OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 04:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
The ultimate goal is to place them wide (like outside of the corner wide) to backhand. At this moment they mostly go to the middle and have no control over it. Down the line is a bit easier. The challenge with this shot is that even against a slow push things happen so fast that it is impossible to control what I am doing. When I make those shots they feel like crap and feels like they should look horrible, but when I watch the video it is not that bad (surprising).

Well, just be mindful of the techniques. I play this tactic a fair amount and I tend to win the point with spin. I tend to lose the point if it gets put too deep to my backhand side or if someone returns well down the line.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 05:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Here is Xu Xin for the reference.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 06:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Yeah just notice how he finishes high and with tons of spin. He really commits to those shots and the second one he wins with overwhelming spin, even for another top Chinese player.

I wish I could try on those long arms for a couple of shots.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 07:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
The ultimate goal is to place them wide (like outside of the corner wide) to backhand

This is my goal too, and with more spin than power. It's easier to go down the line with a harder, flatter shot, but if the guy blocks it back I'm dead. Nobody at my level blocks shots that go off the middle of the sideline.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 07:46 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
fastmover wrote:
The ultimate goal is to place them wide (like outside of the corner wide) to backhand

This is my goal too, and with more spin than power. It's easier to go down the line with a harder, flatter shot, but if the guy blocks it back I'm dead. Nobody at my level blocks shots that go off the middle of the sideline.

Yes. But it doesn't have to be even the middle of the sideline. If the pivot lands just outside the corner and gets blocked back, it will somehow (at least) gravitate back cross-court, making it way easier to scoop with the cross-over step afterwards. I guess it makes sense to fade pivots a lot for this reason.

In our club we have a college student, a leftie penholder who went through some pro training in China when he was a kid. He can do this wide cross-court pivot well and it is very effective. Especially against righties who hate the balls hooking away from their forehand :)

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 00:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
I wish I could try on those long arms for a couple of shots.

On the pivot, long arms come with a cost: the longer one's arms are, the further they have to jump to the side to get out of the ball's way. I wish I could try on those strong legs...

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2017, 07:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT92 and DTT26 are now available on ttEDGE.com

LTT92 is about one of the most common errors in TT. I think I made this error over a million times and no one ever helped.

DTT26 is a modern day and advanced exercise.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 06:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

So LTT92 is a little confusing to me.

The start of it I thought talked about leaning to the side and hitting a weak backhand.
The end talks about a 2 step process where you first lean down and then come up a little on each backhand.
The side part didn't seem to be addressed.

So I get it - the backhand is a 2 step process like the forehand and this is indeed new information for me except now that I think about it when I see the pros warm up I see it clearly. Just never put it together in my own game.

I would have liked you, Brett, to have corrected your own mistake in the video and talk about some good ways to start adding the down up in our own backhands. I'm guessing the 1-1 drill is a good start and I did some yesterday even.

LTT92 doesn't seem like a big issue at first but now it looks like a really big fundamental issue that nearly all players at my level have. Does it deserve more attention? As a coach (and most likely the best TT coach for adults on earth) you will find new ways to teach and better ways to do things and should some older LTTs be re-done or appended to add this technique?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 07:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

A random thought: I wonder if LTT86's mantra "left hip-right hip-finish over the eyes" can be applied to serving. Something like "left hip-right hip-shake into the ball".

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 07:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

The start of it I thought talked about leaning to the side and hitting a weak backhand.
The end talks about a 2 step process where you first lean down and then come up a little on each backhand.

So I get it - the backhand is a 2 step process like the forehand and this is indeed new information for me except now that I think about it when I see the pros warm up I see it clearly. Just never put it together in my own game.

I would have liked you, Brett, to have corrected your own mistake in the video and talk about some good ways to start adding the down up in our own backhands. I'm guessing the 1-1 drill is a good start and I did some yesterday even.

LTT92 doesn't seem like a big issue at first but now it looks like a really big fundamental issue that nearly all players at my level have. Does it deserve more attention? As a coach (and most likely the best TT coach for adults on earth) you will find new ways to teach and better ways to do things and should some older LTTs be re-done or appended to add this technique?

I thought Brett said the reaching backhand was caused by coming up to an upright stance during the forehand. Maybe I need to watch the video again. But that would be a three step process

1. Don't stand up while hitting the fh
2. Bow down for the bh
3. Rise up a smidge on the bh stroke

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 07:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Maybe it was just the video angle that confused me. It felt like he needed to make a small step to his backhand at the start.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 08:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

After you play a forehand topspin, make sure you then do LTT80 and 81 on your backhand. Even for elite players, this is a very advanced concept. It shouldn't be confusing, even though it's very hard to implement. In LTT92, I'm assuming that players know how to move sideways.

Some of the latest LTT content isn't exactly for beginners and I share it with advanced players. LTT81, for example, appears simple at first however it may be one of the most advanced TT video ever made. You need to get the most out of your body with the slow plastic ball.

Coaching is also about learning. Because I coach too much these days, I'm constantly thinking about better ways to teach and I get bored if I don't learn new stuff. I get the benefits of doing the 'multiball' of teaching players of all levels.

In a year's time, I'll probably have a faster way to teach the forehand topspin. I'm already experimenting with different language than that in LTT86 - "Hide the logo on your shirt and then show it to me."

Almost every player in the world has LTT92 issues.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 08:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
A random thought: I wonder if LTT86's mantra "left hip-right hip-finish over the eyes" can be applied to serving. Something like "left hip-right hip-shake into the ball".

Yep. Once you understand how torso rotation assists the arm, you can say anything you want.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 08:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

OK watch LTT81 again and I realize I was entirely missing the 'bring the paddle to the belly' section. For some reason I saw it as just going up a little at the end. Sometimes I'm really stupid.

This is indeed the content I'm so happy to pay for.

I had a rare week day off of work yesterday and I went to a club where I do practice tourneys. By noon just about everyone I've played against in those tourneys was at the club playing. I just realized everyone plays heaps (10 times?) more than I do. Without this sort of stuff there is no chance of getting ahead. With it I get people to stop and watch me practice. (This actually happens)

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2017, 08:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Yep. Once you understand how torso rotation assists the arm, you can say anything you want.

Well, I wish there was a way to find out if I understand this thing properly or not :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 186, 187, 188, 189, 190, 191, 192 ... 568  Next