OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:26

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 11:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
If you want to watch me swinging forward watch this point (from the same match BTW).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVd0Fb09Mg&t=477

Why did I swing forward? Because the ball was high enough to do so. Why did I swing all upward during the point you were chewing over and over? Because the ball was low and it was too dangerous to generate forward momentum. Form follows function. There is no single forehand fitting all situations. So what are you trying to fix? My forehand against a low heavy ball? Against a not so heavy net-height ball? Or my counterloop?

Brett Clarke wrote:
You shouldn't swing over the top of every ball, nor should you swing up on every ball. Your body needs to shape your arm for the exact situation you are facing.

I understand what FruitLoop was doing with his advice. He thinks that fastmover needs to rotate better, which will result in swinging forward and over the ball more. He's possibly right and he's prescribing an overcompensation learning technique. It's quite legit if it's understood and accepted by the player.

I'm just saying that you should shape your body and arm together to deal with every individual ball. This will always include a combination of fold/unfold and hip rotation.

Please read this 1000 times.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 12:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
But fastmover is clearly a very logical guy

Of course I am very logical. The reason for this is that once I took some well-meant advice and it ruined my game which then took a lot of time to fix. So if I am implementing anything in my training, I have to be sure it is 100% right and I have to understand it completely. So far the most sensible thing I've read here was to try staying low right after the first shot, and I am working on it whenever I have a chance to train. Also wilkinru was right about having my right foot not quite in FH-oriented position after the serve recovery.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 12:43 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
If you want to watch me swinging forward watch this point (from the same match BTW).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVd0Fb09Mg&t=477

Why did I swing forward? Because the ball was high enough to do so. Why did I swing all upward during the point you were chewing over and over? Because the ball was low and it was too dangerous to generate forward momentum. Form follows function. There is no single forehand fitting all situations. So what are you trying to fix? My forehand against a low heavy ball? Against a not so heavy net-height ball? Or my counterloop?

You do realize that is a shallow swing, right? And you do realize that the point everyone is making is that your current technique will require you to swing shallow if you want to stay in balance and try to generate heavy spin since you don't give yourself room to loop hard and stay balanced right?

You seem oblivious to the fact that no one is complaining about the shot selection and everyone is focused on the technique being used to produce it.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 13:02 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
But fastmover is clearly a very logical guy

Of course I am very logical. The reason for this is that once I took some well-meant advice and it ruined my game which then took a lot of time to fix. So if I am implementing anything in my training, I have to be sure it is 100% right and I have to understand it completely. So far the most sensible thing I've read here was to try staying low right after the first shot, and I am working on it whenever I have a chance to train. Also wilkinru was right about having my right foot not quite in FH-oriented position after the serve recovery.

Errors in TT learning are inevitable and your approach is not going to insulate you from them. It is far more practical to test and discard or test and refine. Or to find trustworthy experts and follow them until you can find critical points to disagree with. Conservatism doesn't mean you won't be stuck with bad technique for years.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 18:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
ziv wrote:
I think fastmover understands pictures well. Someone has to draw another picture for him.

Done!

Note the right foot placement and the new finishing position. That's what everyone has been getting at for the past week. Over 500 combined man hours have been spent on this topic and it could have all been explained in another fastmover drawing. Sorry it took so long to get this finished.

Attachment:
fastmover forehand.png

Here is the animated version

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 21:38 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
I am going to do an MSpaint later that I think might work. Hopefully. Meanwhile not sure about the aversion to trying something. It isn't going to mess up your game if it ends up not having value and if it does it may have huge value. Something almost identical on my backhand worked wonders. I was thinking about it all wrong and was doing the backhand equivalent of your forehand vs backspin.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 21:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Here's an article about me http://ttfi.org/news/show/944

I'll also be working with the senior team, so you can find me coaching some stars at the upcoming Korean and Australian Opens.

Congrats but how can you take on this job without remotely fixing fastmover's forehand topspin vs backspin?

Joking obviously. Congrats! :D

It's 1am in at my new home in Patiala and I'm trying to fix this thread!!! I've read several pages about fastmover's forehand and I've been exposed to multiple animals eating popcorn. I should be spending some time on finding all of Ma Long's weaknesses.

The only way to fix this thread is to post more gifs of animals eating popcorn:

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 22:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 22:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 22:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 22:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 22:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 22:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I am not interested in discussing this topic anymore so let's just stop.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 22:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
I want to see FruitLoop counter topspinning heavy pushes in a tournament match facing at least equal opposition. Preferably covering the whole table with the forehand. I am especially interested in cases when the ball is dropping and nearly approaching the table level, like in my point.

When the ball drops below the table, you need to fold/unfold like there is no tomorrow. When the ball is higher, you need to turn the hip around with some micro fold/unfold.

Do rabbits actually eat popcorn? I need to know.

Some pet buns do eat popcorn, but it's not a good choice of snack, too starchy.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/bunnies-and-popcorn.37874/

If you are wondering what snack treats are best for your bunny, https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2019, 23:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

What about raccoons? Have you ever seen a pet raccoon? I know a girl who is totally obsessed with raccoons!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 383, 384, 385, 386, 387, 388, 389 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!