OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 15:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 07:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
People clearly play for different reasons. I personally played worse when I was goal oriented and I was at my best when I was enjoying hitting the ball.

When players become obsessed with results and ratings, it eventually leads to stress and unhappiness. The inevitable long downswings take a serious toll on those who only play for the win. Trying to win is an important factor in sport, but it can't be everything or you'll always be one step away from quitting.

BRS, you like hitting the ball or else you wouldn't have made me train with your for 7 hours per day until your racket handles feel off.

I saw some of this first and as did Big D, Makele and freeagent. BRS is a training machine. He would sweat so much that the handles of the Grubba Blade would come off even before he eventually smashed it because he Lost to someone he didn't feel he should have. And when everyone else was tired he would keep going... The Energizer Bunny has nothing on BRS.

Yes, BRS is one of the hardest trainers I've ever seen...anywhere! I used to train with a guy who made it to the top 20 in the world and he trained extremely hard. BRS is just like that. People talk about training 6 hours a day, however, very few can actually train for 3. BRS can do more that 7.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 07:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
All I am saying is that don't get too attached to anything in TT until you are playing at the level you dream of playing at.

I am already playing table tennis I was always dreaming of. I can loop from both sides at the first (almost) opportunity in real matches and win with it. I can open up with backhand, I can pivot. In other words, I can play attacking table tennis. It is very satisfying. If I will eventually master the aggressive pivot I will almost be happy. I just want to get a bit better, little by little, mostly to see what my body and mind are ultimately capable of.

It's hard to lose or feel bad when you are already satisfied with your current position. I'm happy for you.

I no longer play competitive Table Tennis. I may be the only person on this thread that doesn't compete. When I'm not injured (almost never), I'll occasionally challenge someone to a long match, just for 'fun'. I'm not playing for points, money, my country, club, reputation etc etc. I'm just playing to beat the opponent and use my skills. Some of the most enjoyable matches I've ever played occurred in retirement.

I do feel bad when I lose to people that win most of the points by casually getting a racket in the ball's way. Which is very common at my level. That is another reason I want to improve :D

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 07:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
A very rewarding reason to play and actually compete is when after a match people come and say "you are so fun to watch".

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 08:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I am so jealous of BRS' commitment to this game.
BRS has earned all of his rating points. He is not only working smarter but he is also working harder.
Much respect here.

PostPosted: 17 Nov 2017, 08:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
A very rewarding reason to play and actually compete is when after a match people come and say "you are so fun to watch".

Every single week a guy I train with drops his jaw the moment he seems me hit a forehand loop.
And every week he asks me to explain how to do it. Groundhog day err week?
Yeah the ego has many ways to get what it wants.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 09:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I've been thinking about this for a bit...

There is lots of advice on the internet these days on how to play table tennis and some of it is interesting or worth some discussion. Many times it ends up being taught differently than TTedge or just worse instruction - OK always worse. However sometimes it's a topic that has yet to be discussed or has a little wrinkle that I'm curious about.

Brett, what's your stance on discussing this 'outside' content with us? I would limit it to the technique and try to keep things in a 'positive light' - that is not trash the content but take the tidbits that might be good.

Also I think we need a new TTedge segment - PLTH. Play Like Tomokazu Harimoto. I see your TTedge lessons all over his game.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 15:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
I've been thinking about this for a bit...

There is lots of advice on the internet these days on how to play table tennis and some of it is interesting or worth some discussion. Many times it ends up being taught differently than TTedge or just worse instruction - OK always worse. However sometimes it's a topic that has yet to be discussed or has a little wrinkle that I'm curious about.

Brett, what's your stance on discussing this 'outside' content with us? I would limit it to the technique and try to keep things in a 'positive light' - that is not trash the content but take the tidbits that might be good.

Also I think we need a new TTedge segment - PLTH. Play Like Tomokazu Harimoto. I see your TTedge lessons all over his game.

The problem with going over other content is it puts me in an awkward situation. If I hate the content, it looks like I'm protecting ttEDGE or I'm jealous of the knowledge. I haven't watched a lot of other other content (and I try not to), but I've seen enough to know that I'm not going to like the majority. I have seen a few that I really liked too.

