OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 04:27 

Blade: Butterfly Primorac
FH: Rakza Z
BH: DHS H8-80
wilkinru wrote:
Are you practicing to a known return location? I think that would help with your consistency. Maybe a little too much arm on the forehand as you seem rushed, but I understand that feeling.

It was a random ball drill, but good point, probably trying to change technique and adjusting to random ball after a serve is too much at this point.

In the next session I will ask my couch to feed me balls to the same place and completely focus on more forward swing path with stable elbow and bit thicker contact engaging the sponge and review the footage after every minute.

Thank you for the feedback!

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 07:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Barfly wrote:
Some footage from my last training session.

What I am trying to achieve lately is more consistency and to get that I try to focus on getting really short and sharp movements with stable elbow and swing path and looking for thicker contact

Unfortunately, old habits die hard so I often end up with a lot of swing from the shoulder and very vertical ultra thin contact but still think I am making small progress:

https://youtu.be/J0Xp2JBRi7o

Thank you for any criticism and advice.

I really like it Barfly.

Don't just move your hip up and down on your forehand. It needs to be back and forward at the same time, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiARkUO6aEE

PostPosted: 19 Feb 2018, 15:38 

Brett Clarke wrote:

I really like it Barfly.

Don't just move your hip up and down on your forehand. It needs to be back and forward at the same time, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiARkUO6aEE

Great, thank you very much.

So, nothing dramatic to worry about my form, just focus on getting the hips move more forward and that should fix my swing path and finishing position? Or is swinging a bit too vertical and over the head on backspin not that big of a mistake overall?

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 02:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
It needs to be back and forward at the same time

This is why I'll never be a top player. They seem to do the impossible :)

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 03:07 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Barfly wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Are you practicing to a known return location? I think that would help with your consistency. Maybe a little too much arm on the forehand as you seem rushed, but I understand that feeling.

It was a random ball drill, but good point, probably trying to change technique and adjusting to random ball after a serve is too much at this point.

In the next session I will ask my couch to feed me balls to the same place and completely focus on more forward swing path with stable elbow and bit thicker contact engaging the sponge and review the footage after every minute.

Thank you for the feedback!

If the swing concerns you that much because of how high it is, try to keep the elbow in a fixed or bent position for a while, it will feel unnatural but it will reign in how much you swing the whole arm.

It all looks good, going through the ball more requires experimentation and practice and often taking the ball earlier as you might not get as much arc and the risks entailed can challenge your footwork when you are not in position. Just try it every once in a while in your loop vs block and see what works.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 06:30 

NextLevel wrote:
if the swing concerns you that much because of how high it is, try to keep the elbow in a fixed or bent position for a while, it will feel unnatural but it will reign in how much you swing the whole arm.

It all looks good, going through the ball more requires experimentation and practice and often taking the ball earlier as you might not get as much arc and the risks entailed can challenge your footwork when you are not in position. Just try it every once in a while in your loop vs block and see what works.

Well, I am not trying to change the swing path just for the sake of it, I was hoping that by changing the swing more forward and over the top-side of the ball with thicker "through the sponge" contact (like you advised in many posts) I would cut my error rate significantly and thought that elbow finishing above shoulder height was a fundamental flaw that must be dealt with at all cost.

But, Brett liked what he saw in the latest video and you also stated that it all looks good, so who am I to complain, happy days :)

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2018, 07:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Barfly wrote:
Well, I am not trying to change the swing path just for the sake of it, I was hoping that by changing the swing more forward and over the top-side of the ball with thicker "through the sponge" contact (like you advised in many posts) I would cut my error rate significantly and thought that elbow finishing above shoulder height was a fundamental flaw that must be dealt with at all cost.

The more I read about what your doing the more I want to practice this same thing. Known location 3rd ball practice. Then bump it up to unknown locations.

NL is right it takes some experimenting. From my own experiments I have found that balls moving wide to my forehand or backhand feel a lot better when I get a little bit of the side of the ball. I think this is mostly because I end up forcing myself to hit a little bit more of the ball, more room for error and thus I don't entirely miss the ball as much. A nice addition is that a block will likely return back to that wing due to the spin (Forehand tends to spin back to the forehand) which helps with recovery.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2018, 14:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Enough is enough with this thread not being talked on. :swear:

I bring you video because I finally got around to editing one. I'd like to say I'm a lot better now than I was when I played this a whole 2 months ago but we know that's all BS.

On this match it was obvious to me that my opponent couldn't read my serve to his forehand very well and I kept at it all match. He had long pips on the backhand side.

From my experience in this tourney, mostly from other matches I am noticing that my backhand loop off of block or backspin isn't good enough. I'm been working on improving that.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2018, 06:09 

My humble opinion is that your backhand loop works very well, pretty sure you won 2/3 of the points when you opened with a backhand topspin, problem seems to arise when you try to reach and try to do to a safe counterhit and just bump the ball over the net, LTT92 and starting to bend the waist the moment you identify ball coming to your backhand should be the cure for that.

