OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 14:54

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019, 10:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FruitLoop wrote:

I'm half with you here Brett, but I think it veers dangerously towards new age mysticism. Wim Hof can catch a cold just like anyone else. Stress can certainly lower immune system though and make it more likely to pick up infections.

I'm only half with me as well. Maybe just 1/4. I'm a world-class skeptic.

I have 2 choices. 1 - To do nothing. 2 - To do something. I choose to do something. What if it is new age mysticism? It means that I'm breathing for nothing! It means that I'm contracting and relaxing my muscles for nothing. It means that I'm shaking my legs for nothing. Where is the danger?

I watched tennis player, Milos Raonic, using abdominal breathing during breaks against Nick kyrgios at the Australian Open. Was he wasting his time? I know enough to know that he is practicing abdominal breathing everyday and then he uses it in big matches to trigger relaxation. It's really time consuming and I've been there. It could be costing him 30 mins per day. Is this new age mysticism? Who really knows. I think it's a mistake to underestimate belief too. If Raonic thinks that it's helping him to win, that may be enough.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019, 11:22 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
I'm actually curious to know if it's possible to catch a cold when you are doing Wim Hof breathing everyday.

The breathing is only half of the Wim Hof method. For the other half you should hop on a plane to Washington DC. We'd love to have you, and it's going to be -13c here on Sunday.

Note to those who haven't googled WimHof already: the other half is cold therapy. Not easy to get proper cold exposure in Thailand. No wonder your hip is injured!

LOL. I've watched his stuff on the cold and it's interesting.

Top athletes often finish the competition day in ice baths. Again, does an ice bath really help reduce inflammation and increase performance? Who knows. But when it really counts, I encourage them to get into the bath because it MAY be better than doing nothing. I've been to many gas stations to help Henzell bring bags of ice back to the hotel bath. He was a true believer.

I'm not at all religious, but I acknowledge that there are almost certainly benefits to prayer for a religious person.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019, 20:39 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
Brett Clarke wrote:
FruitLoop wrote:

I'm half with you here Brett, but I think it veers dangerously towards new age mysticism. Wim Hof can catch a cold just like anyone else. Stress can certainly lower immune system though and make it more likely to pick up infections.

I have 2 choices. 1 - To do nothing. 2 - To do something. I choose to do something. What if it is new age mysticism? It means that I'm breathing for nothing! It means that I'm contracting and relaxing my muscles for nothing. It means that I'm shaking my legs for nothing. Where is the danger?

I watched tennis player, Milos Raonic, using abdominal breathing during breaks against Nick kyrgios at the Australian Open. Was he wasting his time? I know enough to know that he is practicing abdominal breathing everyday and then he uses in big matches to trigger relaxation. It's really time consuming and I've been there. It could be costing him 30 mins per day. Is this new age mysticism? Who really knows. I think it's a mistake to underestimate belief too. If Raonic thinks that it's helping him to win, that may be enough.

I think it's a very useful thing to do! And also something I need to do myself. But I just don't think it will help much in preventing colds nevermind become immune to them entirely.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2019, 23:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

FruitLoop wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
FruitLoop wrote:

I watched tennis player, Milos Raonic, using abdominal breathing during breaks against Nick kyrgios at the Australian Open. Was he wasting his time? I know enough to know that he is practicing abdominal breathing everyday and then he uses in big matches to trigger relaxation. It's really time consuming and I've been there. It could be costing him 30 mins per day. Is this new age mysticism? Who really knows. I think it's a mistake to underestimate belief too. If Raonic thinks that it's helping him to win, that may be enough.

I think it's a very useful thing to do! And also something I need to do myself. But I just don't think it will help much in preventing colds nevermind become immune to them entirely.

I honestly don't know about the cold thing. I'm a skeptic both ways. This is how I end up feeling about a lot of stuff.

What I do know is after I do the breathing, progressive relaxation and meditation, I feel totally different. Colors are more vibrant and physical tension has vanished. To put it simply, I feel good. I do bring the feeling into TT matches, but that's not the point.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 12:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT107 is now available on ttEDGE.com

ttEDGE members are not the perfect target audience for this video. In fact, it might get you into trouble. This content is extremely valuable to highly rated players and this is one of the ways I can improve an elite player's game. If you are playing people who can genuinely serve short, this video is for you. I stated that I'd make this tutorial a few weeks ago, so here it is.

Next week's video is one of my favorites.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 12:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

Lots of good advice there. Against top spin I don't think I'll ever do what your showing. I'm too trained to go after or even be passive against top spin.

I have done this short push against backspin as it's something I can read and can stick closer to the table, sadly I do it so rarely that I watch the ball and struggle to handle the incoming push.

One thing I wonder: are you implying that if you are not early to the return then push it long or push it as low as you can and prepare for the incoming loop?

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 12:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Lots of good advice there. Against top spin I don't think I'll ever do what your showing. I'm too trained to go after or even be passive against top spin.

I have done this short push against backspin as it's something I can read and can stick closer to the table, sadly I do it so rarely that I watch the ball and struggle to handle the incoming push.

One thing I wonder: are you implying that if you are not early to the return then push it long or push it as low as you can and prepare for the incoming loop?

Thanks Russ.