I can completely understand why the above is of interest to you. If another coach tells everyone to do XYZ, you may believe that it's potentially a good idea, but you aren't in a position to assess the pitfalls.

PLTH is a good idea. I don't personally have footage of Harimoto, so I can't do it. I never use other people's footage unless there is an agreement in place. I have however downloaded footage of him on my personal phone which I often show to live students. Harimoto is 14 yrs old and he's competitive with the best players in the world. It means he must have some exceptional technique. I think that he possibly has the best LTT79 in the world, for example.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 16:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Totally understand all of that. Even in person at the club I hear and see lots of advice, like I should keep my elbow next to my chest or I should flat hit much more. The advice given at a typical USA TT club is very scary. I'll think about ways of bringing up subjects without putting you on the spot to talk about other people's content.

The kid has an amazing LTT72(not 79..oops) too. His push is so good that right now, at 11:23 pm I want to start the robot and do some heavy short pushes.

Really all of his game seems technically amazing. It really shows what great technique can do in the world of TT.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 17:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Totally understand all of that. Even in person at the club I hear and see lots of advice, like I should keep my elbow next to my chest or I should flat hit much more. The advice given at a typical USA TT club is very scary. I'll think about ways of bringing up subjects without putting you on the spot to talk about other people's content.

The kid has an amazing LTT72(not 79..oops) too. His push is so good that right now, at 11:23 pm I want to start the robot and do some heavy short pushes.

Really all of his game seems technically amazing. It really shows what great technique can do in the world of TT.

Those technical conversations happen in almost every club where there are lots of players. It's actually very difficult not to say something when you completely disagree with what players are doing or saying. I try not to give too much unsolicited advice as it can really annoy people who are pretty sure that they are right.

You should definitely do the 11:30 short push session on the robot. I've done a few of those myself.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 07:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT90 and LTT91 are now available on ttEDGE.com

LTT90 is how to move out to play a backhand topspin after playing a short ball. There was some discussion in this forum a while back and this is my response.

LTT91 is about using your body on the backhand banana flick.

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 09:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Attachment:
steve.gif
steve.gif [ 211.75 KiB | Viewed 2194 times ]

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 13:43 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
I am going to see whether I can find a safe way to use this bow to power a relatively shorter forehand topspin.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 02:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Obviously I do love to practice, I'm using all my holidays this year to train. But what I meant was my training is totally driven by match results. Losing gnaws at me for days afterwards. And in most matches there are one or two things that if I did them properly/better I would have won. That's what gives purpose to my training. I don't actually enjoy competition, or at least it certainly isn't fun the way training is a joy. I look at competition as an unpleasant task that I have to do to make sense of my training, and training as the good part. This is probably not typical. There are rare times in competition where I am in "flow" or whatever stupid name you put on it, and that's great, the .001% of the time that it happens. I also could make competition much more fun for myself simply by adopting a more positive attitude. I need to do a lot more work there.

I know a lot of other players decide to learn a new skill because it is cool, or just for the satisfaction of mastering something difficult. I'm not like that. If I don't see an application in matches now I'm not interested. NL, that was why I said a year or two ago that I'd worry about counterlooping when it mattered.

Back on topic ---

Did anyone else find Brett's audio way too low on LTT 90? I tried it on two devices and the TT audio was normal volume, but your voiceover was barely audible. That's never happened before, and LTT 91 isn't like that.

The start/finish position cuts are really helpful and simple, maybe better than slo-mo because it emphasizes what is most important in the motion and not so much details in between.

I was curious on LTT 91 -- Jesse was flicking and then stepping out, whereas in 90 he was bunny-hopping out after pushing short. Wouldn't you need to be back and ready even faster when you flick than after a short push? I'm assuming at his level that flick is getting counterlooped much of the time, so I would think he would want to be even further back for the fourth ball if possible.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 02:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yeah the audio level was low on one of the videos. I'm sure Brett can move the slider and reupload.

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2017, 02:51 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
The flick is going to come long so you can adapt to the distance however you choose - many opponents may block. The short push is going to come short or long and for thatbthe bunny hop has to be trained in response to a long push. It is easier to be jammed by backspin than my topspin

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 ... 568  Next