OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:37

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 02:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I am trying to imagine and it is beyond my limits...

I know what you mean.

It would be very valid to ask why the racket doesn't stop on impact and what's the advantage of the racket starting to go up after contact. Does anyone care to explain?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 02:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Indian men's team finished 5th at the Asian Championships and the team also won Division 1.

Attachment:
India mens team.jpeg
India mens team.jpeg [ 147.05 KiB | Viewed 1464 times ]

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 08:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Indian men's team finished 5th at the Asian Championships and the team also won Division 1.

Attachment:
India mens team.jpeg

You really whipped them into shape in a few months there.

However for some reason I feel like Ben should be holding the medal with his coach, Brett Clarke.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 11:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:
India mens team.jpeg

Congratulations! Also on Sathiyan's quarterfinals in singles!

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2019, 11:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

I know what you mean.

It would be very valid to ask why the racket doesn't stop on impact and what's the advantage of the racket starting to go up after contact. Does anyone care to explain?

Isn't there a video example? When I look at Ojo's serve, I don't see much vertical movement.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 02:28 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
LTT120 is now available on ttEDGE.com

This is a conversation I have with many players, including the elite. Keeping the racket high or above the height of the table is a new thing in table tennis and it has some merit. LTT120 is my take on the topic.

Seems to me that you've heard this topic a lot lately and wanted to express some opinions on it. Interesting. I feel like the bat above the table works along side the elbow out to the side instruction in (much older) previous videos.

I doubt I'll ever get my knee close to my ankle height in a match, but I will strive for that.

Also, DTTS07. The Introductory Footwork Drill. What do you think of that video now? Just watching it, after the recent leg videos I was thinking it was not optimal but after reading the title of the video, I'm OK with it. I'm wondering if it needs a little disclaimer that says "this is an intro and this is not the final result or perfect form". For some reason I'm just so scared that someone will drill this and down the path of sub optimal play.

It's a fair question.

I just watched video DTTS07 myself and I'm okay with it. I'm not super excited about it, but it's a level above most coaching I've seen worldwide. If I went to an international training camp and the head coach presented that to the best juniors in the world, I'd be positive about the coach.

LTT117 is a level above, in my opinion. 117 is the culmination of everything I've learned and it took me a long time to get to that level. It's what I teach world-ranked seniors and juniors. I don't want to get too specific about which players etc but I will say that some of them are very good.

BTW, I'm not big on intro vs pro teaching. Imo, there is just right. For example, LTT117 is just more accurate than DTTS07. I wrote the words for both videos, so I'm responsible. 117 is just me getting more accurate as I need to be better at my job. As I get better, I give you the outcomes.

What is wrong with DTTS07?

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 02:31 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
LTT120 is now available on ttEDGE.com

This is a conversation I have with many players, including the elite. Keeping the racket high or above the height of the table is a new thing in table tennis and it has some merit. LTT120 is my take on the topic.

Seems to me that you've heard this topic a lot lately and wanted to express some opinions on it. Interesting. I feel like the bat above the table works along side the elbow out to the side instruction in (much older) previous videos.

Yes, I've heard this topic a lot. It's the type of thing that makes someone 150 in the world instead of 50. It causes the player to play with an upright back and form ceases to follow function.

Elbow position (aka arm structure) does go hand-in-hand with LTT120. It's a very clever observation. As the body tilts and moves, the arm structure should go with it. The shoulder is the moving joint that gives extra whip and power to shots.

I like to tell my students that they shouldn't drop the arm/racket, they should lower the body...

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 02:33 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

I know what you mean.

Isn't it a pendulum backhand serve? Deception in that swing is.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 03:16 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the drill at all, but the technical explanation is an 8/10. Telling a player to turn their body as they begin moving has limitations. Although the concept is completely correct, I never really gave explicit instructions on how to do it. LTT117 is the missing link.

Telling someone to rotate their hips is even more correct instruction, however, it leaves a lot to the imagination. I've heard a million people say it (including myself) although I've never really seen anyone demonstrate exactly how it is done.

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2019, 03:34 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

There is nothing wrong with the drill at all, but the technical explanation is an 8/10. Telling a player to turn their body as they begin moving has limitations. Although the concept is completely correct, I never really gave explicit instructions on how to do it. LTT117 is the missing link.

