OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 13:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 04:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
So I want to talk about the backhand....I've got an issue with deep balls to the backhand.

Good example is a very deep backspin ball. It's long and it's got lots of spin that I've seen be made by my opponent. I want to attack this ball but almost always make an error. I feel like the blade angle was wrong. My guess is I can get a weakish high spinny loop on the other side 3/10 times. I feel like I'm just lifting that ball, not attacking it.

It seems to me that the spin rules sort of change and with the nature of the backhand and you cannot "buy time" like one can on the forehand.

Should I be moving back? Is my stroke wrong? Do I need to alter my stroke? Alter my timing? How do I practice this correctly?

Push that $h!+ back to your opponent. If the ball is truly heavy and very deep on your bh that is never going to be a good ball to attack. If it is so predictable that you can pivot and make a quality fh loop that's great. If you are pinned on the bh just push it and let him try to open. Chances are very high you get a weaker push for the 5th ball anyway.

Interesting perspective. With a ball wide to my backhand that's deep and heavy(or even not so heavy) I do this by default as I don't have the ability to loop those.

I guess I've heard if the ball is coming out of the table I need to loop it so much that I've not even considered pushing such a deep ball is acceptable.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 04:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

That wasn't my argument - my argument was that even with the best of intentions, it is hard to serve a legal quality serve by the letter. There is also the history of people who played under different serve rules and they developed habits that are hard to change. Ethical arguments are often ad hominem. There is only one person I know who complained about illegal serves and offered his serve up for scrutiny. His serve was legal but made no attempt to deceive the opponent or generate reasonable spin. So I could see why he felt that he was being cheated.

I have played with refs watching too. My issues are largely on video so I tend to ask people who complain strenuously to post their match play. I stand tall so sometimes my toss functions more like a ball drop or a backward toss. In any case, when it interfere with the quality of my enjoyment, I will deal with it.

Many people who serve quickly just don't think about what it takes to get ready to play a point and that differs from person to person. Most of these things are habits formed at a different point in one's play. In any case, I don't like my illegal serves but I don't lose any sleep over them either. I just wish more people criticizing me (as you are) would post their serves so we can see whether the pot is calling the kettle black or they have a genuine issue. Because the simplicity of a serve doesn't make it legal. And serving legally in practice doesn't mean that one does so in matches. And even when you serve legally for a time, you can always pick up a bad habit that no one alerts you to until it is too late. In my experience, with a few exceptions, people who go on and in about illegal serves tend to be bad servers or bad serve returners. Because the good players I know focus on enforcement and agree that the rules are a mess but that if they were consistently enforced, we might get somewhere. But the rules proposed would basically make the pendulum serve almost illegal. So they are not going to pass any time soon.

I don't mind your serve and I'd have no problem playing against it. You give enough time for the receiver to get ready and the ball does indeed go into the air. I think it would be a pretty minimal adjustment to open your palm just a little more.

I've posted video on here of me playing and serving. It hasn't changed. I know I am a bad serve returner and I know that I need to see the ball go up and down in order to get into my sub-optimal rhythm but again thanks for the passive aggressive insult. Twice this week. If you want to throw up some more insults you can PM me. I'll try to get back to the thread's main subject such as my issues with deep balls to my backhand.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 05:13 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
wilkinru wrote:
I don't mind your serve and I'd have no problem playing against it. You give enough time for the receiver to get ready and the ball does indeed go into the air. I think it would be a pretty minimal adjustment to open your palm just a little more.

I've posted video on here of me playing and serving. It hasn't changed. I know I am a bad serve returner and I know that I need to see the ball go up and down in order to get into my sub-optimal rhythm but again thanks for the passive aggressive insult. Twice this week. If you want to throw up some more insults you can PM me. I'll try to get back to the thread's main subject such as my issues with deep balls to my backhand.

One of the problems with saying things online is that they often come across the wrong way. As much as I have my trolling and passive insult days, just about everything I say on this board is something that I was or I am relative to my current rating.

I wrote a very long post explaining how you could have taken my comments on pivoting personally and explained that I used my backhand on high balls, the best player in my club does etc. I ultimately didn't post ir. And I think Brett can vouch for me when I say that both myself and the kid have exceptionally good backhands relative to our level. And we still beat ourselves up when we take high balls with our backhands.

And taking high balls habitually with your backhand can lead to misses that make you feel bad about your backhand. Big D (aka TT Panda) has this problem fairly often. He is a very different player when he pivots on easy balls and kills then with his forehand and when is trying to kill (rightly) easy balls with his backhand (wrong). He just gets down on himself when he misses. That eats his confidence and his game.

As my video shows, on the right day, I have a powerful backhand against a certain kind of ball. When I was 1700 I used to think every ball was that ball. Now I know better and I try to warn people not to fall into that trap. Coming over the top of a high ball with your backhand is not easy and taking the ball early enough to use your backhand consistently requires a courage and play that gets harder as the opponents get more powerful or the spin gets heavier.

All of this stuff applies to me. Whenever I fail to pivot on a high ball, I blame laziness and failure to anticipate. It is easy to think that I am talking about you. And I probably am. But not in any way that isn't true for me.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 05:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
BRS wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
So I want to talk about the backhand....I've got an issue with deep balls to the backhand.

Good example is a very deep backspin ball. It's long and it's got lots of spin that I've seen be made by my opponent. I want to attack this ball but almost always make an error. I feel like the blade angle was wrong. My guess is I can get a weakish high spinny loop on the other side 3/10 times. I feel like I'm just lifting that ball, not attacking it.

It seems to me that the spin rules sort of change and with the nature of the backhand and you cannot "buy time" like one can on the forehand.

Should I be moving back? Is my stroke wrong? Do I need to alter my stroke? Alter my timing? How do I practice this correctly?

