OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:33

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 03:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Here's a full match from yesterday. This guy is a level or two above me. But I served at 1-1, 8-8, so I was definitely in the match at that point. Things kind of went to hell after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n-JIKKbl00

You return those faster serves so well.
Many of the points you played feel rather familiar to me.
We need the great teacher to return and give some tips.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 04:57 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
BRS wrote:
Here's a full match from yesterday. This guy is a level or two above me. But I served at 1-1, 8-8, so I was definitely
BRS wrote:
Here's a full match from yesterday. This guy is a level or two above me. But I served at 1-1, 8-8, so I was definitely in the match at that point. Things kind of went to hell after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n-JIKKbl00

The points seem a little monotonous. But I don't get the impression you seriously challenged his forehand. Players like him you push to the backhand and topspin to the forehand - he seemed to have good backhand blocks and good forehand openers vs backspin. You also seemed to lack penetration or angles when he backed off the table.
You need to consciously use a lot more sidespin when your opponent backs up. If a player isn't moving to return your balls, it can be a red flag.

But in any case I guess he is the better player. I just couldn't get why from his shot production but it was clearly in his anticipation and control of the points. You played a ball with just enough quality that he could move you around with it as you kept acting like he had infinite ways of returning the ball, which I find is the common symptom of a player playing another one or two levels above them.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 09:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Great point about sidespin. That's a fairly new addition to my match play so I mainly think to use it when I'm more relaxed and would win anyway. When I'm under pressure like this I end up reacting too much instead.

His game def doesn't look like the prototype two wing looper, but he's rated 2120. Two levels above me for sure.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 26 Apr 2018, 04:20 
Super User

Nice to see everyone is still playing!

My primary practice partner moved to another state so I've mostly been out of table tennis for the past year. Except for one 2000 rated player, there's nobody to play around here and the situation only seems to be getting worse. I did buy the Wally Rebounder thing that BRS recommended and have started to take some swings at the ball again. That thing is really addicting.

I have been contemplating getting the new Newgy 3050XL robot, too. Slevin gave it a really nice review on another forum. But it's a lot of money to drop on something when I don't have any aspirations to compete and it probably won't make me any better anyways.

Are they still developing the TTedge app?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 06:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

It's great to have you back for a visit, ringer. The app seems to have gone quiet during the run-up to commonwealth games, along with ttedge itself. Maybe after Halmstad things will get back to normal.

I'm glad someone else finds the returnboard irresistible. I'm a danger to myself any time I start hitting with the thing, I can't stop until I get one more loop in a row than before.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 08:12 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
I have been practicing ttedge i10-kick-blocking video. I seem to get nearly as much spin as a backhand topspin stroke when I practice this stroke on the robot if I do a good whip. It seems to be easier to go down the line with the kick block too. At my lowish level I probably do not need the extra spin and speed of the topspin stroke to win points compared to the kick block stroke. My question is that you have a choice of backspin strokes of the kick block, counter hit and topspin stroke. I assume if you are lacking time you kick block or counter hit or block if really time poor? I also assume the higher bouncing ball is better to counter hit? Or do you vary the stokes to add variety of spin to mess you proponent up? I was wondering what others do to choice the best stroke on the backhand? Some pros seem to counterhit down the line to win points?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 08:28 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

I got to USATT 1800 with my primary game being that of a blocker. If topspin blocking is your thing then go for it but it is easy to make your game fancy for no real reason when the focus should be on putting the ball where you want to put it and developing sequences that enable you to play one more shot than your opponent can.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2018, 11:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

My training partner canceled tonight because she is sick. While I appreciate her consideration, I was bummed to miss both our practices this week. (I was out of town on Tuesday) But at least I got in an hour with the board. One hour is a self-imposed safety limit, I'll do more when I get fitter.

Still following up on NL's advice to use sidespin when my opponent backs off, I spent some more time fooling with a sidespin backhand loop. That has a ways to go. And I finished with working on easy paced loops off the fh sideline. When a training partner blocks for me they always stand in a position for me to loop to their middle fh or bh, the power pocket. Then in matches when I loop, where do I always hit the ball? Right into my opponent's power. IDK if this will help, but it won't hurt anything. Here's an exciting minute of that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKRY2FY3fB4&feature=youtu.be

I have found one downside to the board - I hardly practiced any serves on my own since I got it. That's not good, so I'll have to develop some discipline to do at least one bag (~110) of deliberate, match-like serves along with every board practice.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 05 May 2018, 13:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
I have a new pet peeve related to the service return. Some people serve sidespin (regular pendulum, rightie-to-rightie) into my elbow. If I try to use the forehand, I make a step like I am playing the regular ball, make the backswing, then the ball curves into my pocket and I get jammed. I usually put those back on the table with some speed and spin, but the quality is not good. I don't know if I should use forehand against those at all. If I step to the right and play backhand, I find myself in a strange position, and then I cover like 80% of the table with my backhand which is weird.

