OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:50

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 06:13 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Brett Clarke wrote:
I'm also still waiting for a coaching contract in the Neverending Story of delayed contracts. It's hard to really commit to anything when you don't know where you'll be next week. I really wouldn't mind committing to a few years of Washed Up TT, but it's probably not going to happen this time.

You are obviously in a better position to evaluate what might be going on there, but it would give me some basis for concern, even if contract eventually comes through: perhaps there is quite a bit of politics involved (duh!) and there will be several landmines for you to navigate in your new job... Just a thought from an outsider.

For something completely different :lol: : there was a pretty active discussion on one of the Russian TT forums I read about coaches development strategy for their players. One very controversial scenario is for a coach to start a few young players with LP on their backhand - which is considered to be almost cheating, since other players in the similar age group have no experience in playing against this style (which really does not look like modern defense at this point, more like push-blocking). Typical outcome is that players with LP tend to win early, but then get surpassed by conventional two-wing attackers. For a while, however, LP youngster can win a lot and thus gets more trips to competitions, funding, glory for the coach etc.

Opponents of that approach would point out that it basically exploits existing system for short term gain, while jeopardizing long term results, given that attackers still prevail at very top. Counter argument is that "unorthodox styles can get you quite far (Manika Batra, Amelie Solja, some Iranian dude)", and "if you measure coaches by short term results, well, that's what you get". IIRC Canada prohibits pips in U12 competition, which might be their answer to this issue. Curious what Brett's thoughts are - PM is fine, if it is too off-topic here.

Last edited by pgpg on 23 Jan 2019, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 06:24 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
pgpg wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
I'm also still waiting for a coaching contract in the Neverending Story of delayed contracts. It's hard to really commit to anything when you don't know where you'll be next week. I really wouldn't mind committing to a few years of Washed Up TT, but it's probably not going to happen this time.

You are obviously in a better position to evaluate what might be going on there, but it would give me some basis for concern, even if contract eventually comes through: perhaps there is quite a bit of politics involved (duh!) and there will be several landmines for you to navigate in your new job... Just a thought from an outsider.

For something completely different :lol: : there was a pretty active discussion on one of the Russian TT forums I read about coaches development strategy for their players. One very controversial scenario is for a coach to start a few young players with LP on their backhand - which is considered to be almost cheating, since other players in the similar age group have no experience in playing against this style (which really does not look like modern defense at this point, more like push-blocking). Typical outcome is that players with LP tend to win early, but then get surpassed by conventional two-wing attackers. For a while, however, LP youngster can win a lot and thus gets more trips to competitions, funding, glory for the coach etc.

Opponents of that approach would point out that it basically exploits existing system for short term gain, while jeopardizing long term results, given that attackers still prevail at very top. Counter argument is that "unorthodox styles can get you quite far (Manika Batra)", and "if you measure coaches by results, well, that's what you get". IIRC Canada prohibits pips in U12 competition, which might be their answer to this issue. Curious what Brett's thoughts are - PM is fine, if it is too off-topic here.

Hahaha... don't think anything is off topic here from most core posters. Brett just posts a new TTEdge video and then we get back on topic.

Would like to hear Brett's thoughts as well.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 06:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Fine. If I am the only one who feels the difference between softer and harder outer plies then time to move on.

Finally I do recommend that people use Fastarc G1. Part of the reason. I enjoy TT again is because of this rubber.

You aren't the only one. I def prefer a limba outer ply. It's not like you could blind test me and hand me a blade and I'd feel the difference and tell you the composition. I just end up liking limba-outer blades better, if that makes sense.

And ditto on fastarc g-1. I tried a bunch of stuff to replace tenergy and hated all of it, until the g-1. It's a lucky break not having to try 05 hard and dignics and whatever else they come up with. Fastarc does not play like T05, but it feels really good.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 09:29 
Super User

BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Fine. If I am the only one who feels the difference between softer and harder outer plies then time to move on.

Finally I do recommend that people use Fastarc G1. Part of the reason. I enjoy TT again is because of this rubber.

You aren't the only one. I def prefer a limba outer ply. It's not like you could blind test me and hand me a blade and I'd feel the difference and tell you the composition. I just end up liking limba-outer blades better, if that makes sense.

And I prefer red wine to white, but blindfold me and ask me to identify which is which and I'll fail, just like all the "experts" fail. 99% of our convictions are little more than prejudices. I think it's fine to have preferences but stupid to think we're being particularly scientific in our decision making.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 09:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Well here it is, regret in trying to learn the reverse pen serve. I'm wasting my time...well, eh. Right now it's creating an interesting slow and low side spin serve which is nice...This is a tough nut to crack.

I'm using my body a little better this time and the stance is improved BUT I realized after about 60 balls in that I was making contact on the top left side of the paddle, as you can see at 55 seconds. What a horrible place to be making contact. I may as well hit it with my thumb.

After I watched the ttedge video "Swing and Contact" and realize that my shoulder just does not want to bend back like Brett effortlessly in the example and that's resulting in poor contact and the inability to hit under the ball most of the time.

I'll need to work on stretching my shoulder and doing shadow swings.

Hopefully the videos will be better after this one. Editing sucks on the phone btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFAK_aANNSA

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 09:49 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Some very good things in that serve. I like the bowing motion a lot. But you aren't getting your wrist far back enough to get deceptively heavy backspin in the version of the serve you are copying and you have said so already. You will get good sidespin with that version but backspin not really.