Telling someone to rotate their hips is even more correct instruction, however, it leaves a lot to the imagination. I've heard a million people say it (including myself) although I've never really seen anyone demonstrate exactly how it is done.

Yeah words always have limitations. I say set your feet or use your hips on the backswing not just your arm and people talk about all the limitations of that.

I like the forehand in DTTS07 a lot btw. You should shadow that more often...

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2019, 14:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

https://youtu.be/1ImOd6ah1HY?t=170

I'm watching this point and thinking to myself "man this is going to be good instruction on how to loop chops" and then I see Kanak just about falling over in nearly 5 shots in a row. The first 2 I feel like he got jammed but even the 3rd loop he falls back and he was not jammed one bit. Watch it at 25% speed and notice his complete lack of balance on contact.

Is there something to this falling back against super heavy spin? Is he trying to make sure he brushes the back of the ball (or even under it)?

PostPosted: 02 Oct 2019, 16:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

I'm watching this point and thinking to myself "man this is going to be good instruction on how to loop chops" and then I see Kanak just about falling over in nearly 5 shots in a row. The first 2 I feel like he got jammed but even the 3rd loop he falls back and he was not jammed one bit. Watch it at 25% speed and notice his complete lack of balance on contact.

Is there something to this falling back against super heavy spin? Is he trying to make sure he brushes the back of the ball (or even under it)?

It's not as bad as it looks in this exact context. Imagine that you want to hit the ball with topspin and your target is the roof 20 feet in front of you. What would you do?

The torso needs to be tilted back to get maximum lift. If you lean back enough, your left leg will have to stop you from falling over. A torso that is twisting on a backward angle needs support and that's the left leg going behind you. He's not stepping back per se...his left leg is stopping him from falling over because of the extreme angle of the spinning torso.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2019, 00:06 

Blade: OSP Virtuoso
FH: Rakza 7
BH: Rakza 7
Brett Clarke wrote:

Elbow position (aka arm structure) does go hand-in-hand with LTT120. It's a very clever observation. As the body tilts and moves, the arm structure should go with it. The shoulder is the moving joint that gives extra whip and power to shots.

Hello, new member here :)

I'm curious when you talk about 'shoulder is the moving joint'. Because on TTedge you often talk about the body movement / weight transfer but not so much about the acceleration. With the forehand how are we suppose to do the acceleration ? With the backhand i (try to) do it with pressing my fingers at contact but it's not really natural to me with the forehand.

So should i use the fingers to 'activate' the acceleration ? And then the main accelerating part come from the shoulder or the elbow ? Thanks a lot :)

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2019, 00:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

It's not as bad as it looks in this exact context. Imagine that you want to hit the ball with topspin and your target is the roof 20 feet in front of you. What would you do?

The torso needs to be tilted back to get maximum lift. If you lean back enough, your left leg will have to stop you from falling over. A torso that is twisting on a backward angle needs support and that's the left leg going behind you. He's not stepping back per se...his left leg is stopping him from falling over because of the extreme angle of the spinning torso.

This is very interesting stuff. I'll have to do some experiments (looping into the second story of my house...). At first I thought I saw a clear technical issue but one has to keep in mind Kanak pretty much makes a living looping backspin. He might know something I don't. This will change my perspective on looping backspin.

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2019, 00:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Wis wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Hello, new member here :)

I'm curious when you talk about 'shoulder is the moving joint'. Because on TTedge you often talk about the body movement / weight transfer but not so much about the acceleration. With the forehand how are we suppose to do the acceleration ? With the backhand i (try to) do it with pressing my fingers at contact but it's not really natural to me with the forehand.

So should i use the fingers to 'activate' the acceleration ? And then the main accelerating part come from the shoulder or the elbow ? Thanks a lot :)

Hi and welcome! I don't recall any talk of weight transfer on ttedge. I don't believe there is any acceleration either. There is just the whip action that is created from the body movement which will be faster or slower depending on a ton of factors, mostly being your physical ability. Also no talk about fingers. It's just a whip action like the bear shows. It's best with ttedge to forget what you have learned and I'm sure there is a Star Wars quote in there. :topspin:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 411, 412 ... 568  Next