Push that $h!+ back to your opponent. If the ball is truly heavy and very deep on your bh that is never going to be a good ball to attack. If it is so predictable that you can pivot and make a quality fh loop that's great. If you are pinned on the bh just push it and let him try to open. Chances are very high you get a weaker push for the 5th ball anyway.

Interesting perspective. With a ball wide to my backhand that's deep and heavy(or even not so heavy) I do this by default as I don't have the ability to loop those.

I guess I've heard if the ball is coming out of the table I need to loop it so much that I've not even considered pushing such a deep ball is acceptable.

Acceptability is really determined by your opponent. The incoming ball is deep so you will not be able to push it short. If your opponent is going to routinely crush that long push ball past you then you might as well try to loop it yourself. But you could equally look at it as an opportunity to improve the spin and placement of your long bh pushes. And look to loop the next ball, assuming you are more ready and it is less awkwardly placed.

Basically winning points is always acceptable. When you reach a point where you need to make different shot selections to win points, that's when the definition of acceptable shifts.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 05:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

Acceptability is really determined by your opponent. The incoming ball is deep so you will not be able to push it short. If your opponent is going to routinely crush that long push ball past you then you might as well try to loop it yourself. But you could equally look at it as an opportunity to improve the spin and placement of your long bh pushes. And look to loop the next ball, assuming you are more ready and it is less awkwardly placed.

Basically winning points is always acceptable. When you reach a point where you need to make different shot selections to win points, that's when the definition of acceptable shifts.

This is good advice and I bet if I were to record all of my matches I would see that I probably do push this type of ball when I'm tired or when the match is close. Almost no one I've ever played punishes my long pushes. I'd say that all of the skills that I learned early the one that still feels really useful is my deep push/dig.

With that said I'd still like to know that after I serve X and the ball comes out of the table I'm going to give a really nice 3rd ball attack. That's really my goal for the next 5 months.

I can make the ball machine jam me just as well. Maybe I'll just do a quick video to show how crap I am at this.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 06:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
wilkinru wrote:

What kind of error do you produce? I had a similar problem, though. I used to lift the ball with little topspin and people could hit through it. The problem was that timing of BH was so delicate that I was afraid to relax and reeeeaaally whip the stroke out. I thought I had no chance to hit the ball properly with the full on swing. Then I decided to try anyway, and currently I can even make it in matches. A good practice is to try to loop the backspin balls produced by robots. Usually those have a pile of spin. If you can loop those, you eventually should be able to do it in regular practice/play.

So the morale: try to hit full on, even if it feels that you have no chance to land it on the table.

PostPosted: 09 Jun 2017, 22:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Big D (aka TT Panda) ... just gets down on himself when he misses. That eats his confidence and his game.

A good strong paddle throw would redirect the anger towards an inanimate object and release all that tension. Try it, it works!

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2017, 06:02 

BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
Big D (aka TT Panda) ... just gets down on himself when he misses. That eats his confidence and his game.

A good strong paddle throw would redirect the anger towards an inanimate object and release all that tension. Try it, it works!

I've tried it many many times and it works.

PostPosted: 10 Jun 2017, 06:41 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Do it after the match when you lose. That's when it works best. And you might injure other players too making you a true winner.

https://youtu.be/xT1dBXNondo?t=4588

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 08:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

We have released DTT4 and LTT69 on ttEDGE.com

LTT69 is about one of the most common mistakes learning adults make. If you are reading this post, there's an very good chance you need to go through the process described in the video.

DTT4 is about another drill I use regularly when coaching. Every exercise mentioned in the DTT series will be something I use almost daily.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 08:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
BRS wrote:

This is good advice and I bet if I were to record all of my matches I would see that I probably do push this type of ball when I'm tired or when the match is close. Almost no one I've ever played punishes my long pushes. I'd say that all of the skills that I learned early the one that still feels really useful is my deep push/dig.

With that said I'd still like to know that after I serve X and the ball comes out of the table I'm going to give a really nice 3rd ball attack. That's really my goal for the next 5 months.

I can make the ball machine jam me just as well. Maybe I'll just do a quick video to show how crap I am at this.

If you can replicate the error against the robot, then show us some video.

I just added to the LTT list - looping with backhand against backspin. Although I hate talking about racket angles, I find myself using a 'cheat' when teaching players of your level to lift backspin on the backhand. The video will be LTT 70 something, so you'll have to wait a few weeks. Next week will be Banana Flick LTT70

IMO, players don't pivot enough against passive opponents. The reason they don't pivot is they don't understand the footwork. They think it's because they are too slow/old/big/injured etc, but it's almost always about footwork. When done correctly, the pivot is more like a dance move that doesn't hurt.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 09:04 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

big d wrote:
BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

I've tried it many many times and it works.

Racket Throws = Not Enough LTT57 & LTT65

I'm going to make a LTT65 type video for returning serve as well, which would be included on the right side of the equation.

I coach a guy who plays about USATT 1900 who says that LTT57 has helped him more than any other video. The content of LTT65 helps me the most when I play matches for fun.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 09:33 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Hard to tell which video helped me the most but LTT26, LTT57 and LTT65, which I learned from your posts here before you made LTT65, helped me a lot with my self-talk during matches. I am not sure if I am a better player because of them but TT is more fun. Much more fun.

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 09:34 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
As a suggestion for future videos: how to create heavy backspin on pushes (preferably FH). Trying to add another shot to my repertoire. 8)

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2017, 09:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:

IMO, players don't pivot enough against passive opponents. The reason they don't pivot is they don't understand the footwork.

Many players don't think that footwork is an issue to worry about. The whole concept of moving to replicate their best shot is missing. Somebody once tried to convince me that it is better to not move at all because it will make shots more stable and easier to play.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 568  Next