While it is usually the hardest spin to serve, I usually recommend starting with the backspin version of any serve, especially pure backspin. If you can serve pure backspin with your serve, the sidespin versions are easy to build on. And it is not all or nothing. Even if you never get to pure backspin and always have a hint of sidespin, your variations will still be of much higher quality.

If you can point your arm downwards and point the racket 180 degrees towards you as you do on a backhand loop then you have it. I doubt it is a flexibility issue but I could be wrong. It is not all shoulder - some of it is in the elbow as well...

wilkinru wrote:
Well here it is, regret in trying to learn the reverse pen serve. I'm wasting my time...well, eh. Right now it's creating an interesting slow and low side spin serve which is nice...This is a tough nut to crack.

I'm using my body a little better this time and the stance is improved BUT I realized after about 60 balls in that I was making contact on the top left side of the paddle, as you can see at 55 seconds. What a horrible place to be making contact. I may as well hit it with my thumb.

After I watched the ttedge video "Swing and Contact" and realize that my shoulder just does not want to bend back like Brett effortlessly in the example and that's resulting in poor contact and the inability to hit under the ball most of the time.

Hopefully the videos will be better after this one. Editing sucks on the phone btw.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Last edited by NextLevel on 23 Jan 2019, 10:21, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 09:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

birchamboi wrote:
And I prefer red wine to white, but blindfold me and ask me to identify which is which and I'll fail, just like all the "experts" fail. 99% of our convictions are little more than prejudices. I think it's fine to have preferences but stupid to think we're being particularly scientific in our decision making.

I think the word "naive" is more appropriate than "stupid". Judgement has been validated almost as much as it has been skeptically challenged. The errors tend to make the headlines but the successes tend not to.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 10:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

pgpg wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I don't need a job. I work if/when I want to work, which is the ultimate trump card in every situation.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 10:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

pgpg wrote:
So, what would you call the FH shot Gionis and Filus frequently do on their FH away from the table? These guys do not really chop on FH, and it does not look like counterloop either - they simply guide ball back. Jian Li does it quite a bit too.

I tried it a few times when stuck away from the table, and at least at my level it frequently is a safer shot (compared to all-out counter loop attempt), since the other guy now has a chance to screw up, especially if placed well. NL saw it in person, I believe, and actually encouraged it, IIRC.

It's called a "roll".

If someone has a ridiculous heavy chop on the backhand, a roll can feel like it's jumping over your head. The difference between the heavy chop and the roll is the key factor here. The heavy chop causes short term brain change / adaptation making the roll very powerful. Rolling by itself wouldn't work too well.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 10:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

NextLevel replied with some solid advice. I especially like the idea of trying to get backspin early on.

I like the serve you are doing. I think it will continue to improve if you keep going. I'd like to see some better footage from different angles.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 10:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel replied with some solid advice. I especially like the idea of trying to get backspin early on.

I like the serve you are doing. I think it will continue to improve if you keep going. I'd like to see some better footage from different angles.

Yeah I have a new stand and a chair I can move around now.

I'm TRYING to do back spin. Ugh.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 11:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

pgpg wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Opponents of that approach would point out that it basically exploits existing system for short term gain, while jeopardizing long term results, given that attackers still prevail at very top. Counter argument is that "unorthodox styles can get you quite far (Manika Batra, Amelie Solja, some Iranian dude)", and "if you measure coaches by short term results, well, that's what you get". IIRC Canada prohibits pips in U12 competition, which might be their answer to this issue. Curious what Brett's thoughts are - PM is fine, if it is too off-topic here.

I wouldn't go down the path of putting funny rubber on junior rackets. That said, if a kid really wanted to use anti, LP or SP, I'd be fine with it. It's good for the nation if a few people chop or play with different rubbers.

There are nations who have traditionally played relatively poorly against choppers. Eastern Europeans countries come to mind. I'm clearly generalizing here but there's some truth in what I'm saying. The reason why Eastern Europeans have traditionally played poorly against choppers is, there isn't a strong tradition of chopping in many of those countries. The players don't get enough exposure to choppers, especially at a young age.

In real communistic times in China, province teams would make sure they had at least one LP chopper in the training environment. This ensured that everyone was good against chop.

Funny rubber is clearly much more common in women's table tennis. It make sense because women like to play a fast, close to the table style. If you are using LP, it can really mess someone up. SP is very good for playing fast and flat.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 11:06 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Yeah I have a new stand and a chair I can move around now.

I'm TRYING to do back spin. Ugh.

The grip advice Dubina gave here helped me more than it hurt me which is the only reason I share it even though I don't use it. You have to be able to hit under the ball not behind the ball. But you may not have the wrist speed and the stability of angle to brush underneath. Even with your current grip you can get backspin by orienting yourself differently and brushing beneath the ball by trying to get your racket flat.

https://youtu.be/vwsuaRg79T4

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 11:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

I'm not sure, so I'll be no help on this one.

I just know when a blade is too hard because I loop everything into the net. If the blade is too soft, the ball just doesn't move forward enough.

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2019, 11:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

The grip advice Dubina gave here helped me more than it hurt me which is the only reason I share it even though I don't use it. You have to be able to hit under the ball not behind the ball. But you may not have the wrist speed and the stability of angle to brush underneath. Even with your current grip you can get backspin by orienting yourself differently and brushing beneath the ball by trying to get your racket flat.

https://youtu.be/vwsuaRg79T4

One challenge is the handle. It just goes into my forearm. I try to get the handle to go above my forearm, like he shows in the video. For some reason this is difficult for me. Maybe I'm supposed to smash into my forearm and create golf ball sized bumps to do the serve properly. :rofl:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 288, 289, 290, 291, 292, 293, 294 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!