OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 20:59

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2018, 09:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I like the hip/knee action on the serve. It also is kind of natural to move into position as it kind of spins you square to the table.

I think you are right Brett on most forehands for the side spin thing. When the ball goes out the side of the forehand side I actually think there is little choice. I just wish my brain would remember that.

On the backhand it's pretty nice to hit the side a little as long as you follow all of the other TTedge rules (relaxed wrist, come down then up, be in position, high elbow triangle). I'm still working on all of those - 2018 year of the better backhand!

So fast long deep serves I'm still struggling on. Any ideas? I'm going to start chopping up video in a little bit from the recent tourney, if only I could get my computers to stop mining cryptocoins...

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 12:17 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett at Princeton Pong playing with his right hand (hence the awkward play):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ueF_pogYsg

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2018, 13:53 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

and people wonder why i dont shave my head.....

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 06:07 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
I like the hip/knee action on the serve. It also is kind of natural to move into position as it kind of spins you square to the table.

I think you are right Brett on most forehands for the side spin thing. When the ball goes out the side of the forehand side I actually think there is little choice. I just wish my brain would remember that.

On the backhand it's pretty nice to hit the side a little as long as you follow all of the other TTedge rules (relaxed wrist, come down then up, be in position, high elbow triangle). I'm still working on all of those - 2018 year of the better backhand!

So fast long deep serves I'm still struggling on. Any ideas? I'm going to start chopping up video in a little bit from the recent tourney, if only I could get my computers to stop mining cryptocoins...

The LTT94 knee action has helped me to improve my own serve. I feel like it has created more stable momentum in my arm which is contributing to more spin (or speed) and accuracy. As something moves faster, it becomes more stable.

I'd need to see what you are doing against those long serves to really comment.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2018, 06:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett at Princeton Pong playing with his right hand (hence the awkward play):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ueF_pogYsg

I'm glad you recorded this because it's blatantly obvious that I'm falling into my backhand counterhit and I desperately need to add the 2 step process described in LTT81.

This is a good example of why it's important to record yourself playing. You aren't doing exactly what you think and video offers an opportunity to coach yourself, providing you know what to look for.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2018, 08:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
I (again) found the source of my backhand inconsistency A coach told me that my grip was too loose and my wrist was wobbly sometimes. Which resulted in unpredictable blade angles and crappy shots. As I adjusted my grip pressure, things became way, way more stable, both against backspin and topspin. The next goal is to master down-the-line redirection with fade topspin.

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2018, 09:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I found the source of why I'm always falling back on my ass from fh looping -- I rock back on my heels into the stroke instead of keeping my heels up and shifting right to left. Domingo Diniz told me that in Portugal. Knowing why it happens hasn't helped at all to stop me doing it, but I do get a lot more pissed off at myself about it now, so that's something.

Also, the clean-shaven Brett in the Princeton Pong video reminds me of the lead singer/guitarist of The Presidents of the United States of America. Separated at birth?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2018, 01:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
I am a bit confused on when it is best to play hook/fade loops in a match situations. Personally, I like to play fade forehand down the line almost always as it is more deceptive. I play big hooks mostly when I make a cross step from wide FH not because I choose to, it just happens. I try to fade on pivot, but it is quite difficult and not there yet.

What are the other "proper" moments to play a sidespin loop, and how to train to get used to use them properly? I can think of 5th ball attack drills, like: serve, partner pushes to forehand, open up down the line, then play a big FH hook as wide as possible cross-court. What else?

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 07:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
I am a bit confused on when it is best to play hook/fade loops in a match situations. Personally, I like to play fade forehand down the line almost always as it is more deceptive. I play big hooks mostly when I make a cross step from wide FH not because I choose to, it just happens. I try to fade on pivot, but it is quite difficult and not there yet.

What are the other "proper" moments to play a sidespin loop, and how to train to get used to use them properly? I can think of 5th ball attack drills, like: serve, partner pushes to forehand, open up down the line, then play a big FH hook as wide as possible cross-court. What else?

It's difficult to hook and fade when you are close to the table and the ball is coming quickly. Generally, you will need time to make a sidespin shot.

I like to hook and fade against semi high balls or when my opponent is away from the table.

DTT22 is a hook and fade training drill video.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 09:40 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett,

Any videos in the pipeline? I presume you are preparing for the world team classic.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 14:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett,

Any videos in the pipeline? I presume you are preparing for the world team classic.

I should have LTT95 Forehand Counter Topspin ready for tomorrow.

Ben has been working on STTS, however it's an enormous job to describe what happens during points and why certain options are better than others. Maybe we can have something up by the end of Jan.

Yes, we have the World Teams Cup coming up in London. It's actually a very busy few months for the Australian Team. Lots of preparation for the home Commonwealth Games etc.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2018, 19:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT95 is now available on ttEDGE.com

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 04:44 

This video is gold. Mike Leshinsky has no chance now 8)

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 07:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ma Long is the LTT95 King. Here's a few at high speed.

https://youtu.be/-WXAAAdGJ7o?t=475
https://youtu.be/-WXAAAdGJ7o?t=228
https://youtu.be/-WXAAAdGJ7o?t=185

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2018, 12:42 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

big d wrote:
This video is gold. Mike Leshinsky has no chance now 8)

Brett Clarke wrote:

Nah - Mike is actually the LTT95 king...

But one day, I will take over...

https://youtu.be/D7TaeS9B4w8?t=593
https://youtu.be/D7TaeS9B4w8?t=669

Ignore all the misses in the video and the shallowness of the swings - lol...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 192, 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198 ... 568  Next