If you are late then you may as well return long and get ready to block/counter. In the white hot heat of a match, it's almost impossible to push short when you are still moving.

I'm designing my game so that no one will ever push one of my serves short again...or banana flick. I absolutely hate it when someone banana flicks, so I never let anyone do it against me. When you banana flick, it's the same as the short push - you have to be there early.

I have recently played 50 games (sets) in Bangkok and not one player has returned one of my serves short or used a banana flick.

The way I am able to stop people from pushing short and banana flicking is to serve lots of long fast serves with extreme variation. I try to make people afraid of all the long variations so they never want to commit to coming in early. If they aren't early, they have to push long or use a convention flick. The downside is I sometimes give people a chance to play very aggressively against my serve. I have to make a difficult block and that needs to be trained, as per this video.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 13:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Yeah, long serves are massively underestimated. The biggest problem with long serves is that practicing them is problematic: the balls get scattered everywhere in the hall, it is hard to collect them all back, and it annoys people playing on the other tables. So now I try to sneak in the hall when no one is there so I can practice them lol.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 14:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

But if you hate banana flicks coming at you, why don't you just practice against them over and over? I also hate it when somebody flicks at me, even slowly, so I practice against these returns from time to time. I even sent you a video with it a year ago or so.

PostPosted: 20 Jan 2019, 15:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
But if you hate banana flicks coming at you, why don't you just practice against them over and over? I also hate it when somebody flicks at me, even slowly, so I practice against these returns from time to time. I even sent you a video with it a year ago or so.

It's a good question. The answer is, because I don't have another 35 years to get very good at it. I'm fine with spending time on improving on existing weakness (eg backhand), but learning to play at a high level against banana flicks is new and unnecessary.

I'd rather play against the playing style which I have long term experience against. I can force players into playing a certain way, which doesn't include banana flicks and short returns. My long serves are a strength too, so it's a bit of a win win.

I think there's an advantage to playing a little different than everyone else, within reason. If you play exactly the same as everyone else, everyone is will be well trained at playing against you. For this reason, I'm also not learning the banana flick myself. I'll just push short which is slightly counter-trend today.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 00:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
My long serves are a strength too, so it's a bit of a win win.

That is why this strategy works for you. I doubt it could work for any of us, unless we want to spend a few thousand hours practicing long serves.

I'm trying a different approach that I hope can be implemented at my level with less training time - making my long push a lot better. The dream is to get a weak high open, which I can smash right back.

Longer term I still need to work on my long serves to make the change-up from short more effective. But for me it will still only be a change-up.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 00:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
My long serves are a strength too, so it's a bit of a win win.

That is why this strategy works for you. I doubt it could work for any of us, unless we want to spend a few thousand hours practicing long serves.

I'm trying a different approach that I hope can be implemented at my level with less training time - making my long push a lot better. The dream is to get a weak high open, which I can smash right back.

Longer term I still beed to work on my long serves to make the change-up from short more effective. But for me it will still only be a change-up.

There's a pretty big difference between good and bad long serves. In general, I recommend that everyone mostly serve short. I definitely should have said this in my reply to fastmover. I was only talking about myself because he asked me a specific question.

Only serve consistently long if you have exceptional long serves at your level, whatever that may be. And you'll still need good short serves too or else your potential will be seriously capped.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 03:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

So I'm still interested in the self-evaluation thread we were pulling at for several pages. It interests me that our own feelings during play can be so far off what an outsider would see watching the match, or even what we see ourselves watching the video later. Here is a recent five-set practice match of mine. SPOILER ALERT: I lost. I know how I felt about it when I played, and then when I edited the video my perspective changed a little. But if you can spare 21 minutes of your life, I'd be curious to hear what you all think about it.

Did I play well or badly? Is the opponent better or worse than me? By how much? Should I feel bad about this loss, or good, terrible, great, or just meh, okay? Why did I lose? Why did he win? Should I do anything differently next time we play?

https://youtu.be/8D2e7qRHS3A

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 03:35 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Your opponent in that video is actually at Trolley right now. So I know his rating.

The last guy you played at our club actually beat him in a couple of matches for the record ( though he lost more to JT than he won) Just to put things in perspective.

I really don't think you appreciate how well you are playing or maybe your personality doesn't let you accept it for good or other reasons.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2019, 04:08 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

Did I play well or badly? Is the opponent better or worse than me? By how much? Should I feel bad about this loss, or good, terrible, great, or just meh, okay? Why did I lose? Why did he win? Should I do anything differently next time we play?

Your opponent is very good at keeping the ball in play and has exceptional touch on the backhand, despite the fact that totally lacks LTT80-81 sort of mechanics :^) These kinds of opponents are very tough to play because they rarely make easy mistakes and fight for every point hard.

The only thing I can say is that when you topspin against fishes and lobs, you probably change direction to his forehand too soon. This guy can counterloop away from the table and is waiting for his chance. IMO it is better to keep looping to his backhand or middle if you can until he is completely off balance, and only then change directions. An example of such point is 13:51, there were a few of more, like 16:53 to some extent.

I'd refrain from commenting on anything else due to the lack of qualification :)

NextLevel wrote:

I really don't think you appreciate how well you are playing or maybe your personality doesn't let you accept it for good or other reasons.

Indeed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287, 288 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!