OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 18 Apr 2024, 11:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 28 Jun 2017, 19:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Somehow when I try to lunge a bit more it feels good but contact with the ball and timing gets distorted. The stroke feels and looks good but results in a flat hit. Gotta post a video soon.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 01:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

DTT6 is very effective. I mostly use it with learning adults who lack the confidence to attack, even after their technique is solid. Making a bunch of loops against push can change one's mindset. I don't use this exercise with juniors as I want them to attack all long serves and pushes, so I start with a short push or serve.

LTT71 is good knowledge to own. The topic is a little difficult to discuss, but hopefully you guys can do something with it.

I don't know about the "after their technique is solid" part, but here is my first attempt at DTT6. My partner can serve long or short, as long as it's backspin. I edited out the missed serves and receives, which were way too many. If my quick count was right I made 31 opens and missed 12. That sounds okay, but I only won 23 points, out of 43 barely over 50%. Between missing and getting blocked down, there were some runs of losing 5 points in a row. That's basically a set gone, and it would be hard for me to keep opening after that in a real match with any pressure. Shows the need for the drill I guess.

This is a few minutes of all fh opens vs a long backspin anywhere feed. I've been doing this drill for a while without it noticeably changing my real-world behavior. It does seem to keep my fh form a bit more on track though, so it isn't completely useless.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 01:14 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Consider playing less against fast plain vanilla pushes and ask her to challenge you with pushes that come off the side of the table that you get to late. Or challenge yourself by letting the ball drop a little and taking it late.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 01:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

I don't know about the "after their technique is solid" part, but here is my first attempt at DTT6. My partner can serve long or short, as long as it's backspin. I edited out the missed serves and receives, which were way too many. If my quick count was right I made 31 opens and missed 12. That sounds okay, but I only won 23 points, out of 43 barely over 50%. Between missing and getting blocked down, there were some runs of losing 5 points in a row. That's basically a set gone, and it would be hard for me to keep opening after that in a real match with any pressure. Shows the need for the drill I guess.

The backhand it looks slow and tentative, like you were at 10-10 in game 1. I know I've seen you do higher bat speed. I'm watching this while I type and I just realized that it's the backhand that is creating errors or easy to block. The forehand looks pretty good.

It's practice and I think you should really look to spin the crap out of that ball. I've been working with some guys on Saturdays and I have a little game where I see if I can spin it so much that it just spins off their block and I get to catch it.

Save the tentative play for matches :swear:

https://youtu.be/52C33Cq2JyQ?t=123 Watch it at quarter speed and you'll see some issues.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 01:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
BRS wrote:

The backhand it looks slow and tentative, like you were at 10-10 in game 1. I know I've seen you do higher bat speed. I'm watching this while I type and I just realized that it's the backhand that is creating errors or easy to block. The forehand looks pretty good.

It's practice and I think you should really look to spin the crap out of that ball. I've been working with some guys on Saturdays and I have a little game where I see if I can spin it so much that it just spins off their block and I get to catch it.

Save the tentative play for matches :swear:

https://youtu.be/52C33Cq2JyQ?t=123 Watch it at quarter speed and you'll see some issues.

Thanks for watching. I watch frame-by-frame and believe me I see issues. I didn't post it thinking it was good.

On the bh I am actively trying to take a longer, more relaxed stroke, which for now means slower. A frequent poster here said my old bh stroke was too short, which was true. I'll try to speed it up once I get the contact right. What bothered me more was the swing plane, dropping down and then almost straight up, it's wrong.

And I disagree, to me the fh is worse, it really sucks. I'm constantly pulling myself off balance, up back sideways, everywhere but the direction I want the ball to go. A frequent poster told me maintaining body position was unimportant and all in my head. That was wrong. I use another drill to work on that, but it's too horrible.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 01:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Consider playing less against fast plain vanilla pushes and ask her to challenge you with pushes that come off the side of the table that you get to late. Or challenge yourself by letting the ball drop a little and taking it late.

Which drill do you mean, or both? This partner has a predisposition to try to make the drill work, instead of trying to win on the push. Part of that is we get 6-8 minutes for each drill, that's it. Then we rotate, since there are three of us on the table.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 02:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

Thanks for watching. I watch frame-by-frame and believe me I see issues. I didn't post it thinking it was good.

