OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 17:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 05:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
NextLevel wrote:

Danny Seemiller does similar stuff with the racket pointing sideways. He is a great guy to watch serving. I was not smart enough to ask for tips on that serve the one time I met him at my club.

https://youtu.be/EuXKHxRcRbQ

I was lucky to attend one of Danny's clinics. His backhand serve action is insanely fast, like a flash of light. I have never seen anything like that in person.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 05:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
As far as if I had gotten lucky at the end and won, I'm not going to lie. I would have felt great. Intellectually I would still know that I play at my level and he plays at his, and a few lucky balls or one good match doesn't matter. But it feels great to win against better players so I would have enjoyed it for about an hour, until I lost to a bad player later that day.

Ok I'm the world's biggest hypocrite. I just beat a guy (who crushed me 1-2 years ago) 11-9 in the 5th. I lost the first 2 games and felt like old times...

I feel great. How do I beat him 11-3, 11-4, 11-6? Return serve much better and loop the backhands more reliably and against this guy pound the forehand side.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 06:33 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Everyone wants to beat a player that have never beaten but who they have taken games off at least once. 3-2 scores against better players can be very painful especially when you lose a lead in some way.

One of the things about being a good tactical player is that if you beat someone, you almost never lose to them again unless they fix the problem. Usually the scores get worse and the gap gets wider. Of course, some of this changes when you turn into a living husk of your former self but some players are still unable to take advantage.

It can be funny to have not lost to a player who plays at a level fairly close to yours in 5 years. But it does happen when you have the game plan to beat them and they don't change. And if they don't change, and you used a gameplan to beat them, you will always beat them.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 07:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Everyone wants to beat a player that have never beaten but who they have taken games off at least once. 3-2 scores against better players can be very painful especially when you lose a lead in some way.

One of the things about being a good tactical player is that if you beat someone, you almost never lose to them again unless they fix the problem. Usually the scores get worse and the gap gets wider. Of course, some of this changes when you turn into a living husk of your former self but some players are still unable to take advantage.

It can be funny to have not lost to a player who plays at a level fairly close to yours in 5 years. But it does happen when you have the game plan to beat them and they don't change. And if they don't change, and you used a gameplan to beat them, you will always beat them.

This sounds like tactics to me. Brett will not be amused.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 07:39 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
For 2 years a guy would always beat me. Yesterday I beat him 3-1 and the lasts game was 11-3. The slider serve won me a lot of points. He knew it was flat too. Thanks Brett.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 07:42 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
BRS wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

This sounds like tactics to me. Brett will not be amused.

I can't bend my knees, pivot and train anymore. That's my excuse. And when you have beaten someone for 5 years, looping every ball gives way to pushing him around until you can kill the ball. Just because you know what will happen if you lose and you don't want to hear the taunting and winquitting that will ensue. I am stuck with my technique so I have to get 2% better at the things I can work on.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 07:52 

Thank you both for the good info.

I also used to think that I should be serving short by getting the first bounce closer to the net. I used to lob my serves a lot. When practicing the reverse I used to put the handle underneath my wrist and would lob that too. It was obviously extremely inconsistent.

I wonder if the different plastic balls and different tables also have an impact on how spinny the serves seem on the table. When I first joined the forum I sent a vid of my backspin serves to Brett. I was using some one star doublefish balls and they would come back to me once they'd dropped to the floor. Using the 3 star dhs ball I don't see as much of an effect, they might slowly come back to my side but usually not all the way. Hopefully it's not that my backspin serves got worse :D

What I think I was trying to get at earlier is that I can't expect my short serves to have more spin than the half long or long ones. So when I practice serving short I should be content with there being slightly less spin than on half long serves.
Against better opponents I'll get slaughtered with those accidental long serves so I do need to practice tightening them up a bit and I guess sacrificing some spin so I can make sure they are short. The good thing is that when I do play better players I'm generally more relaxed and from what I remember usually have served shorter.

Usually I just have at the back of my head to do backspin/nospin topside or backside and brush the ball as much as possible and think of the area I want to serve in. I don't think I think about exact precision.

I played the same guy this evening. This time I was more aware of the serve placement, I served shorter (I think) and served a few long to his backhand, which worked well but he adapted to it later. I was up 7-1 in the first set and won it 11-4. Then I relaxed a bit too much, got frustrated with myself again and eventually lost 3-2. I have it recorded but I don't think there's much more to be said. Throughout the match I felt like I had the upper hand but I lose my focus badly. I got quite nervous after the first set. I will keep recording the majority of my matches now so I get used to having the camera on me.

I can definitely tell when I do the stepping in on the FH, that you mentioned Brett.. I guess it's a bad habit that'll be difficult to get rid of. I can also now notice the lack of LTT93 on several of the FH's against backspin.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 07:59 

NextLevel wrote:

Since today is serve day, a video from one of the most popular servers in England.

I met Craig a few years ago and asked if I could receive his serves. I don't think I returned a single one of them.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 08:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Richfs wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Since today is serve day, a video from one of the most popular servers in England.

I met Craig a few years ago and asked if I could receive his serves. I don't think I returned a single one of them.

I was literally just working on the down the line and the backspin wide serve. Well and the reverse pendulum which went less bad but i simplified it so I could get some weak backspin.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 09:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Speaking of 3-2 matches, I went to a practice last night and a roundrobin broke out. The guy I was practicing with was late, and while I was waiting another friend came in to meet some random Korean guy, on a business trip for Samsung, who he said came to league on Sunday and wanted to hit again before leaving town. So I said we all have to play.

