OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:40

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 09:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Feel free to offer suggestions for the LTT series.

I desperately want the aggressive pivot video you talked about in LTT29.

Okay. And thanks to everyone who has made suggestions.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 09:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
An attempt to practice pivot against topspin balls. I feel like there is something fishy going on. Somehow when I lunge to the side I start to swing shallow. Is it because I don't get away from the ball enough? I also feel like my shots are too flat. The move is so fast that it is impossible to control the contact.

fastmover, I want you to watch LTT67 and think of your current pivot shot as a fade. Go to 2:00 and consider the lesson. Then go to 3:30. That's the mistake I feel you are making and I offer some sort of solution. If I was coaching you live, this is the process I'd go through.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 09:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:
An attempt to practice pivot against topspin balls. I feel like there is something fishy going on. Somehow when I lunge to the side I start to swing shallow. Is it because I don't get away from the ball enough? I also feel like my shots are too flat. The move is so fast that it is impossible to control the contact.

fastmover, I want you to watch LTT67 and think of your current pivot shot as a fade. Go to 2:00 and consider the lesson. Then go to 3:30. That's the mistake I feel you are making and I offer some sort of solution. If I was coaching you live, this is the process I'd go through.

Yes, I was thinking about it. On this pivot I am fading the ball even if don't consciously try to. There is one thing I feel I should do but don't know for sure: should I try to jump even wider away from the table? Or just to lunge more to the left and it will be enough?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2017, 11:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Yes, I was thinking about it. On this pivot I am fading the ball even if don't consciously try to. There is one thing I feel I should do but don't know for sure: should I try to jump even wider away from the table? Or just to lunge more to the left and it will be enough?

You should be stepping away with your left foot as you are swinging at the ball. You are there too early

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2017, 02:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Brett, thanks for your content in LTT50. Backhand issues are plaguing me. I blame the recent forehand content; my forehand has been winning so many points lately that I feel like it's my hammer and all balls are nails - so the backhand isn't even being used.

I was going to send you a video with 'low lights' of my training but I realize now you've already done a full video on how to correct the backhand.

Timing is the really difficult part with this backhand for me. I'm fine with really slow balls (backspin) but the ones with speed or which are coming 'medium fast' really throw me off. As a result I find myself stretching my arm out too often, as you show in the video. It's also a good reminder to keep my elbow out.

Russ, as you focus on one side (e.g. forehand), the other side tends to deteriorate. You need to train both sides regularly, and combine shots, or you'll find that your game goes out of balance.

LTT50 is an okay video. I feel we need even more content on the topic of timing the backhand topspin.

I've set my robot up to do a backspin ball, a dead ball and then a top spin ball. I put it on random location (which still is a pretty narrow area but more life like) and just rotate through these for both sides. I find my brain to be much more engaged and I find the forehand to be considerably easier - like the ball is slower. Inspired by one of the recent DTT videos.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 10:56 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I know we aren't an equipment junkie thread but...

On my backhand for the last 2 or 3 years I've either used Barracuda or some form of Tenergy. Lately I've been doing some experiments with harder tacky Chinese rubber, specifically H3 Neo. It's a pretty dead rubber when used passive but when the whip technique is used its pretty amazing! I'm noticing looping backspin is nearly impossible for me to miss. Pushes tend to be much heavier with a little wrist too. Dead balls can be looped with a certain amount of confidence I was lacking previously. Now there is a downside to it...being passive is pretty weak and you may even struggle to get some balls over the net.

So my question is: does a good whip technique somewhat favor a harder sponge?

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 13:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
I know we aren't an equipment junkie thread but...

On my backhand for the last 2 or 3 years I've either used Barracuda or some form of Tenergy. Lately I've been doing some experiments with harder tacky Chinese rubber, specifically H3 Neo. It's a pretty dead rubber when used passive but when the whip technique is used its pretty amazing! I'm noticing looping backspin is nearly impossible for me to miss. Pushes tend to be much heavier with a little wrist too. Dead balls can be looped with a certain amount of confidence I was lacking previously. Now there is a downside to it...being passive is pretty weak and you may even struggle to get some balls over the net.

So my question is: does a good whip technique somewhat favor a harder sponge?

Within a legitimate range, every hardness has an advantage. Hard Chinese rubber is very good for looping against backspin, if you have the right technique and contact. Very soft rubber is better for smashing and fast blocking. Medium hardness is better for looping against block and that's part of reason why people like Tenergy.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 07:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT76 and DTT11 are now available on ttEDGE.com

Both videos are about semi-cross footwork. Most top players use this footwork on a regular basis.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 07:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Thanks to the regular updates of LTT & DTT series, I feel excited each Sunday evening now.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 08:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Thanks to the regular updates of LTT & DTT series, I feel excited each Sunday evening now.

Every Sunday I learn more...and learn just how bad I am :)

After watching some footage I realize I pretty much do this side step already. Probably inherited from some other sport I played long ago. Basketball maybe? On further review I need to swing my shoulders more.

Last edited by wilkinru on 31 Jul 2017, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 08:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Every Sunday I learn more...and learn just how bad I am :)

After watching some footage I realize I pretty much do this side step already. Probably inherited from some other sport I played long ago. Basketball maybe?

Basketball defense has similarities to TT movement. I still teach side stepping to players as well as semi cross.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 08:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT76 brought to my mind an old question. Imagine the following game plan: serve short from the backhand corner, then follow-up against a push using the forehand no matter where the push lands. What kind of service strategy works best for this plan?

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 09:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Watch this point https://youtu.be/8mHi3YvhCD4?t=60

The ball isn't even pushed wide to Waldner's forehand, but he still chooses the semi cross. You can watch the entire video and you'll notice he uses it very often.

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 09:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

When I play 1900+ players I tend to always feel a little slow.

At practice yesterday I saw a Chinese coach feed multiball random balls extremely fast to her student. Faster than I've ever practiced myself. I noticed the student's feet constantly hopping. Is this the secret to having a faster tempo?

PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 09:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
When I play 1900+ players I tend to always feel a little slow.

At practice yesterday I saw a Chinese coach feed multiball random balls extremely fast to her student. Faster than I've ever practiced myself. I noticed the student's feet constantly hopping. Is this the secret to having a faster tempo?

If I recall correctly what was discussed a few pages ago, hopping helps but is not essential.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!