On the bh I am actively trying to take a longer, more relaxed stroke, which for now means slower. A frequent poster here said my old bh stroke was too short, which was true. I'll try to speed it up once I get the contact right. What bothered me more was the swing plane, dropping down and then almost straight up, it's wrong.

And I disagree, to me the fh is worse, it really sucks. I'm constantly pulling myself off balance, up back sideways, everywhere but the direction I want the ball to go. A frequent poster told me maintaining body position was unimportant and all in my head. That was wrong. I use another drill to work on that, but it's too horrible.

Well there you go - work on balance and the backhand loop. The forehand looks better to me because you do a full stroke - I guess it's harder to see balance issues on video. Look at 4:05 - you had some impressive whip on that ball! So even off balance and all of that you still execute a nice whip like forehand. Miles from the old old videos. Give yourself some credit!

Last edited by wilkinru on 29 Jun 2017, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 02:16 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Which drill do you mean, or both? This partner has a predisposition to try to make the drill work, instead of trying to win on the push. Part of that is we get 6-8 minutes for each drill, that's it. Then we rotate, since there are three of us on the table.

The drill description and the approach of your partner explain why it hasn't changed anything in your real matches. She needs to throw in a topspin ball occasionally to surprise you, maybe push with no spin sometimes or sidespin and sometimes make the ball half long or very wide. That's what I am trying to say. One thing that used to really help my game was practicing against my old coach's receive. He had this annoying mix of flicks, dead blocks and pushes and backhand loops that would keep me off balance as well as the conventional stuff. After practicing against that for an hour, dealing with people who would just push the ball into the middle of the table was a joke.

The backhand form looked good, nice consistency, you just need to time the whip from the wrist a little better so that you get more spin from the motion. But since I was likely that member who requested the change, I guess I should stop the self congratulation...

As a general note and to Russ, backspin is not topspin, if you take short strokes vs backspin, you can lose your confidence quickly against the right level of opponent.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 02:19 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Actually thr backhand can use some improvement, the finishing position is too abbreviated too often which might be what Russ is seeing. You need to swing past t he ball but you keep stopping at it.

It might sound crazy but I tend to hit my backhand very close to where my swing starts.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 02:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

As a general note and to Russ, backspin is not topspin, if you take short strokes vs backspin, you can lose your confidence quickly against the right level of opponent.

I'm confused. So you should take a short swing? Or you shouldn't? Anyway all of my analysis was on the first video. The second video didn't feel match-like. The first video did.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 02:29 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

wilkinru wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

I'm confused. So you should take a short swing? Or you shouldn't? Anyway all of my analysis was on the first video. The second video didn't feel match-like. The first video did.

Your analysis was spot on.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 02:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Fair point on the drill. I've been asking for more half-long balls to improve against the specific opponent and situation I mentioned earlier. Since I fail at such a high rate in more complex drills, this simple one is as much a confidence-booster as anything else. But given very limited practice reps I should do more with it as you suggest.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 02:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Well there you go - work on balance and the backhand loop.

Good input, thanks.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2017, 09:39 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

DTT6 is very effective. I mostly use it with learning adults who lack the confidence to attack, even after their technique is solid. Making a bunch of loops against push can change one's mindset. I don't use this exercise with juniors as I want them to attack all long serves and pushes, so I start with a short push or serve.

LTT71 is good knowledge to own. The topic is a little difficult to discuss, but hopefully you guys can do something with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52C33Cq2JyQ

This is a few minutes of all fh opens vs a long backspin anywhere feed. I've been doing this drill for a while without it noticeably changing my real-world behavior. It does seem to keep my fh form a bit more on track though, so it isn't completely useless.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3kB7Vkb3tQ

I think it all looks pretty good. LTT6 isn't about playing rallies btw. It should be more like multiball as the focus needs to be on push and then attack.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 03:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I've been doing the push -> push -> loop multiball drill in some form or another for about a month now with anyone who will play ball.

Last night I don't think I missed a forehand loop from backspin/dead in about 2 hours of play. It feels like a weapon that's reliable.

The backhand used to be the go to but now I see the light. :clap:

I did over-stretch/exhaust my tricep tho. Any ideas on how to minimize this coach? I'm pretty sure it was caused by an inside/out loop that I got a little jammed on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144 ... 568  Next