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 00:45 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
Hello everyone!

I am in a middle of a huge crisis TT wise for over a month now, making a lot of unforced errors and losing badly to opposition I have had an upper hand up to recently and would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Here is the video from my latest training, topspin vs random backspin ball:

https://youtu.be/gpDw6kyiSw4

I simply keep whiffing and spraying balls all over the place, my matches actually being far worse then my practice sessions and I am open to any suggestions to improve my consistency; was thinking of getting a spin device mentioned in one of the ttedge videos, maybe a robot or a return board to increase practice time, perhaps softer, less demanding rubber than Tibhar Genius or slower wood in the all+ range like Stiga Allround Classic?

Thank you for your help.

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 01:01 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Barfly wrote:
Hello everyone!

I am in a middle of a huge crisis TT wise for over a month now, making a lot of unforced errors and losing badly to opposition I have had an upper hand up to recently and would appreciate any advice you can give me.

Here is the video from my latest training, topspin vs random backspin ball:

https://youtu.be/gpDw6kyiSw4

I simply keep whiffing and spraying balls all over the place, my matches actually being far worse then my practice sessions and I am open to any suggestions to improve my consistency; was thinking of getting a spin device mentioned in one of the ttedge videos, maybe a robot or a return board to increase practice time, perhaps softer, less demanding rubber than Tibhar Genius or slower wood in the all+ range like Stiga Allround Classic?

Thank you for your help.

It's hard to extrapolate from practice to matches. Technical weaknesses are in everyone's game but without seeing what they do to your matches it is just a long exercise in discussion.

What I would like to see is your block/counterhit. How you block says a lot about how you understand spin. And understanding spin is the biggest part of this game.

Also looping backspin balls over and over is dangerous. You should loop one backspin and then following mostly topspins or have back to back sessions looping the different spins. Otherwise you will groove your stroke to one spin and get into trouble.

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 01:26 

Thank you for the feedback, great points already.

I keep posting mostly looping vs backspin balls as in my mind it is the benchmark of current technique and ability.

Tomorrow I have another training session scheduled and I will record full points with various serves, recovery and rallying and hopefully that will give better picture of where I fall apart.

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 01:31 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Barfly, do you feel like your weight is back on your heels when you are preparing for the next shot?

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 04:50 

fastmover wrote:
Barfly, do you feel like your weight is back on your heels when you are preparing for the next shot?

Sometimes, especially if I am too close to the table and get jammed or lift heavy backspin then I swing completely horizontally and throw myself off balance leaning to the back.

This evening I had a friendly match and tried to be maximally aware of where I struggle and keep losing points, some general observation:

-I try to overpower and get free points too much with heavy backspin which is working against me now as people adjusted and simply put softly an open racket in front of the ball and the returning ball is low, half long at best and loaded with my own spin which is a nightmare to attack and I keep whiffing those balls or looping weak, slow which they punchblock and kill me- I need to start varying my serves much more or develop much faster/powerful backspin serves which are not so easy to control over the table and give me easier third balls

-I am horrible at adjusting my bat angles against long,fast serves in general, especially with slight backspin- I have 2 extreme angles,either completely upward/horizontal which works against heavy backspin but sends the ball 2meters of the table against light backspin or very thick forward drive which often ends in the net and nothing in between those two extremes

Very frustrating period for me, it took me almost 4 years to develop somewhat spinny serves and opening loop-had a significant edge for a while over my peers who skipped on technical training and simply decided to hit and play matches but that edge is gone now as they learned to deal with my serves and developed fast blocking/counterhitting game which made my strategy obsolete (too much risk on my side for too little benefit).

No need to despair though, I just need to train harder and develop more powerful loop or connect 2-3 in a row and I will be back over the top.

Enough ranting, tomorrow I will be back with more footage of some complete points against my trainer.

PostPosted: 06 May 2018, 05:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yeah, it is the most frustrating part of the game -- when you work so hard to develop your skills and opponent use them against yourself by almost doing nothing. In the video you looked a bit flat-footed to me. Maybe if you move your weight a bit forward and keep it on your toes more, it will be easier to adjust for the next shot. Especially when the ball comes to your middle.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 199, 200, 201, 202, 203, 204, 205 ... 568  Next