First I did a little actual training with my partner for warmup. I never post technique videos in this technique thread, but here is three minutes of me actually trying to do the bending and straightening thing on some bh hits/blocks.
https://youtu.be/nLjv-o_vRP0

And if you want to flush away another 15 minutes of life that you will never get back, here's my first match vs the Korean guy. He won 3-2. We played again and I won 3-2. Then we played three more sets and he was ahead 2-1. I'd say we are pretty even. That makes me a level 2 (out of six) amateur player in Korea. Jack was level one playing one-sided jpen, but after a knee surgery had to switch to cpen, and dropped one level.

https://youtu.be/Qoh68-MofQg

He gave me a very odd compliment (I guess it was a compliment). He said I have a very quality game, very unusual. And my other two friends were like Why? Why him and not us? You mean because of the short pips? And Jack said No, short pips is normal. But his (my) fh is like a loop stroke, but ball is not like a loop. I'm not sure I should be pleased with that assessment. But he liked it, that was clear.

And I think (hope?) this video shows my current bh in a better light than the one vs JT. Obviously three minutes of training has changed nothing, but it can be effective when I'm not so outclassed. I do miss tons, and Jack quickly picked up on targeting my bh with long serves. Which was awesome, that's exactly what I want. I stopped using the tomahawk serve after the first set so I'd get more balls to my bh.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 12:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
And if you want to flush away another 15 minutes of life that you will never get back

You know me. Flush. I even watch it for more than 15 min because I have to re-watch a bunch. Flush.

Yeah your backhand worked better but I don't think you can convince me that it was better. My prime example is at https://youtu.be/Qoh68-MofQg?t=482 . He serves it deep and low and you hit the top of the net. I saw a lot of these. Your backhand is strong when it's higher and pretty good against backspin but seems to break down against these lower balls.

What a nice shot at https://youtu.be/Qoh68-MofQg?t=381 . Dude. Pure instinct.

https://youtu.be/Qoh68-MofQg?t=403 You can do this all day against so many people. I know the backhand has to improve but these shots are there and it wasn't even a good quality shot. Your forehand is so good even meh quality is enough to win points.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 12:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Speaking of 3-2 matches, I went to a practice last night and a roundrobin broke out. The guy I was practicing with was late, and while I was waiting another friend came in to meet some random Korean guy, on a business trip for Samsung, who he said came to league on Sunday and wanted to hit again before leaving town. So I said we all have to play.

First I did a little actual training with my partner for warmup. I never post technique videos in this technique thread, but here is three minutes of me actually trying to do the bending and straightening thing on some bh hits/blocks.
https://youtu.be/nLjv-o_vRP0

And if you want to flush away another 15 minutes of life that you will never get back, here's my first match vs the Korean guy. He won 3-2. We played again and I won 3-2. Then we played three more sets and he was ahead 2-1. I'd say we are pretty even. That makes me a level 2 (out of six) amateur player in Korea. Jack was level one playing one-sided jpen, but after a knee surgery had to switch to cpen, and dropped one level.

https://youtu.be/Qoh68-MofQg

He gave me a very odd compliment (I guess it was a compliment). He said I have a very quality game, very unusual. And my other two friends were like Why? Why him and not us? You mean because of the short pips? And Jack said No, short pips is normal. But his (my) fh is like a loop stroke, but ball is not like a loop. I'm not sure I should be pleased with that assessment. But he liked it, that was clear.

And I think (hope?) this video shows my current bh in a better light than the one vs JT. Obviously three minutes of training has changed nothing, but it can be effective when I'm not so outclassed. I do miss tons, and Jack quickly picked up on targeting my bh with long serves. Which was awesome, that's exactly what I want. I stopped using the tomahawk serve after the first set so I'd get more balls to my bh.

Your backhand was actually slightly better after the 3 minutes of training. You hit some good ones in the match. This is all going to take some time, but I saw enough today to know that you can head in the right direction.

I'll make you a deal. You work with me on your backhand and, if you improve the technique a lot, I'll show you the tactics to beat all of the guys you are having close matches with.

I made a video about falling into the backhand and now I can't find it. In the video, i demonstrate the common mistake of being out of sync with the ball and coming down on the backhand. Can someone please tell me which video it is?

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 12:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Yeah your backhand worked better but I don't think you can convince me that it was better. My prime example is at https://youtu.be/Qoh68-MofQg?t=482 . He serves it deep and low and you hit the top of the net.

Yep, this is what needs improvement. It's clearly not something that will happen overnight and it will take work.

The video I was looking for is ETT45. Ben, please watch it.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 12:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

I'll make you a deal. You work with me on your backhand and, if you improve the technique a lot, I'll show you the tactics to beat all of the guys you are having close matches with.

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2019, 12:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

On the topic of controlling the serve and cutting down the spin. Say I generate 100% of my current spin level with 100% effort, which results in 50% chance of my serving popping up. What I noticed is that if dial down the power to 20%, I retain 80% of the spin and have 10% chance of the ball popping up. Sometimes it feels bizarre: the spin comes out of nowhere and I feel like I did not do anything at all. Which makes me wonder how I should practice these serves to keep pushing boundaries. By applying 100% of the force (e.g. by rotating my waist very fast), or just doing those 20% and concentrating on timing and technique?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 291, 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!