OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 09:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 14:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
It seems that my total focus on winning by attacking first made me a very imbalanced player. It is not that I have to block often in matches, it just lack of practice against fast balls hurts my anticipation skills.

Then practice a first defense. You could do that with a partner by saying you have to serve long to a side, so he will attack every ball. You are practicing a long fast serve, making a well-placed and solid block when he atracks the serve, and working into a positiin where you can switch to the attack, probably by counterlooping.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2019, 15:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
fastmover wrote:
It seems that my total focus on winning by attacking first made me a very imbalanced player. It is not that I have to block often in matches, it just lack of practice against fast balls hurts my anticipation skills.

Everyone's game develops at an uneven pace. We are all imbalanced players in some way or the other, especially at the lower levels. Even 2300 players have gaps in their game. Even Dima has gaps in his game at his level. You are doing the right things because you are focusing on the things that happen early in the point, just like Dima did. IF your serve, serve return, third ball and fourth ball are effective, then the rally is an after thought. When players force you to rally, then you get exposed, but that part of your game will grow as well. But the earlier parts influence that as well.

I agree with this. I think that fastmover is imbalanced in the right way, if there is such a thing.

Fastmover, look at the guys around you. If you were going to coach them, what would you work on? I bet your answer is serve and forehand topspin.

Add some rally stuff. Lean to 2 step backhand after making a forehand topspin, for example. But don't panic... you are on a good path.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 02:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
Fastmover, look at the guys around you. If you were going to coach them, what would you work on? I bet your answer is serve and forehand topspin.

I'd teach them the two-step process first. So many people can't even hit a basic backhand properly.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2019, 09:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT111 is now available on ttEDGE.com

If you are NextLevel or a defensive chopper, then this video is for you.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2019, 13:01 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:
LTT111 is now available on ttEDGE.com

If you are NextLevel or a defensive chopper, then this video is for you.

Sensei has mastered procrastination!

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2019, 04:51 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Xu Xin VS Jan Zibrat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsXy2OhBGbM

What's so deceptive about Jan's reverse pendulum serves? Xu Xin hardly returned single one in the first set!
Too bad Jan was standing his back to the camera so it isn't easy to see what he's doing with the serve.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019, 10:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
Xu Xin VS Jan Zibrat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsXy2OhBGbM

What's so deceptive about Jan's reverse pendulum serves? Xu Xin hardly returned single one in the first set!
Too bad Jan was standing his back to the camera so it isn't easy to see what he's doing with the serve.

Xu Xin was seeing topspin and the actually serve was backspin. Jan's serve was borderline illegal because he tosses the ball back in a lot. It all helps him to keep his racket fairly vertical whilst still getting backspin.

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2019, 14:04 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
I played a guy yesterday that had a pretty vertical racket angle on serve. I found it difficult to read the serve spin well and lost a lot of points. Is a vertical racket angle something we should focus on when serving some types of serves?

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019, 05:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Lately I've been pretty lights out against long/loose/half long serves to my forehand...but my backhand return eludes me.

If someone serves deep to my backhand eventually they will realize long is bad and start making the serve shorter. I'm in no way even close to as good on the backhand side and as a match progresses I slowly find myself doing sub-optimal tactics like pushing.

I guess this means my backhand just isn't very good. Or i'm weaker at reading serve depth on my backhand. Suggestions on drills to work on this? My thought is to have someone serve varying lengths to my backhand and making me adjust.

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019, 05:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Playing lots of matches vs players at your level and higher is probably the best (only?) way to really drill bh receive. Having someone serve at your bh is okay, but you know it's coming there, and you will adapt to their serves pretty fast. You really need a variety of serves and an element of surprise that you only get playing matches.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019, 06:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Lately I've been pretty lights out against long/loose/half long serves to my forehand...but my backhand return eludes me.

Pivot!

PostPosted: 27 Apr 2019, 12:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

Pivot!

This one guy kept serving to my backhand and I did a few times, won the point outright. However I stopped doing it because it's worth working on backhands.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 00:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I had a chance to practice my counterspin (in half-multiball mode) with a guy who can actually spin the ball decently. What I notice is that against a real spin it is not enough to just fold the body, as per LTT95. To keep the ball down, it is necessary to squat down really low with the legs at the same time. Then I rewatched LTT95 and noticed an interesting thing: at 01:53 Brett turns his hips not just forward, but forward and downward to bring the body low. His right (ok, left) knee almost touches the ground.

So I guess that the key for bringing the spin down is actually rotating hips down, and not just torso fold. Does it make sense?

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 01:24 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
I had a chance to practice my counterspin (in half-multiball mode) with a guy who can actually spin the ball decently. What I notice is that against a real spin it is not enough to just fold the body, as per LTT95. To keep the ball down, it is necessary to squat down really low with the legs at the same time. Then I rewatched LTT95 and noticed an interesting thing: at 01:53 Brett turns his hips not just forward, but forward and downward to bring the body low. His right (ok, left) knee almost touches the ground.

So I guess that the key for bringing the spin down is actually rotating hips down, and not just torso fold. Does it make sense?

As someone who had to invent his own strokes to some degree, I will tell you that as long as it doesn't hurt recovery, cause injury and it helps create and control a quality ball, do it. I just try to feel my elbow and shoulder going over the ball and coming down.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2019, 10:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

maurice101 wrote:
I played a guy yesterday that had a pretty vertical racket angle on serve. I found it difficult to read the serve spin well and lost a lot of points. Is a vertical racket angle something we should focus on when serving some types of serves?

If you can keep your racket more vertical, and still get variation, the serve will be harder to read.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 359, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 365 ... 568  Next