to practice in the long run:

1. Racket almost completely open and parallel to the floor and very thin brushing contact - the downside being here is that I am forced to have a smaller and slower backswing or my error rate goes through the roof, but the ball seems very spinny and short (can't get much much speed though)

2. Racket tilted a bit (guess 10-30 degrees) so thicker contact but I can swing much more dynamically since I whiff lot less with a tilted bat, still seem to produce good spin with better speed but harder to keep the ball short

Really appreciate any opinion on this, thanks

I'd go with option 2. With the first one it will be also difficult to keep the ball low.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 568  Next