Similarly, you also try to play it safe sometimes with your FH by doing a half stroke just trying to bump the ball up on the table or by slowly guiding your arm over the ball instead of driving with your body and snapping the elbow which results in slow arm speed and spin with the ball sailing long.

Lastly, I have had a bit of success with receiving serve a bit further from the table- extended arm and bat distance and by bending more- this allowed me more space and time to loop fast long serves, difficult to judge your distance from the table from that angle but you seemed sometimes a bit on defensive and rushed while receiving long serves and opted for push or half stroke and maybe more distance would give you time for full swing topspin?

Anyway, I really enjoyed watching your match and you had some great points, cool editing skills btw :D

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 08:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Barfly wrote:
My humble opinion is that your backhand loop works very well, pretty sure you won 2/3 of the points when you opened with a backhand topspin, problem seems to arise when you try to reach and try to do to a safe counterhit and just bump the ball over the net, LTT92 and starting to bend the waist the moment you identify ball coming to your backhand should be the cure for that.

Similarly, you also try to play it safe sometimes with your FH by doing a half stroke just trying to bump the ball up on the table or by slowly guiding your arm over the ball instead of driving with your body and snapping the elbow which results in slow arm speed and spin with the ball sailing long.

Lastly, I have had a bit of success with receiving serve a bit further from the table- extended arm and bat distance and by bending more- this allowed me more space and time to loop fast long serves, difficult to judge your distance from the table from that angle but you seemed sometimes a bit on defensive and rushed while receiving long serves and opted for push or half stroke and maybe more distance would give you time for full swing topspin?

Anyway, I really enjoyed watching your match and you had some great points, cool editing skills btw :D

Thanks for the response.

Yeah I was really punished for the weaker shots against the juniors during that tourney. I'm really working on the backhand side right now. In general more confidence in my stoke hopefully will make a good difference. Making sure I get good contact on every ball has been a real focus.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 08:17 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
wilkinru wrote:
Enough is enough with this thread not being talked on. :swear:

I bring you video because I finally got around to editing one. I'd like to say I'm a lot better now than I was when I played this a whole 2 months ago but we know that's all BS.

On this match it was obvious to me that my opponent couldn't read my serve to his forehand very well and I kept at it all match. He had long pips on the backhand side.

From my experience in this tourney, mostly from other matches I am noticing that my backhand loop off of block or backspin isn't good enough. I'm been working on improving that.

My humble opinion is that you haven't found the optimal contact point for hitting the ball with your loops that gives you a confident fast swing. Keep looking for it. The contact point you currently hit seems too close to the back and will only work if the ball is high.

In the absence of TTEdge content, I will post for a short while a training session I had with FreeAgent in DC.

It's a long vid, and I hope nothing in it (or my posting it) offends anyone. Let me know whether you have any questions or comments.

https://youtu.be/VSgDZzvckF4

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 12:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Too close to the back of the ball?
Since that tourney I've become more comfortable with the forehand and use a little bit of the side of the ball now if it's a little wide.
Confidence comes with more practice, which I'm also doing.

It seems like my strokes evolve a little every few months.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 13:33 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
wilkinru wrote:
Since that tourney I've become more comfortable with the forehand and use a little bit of the side of the ball now if it's a little wide.

Hey, I know your opponent (and also recognize the guy in the blue shirt playing on the next table :) ) - he can be an uncomfortable foe, at least for me. Plays with sponged Feint Long III, I think.

It does look like you did have some trouble dealing with balls coming off pips (only watched first two games or so) - and if I was in your opponent shoes I'd probably receive more of your serves with pips. Need to move to FH for that, but quite doable.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 15:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

pgpg wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

Hey, I know your opponent (and also recognize the guy in the blue shirt playing on the next table :) ) - he can be an uncomfortable foe, at least for me. Plays with sponged Feint Long III, I think.

It does look like you did have some trouble dealing with balls coming off pips (only watched first two games or so) - and if I was in your opponent shoes I'd probably receive more of your serves with pips. Need to move to FH for that, but quite doable.

Does seem like a good idea for him to do...but he just did not. Yeah game 2 I tried the pips side and didn't have much luck.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 22:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

My not humble opinion is that both wings are good but you suck in transition. To start game 1 you were clearly sitting on the bh, probably because you were serving bh and not turning your feet after. So your bhs were great and your fhs were garbage. Partway through you switched to sitting on the fh and started resetting your feet and then your fhs were great (really spinny and safe), but your bh turned to garbage.

After that you mainly played fhs from all over, pivoting a lot. That was great vs this guy, but you don't have the footwork or athleticism to do that all the time. No offense meant please, honesty is best, and god knows I can't play all fhs either, we aren't XX here on the forum.

So imo, going all TJ and trying to change your strokes or contact point would be a big ole waste of time. When you are set in good position your strokes are beautiful, when you aren't they suck. So if I were you I'd be doing a ton of bh-fh transition drills, and practicing resetting to a neutral foot/body/arm/hand position after serving, and every stroke.

Yoko Ono

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199, 200 ... 568  Next