OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:13

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 01:52 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
fastmover wrote:
Progress on the pivot so far.

It seems that a common theme is that moving to the forehand side is challenging and moving to the backhand feels more natural. I noticed just how tired my left leg is after even a bit of training - which is the leg that needs to do much of the work to move to the forehand side.

That's funny, I have always found the opposite. It's much easier to move to my right than back to my left. I'm not only talking about the easier reach on the fh side, it's just harder to get my legs going back to the bh side.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 02:12 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
fastmover wrote:

It seems that a common theme is that moving to the forehand side is challenging and moving to the backhand feels more natural. I noticed just how tired my left leg is after even a bit of training - which is the leg that needs to do much of the work to move to the forehand side.

That's funny, I have always found the opposite. It's much easier to move to my right than back to my left. I'm not only talking about the easier reach on the fh side, it's just harder to get my legs going back to the bh side.

Yeah it's a small sample size that I'm working with. I'm going to stick with my theory for now, always some left hander odd balls out there (who flip video to make it look like they're right handed too...) ;)

I struggle to move, prepare for a loop and execute a quality loop on both sides. Pretty clunky. Just more clunky on the forehand side. I'm taking the approach of doing a few sets of 20 on each side daily and not getting too tired as my technique suffers even more and that's no good.

Like all exercises should get easier over time and become normal.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 07:38 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
I used to agree with exactly what you said Russ, more so because I prefer to pivot than to cross but I ended up concluding that while the strength of the right foot favors the pivot, it becomes about practice and serving as my cross is technically better, but I serve more pendulum and no spin. LTT42 helps a lot and I practiced so much that I don't have basic two step footwork when going to my forehand side so I am using DTT7 to build it for the first time. I suspect that if my knees were fully right, I would serve more reverse serves and backhand serves because I prefer to attack off the cross.

I prefer LTT42 footwork in general. I think it's worth learning DTT7, though I normally try to use LTT42 and the semi cross footwork mentioned in DTT7. There will be a lot more on footwork over the next few months.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 07:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

[quote="fastmover"]Progress on the pivot so far.
[/quote

It's pretty good progress. I think you'll keep improving if you just keep doing it.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 07:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
fastmover wrote:

I almost always use semi cross when moving towards the forehand side. I watched Waldner a lot as a kid and he mostly used semi cross in matches. For this reason, I've always found it easier to move towards the forehand when compared to making a pivot. Also, I only really thought about what was optimal when pivoting after I retired from competition, which is pretty sad. LTT42 is a good video.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 11:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Brett Clarke wrote:
I almost always use semi cross when moving towards the forehand side. I watched Waldner a lot as a kid and he mostly used semi cross in matches. For this reason, I've always found it easier to move towards the forehand when compared to making a pivot. Also, I only really thought about what was optimal when pivoting after I retired from competition, which is pretty sad. LTT42 is a good video.

When I returned to the sport three years ago, I'd been using cross footwork all the time. With time I adopted the onestep, but I still cross over a lot. I really like balls to my deep forehand as it feels very natural to move there and reach for them. It also feels very good.

At the same time, pivot feels a bit awkward because I have long arms and it is difficult to get away from the ball to get the space. In the video I posted I still get jammed a bit, probably because I don't move wide enough. Hopefully with time I will get stronger and it won't be an issue.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 11:47 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:
I used to agree with exactly what you said Russ, more so because I prefer to pivot than to cross but I ended up concluding that while the strength of the right foot favors the pivot, it becomes about practice and serving as my cross is technically better, but I serve more pendulum and no spin. LTT42 helps a lot and I practiced so much that I don't have basic two step footwork when going to my forehand side so I am using DTT7 to build it for the first time. I suspect that if my knees were fully right, I would serve more reverse serves and backhand serves because I prefer to attack off the cross.

I prefer LTT42 footwork in general. I think it's worth learning DTT7, though I normally try to use LTT42 and the semi cross footwork mentioned in DTT7. There will be a lot more on footwork over the next few months.

Now I don't feel so guilty. The main reason that I guess DTT7 helps is that it feels natural when you are early. With the semi-cross step, I am always waiting to time the ball in the air and I am not sure whether that is the best way to approach every ball. I should have the option of getting there on time and playing a stroke, shouldn't I? OR maybe there is a way to arrive early with LTT42 and delay the swing? If so, I might be crazy but I will kiss the basic 2 step goodbye as it doesn't do anything for me per se.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2017, 16:21 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

Now I don't feel so guilty. The main reason that I guess DTT7 helps is that it feels natural when you are early. With the semi-cross step, I am always waiting to time the ball in the air and I am not sure whether that is the best way to approach every ball. I should have the option of getting there on time and playing a stroke, shouldn't I? OR maybe there is a way to arrive early with LTT42 and delay the swing? If so, I might be crazy but I will kiss the basic 2 step goodbye as it doesn't do anything for me per se.

There is no way to arrive early with LTT42 footwork. It requires perfect timing with your left leg still in the air. In instances where you can arrive very early (playing against a chopper for example), you can side-step into position.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 07:57 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT73 and DTT8 are available on ttEDGE.com

I use LTT73 very often, so I've included it. DTT8 is one of my favorite exercises to help intermediate players improve.

Next week's LTT is a forehand flick review. It's amazing how many people mess up the forehand flick. The following week is about semi-cross footwork in both LTT and DTT

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 08:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

I think DTT7 is mostly about getting your body used to moving quickly and keeping balance.

The one time I see the DTT7 as most useful is against backspin. You'll have time to get there and then execute a nice shot still balanced. "ETTS06 - Executing table tennis shots part 6 - Serve Recovery" sort of touched on this idea.

I'm seeing new content on the site.......

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 08:10 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

I use LTT73 very often, so I've included it. DTT8 is one of my favorite exercises to help intermediate players improve.

Next week's LTT is a forehand flick review. It's amazing how many people mess up the forehand flick. The following week is about semi-cross footwork in both LTT and DTT

Mine is a forehand roll. Baby steps right?

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 08:17 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
I think DTT7 is mostly about getting your body used to moving quickly and keeping balance.

I agree. It's an introduction to moving.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 08:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I think you are talking about the forehand flick, Russ? If so, there's a specific way to play the shot and everyone seems to make a similar mistake. Hopefully LTT74 helps.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 08:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

I think you are talking about the forehand flick, Russ? If so, there's a specific way to play the shot and everyone seems to make a similar mistake. Hopefully LTT74 helps.

Yeah. It's quite a challenging shot for me. I have to react to a short ball, figure out the spin, move my foot, contact at the top of the bounce with a good snap. Honestly it's a lot to tackle and much can go wrong. It's something I never attempted until say 9 months ago. I would say playing over the table is without a doubt a struggle for me.

With that said even a bad forehand flick can win points...so I'm interested in improving it.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 18:52 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
It's funny to see the backhand helper as that is pretty much how I approach it. Against topspin, I tend to backswing more to the left as a right hander as I have serious problems playing over the ball when I backswing towards myself. Against the backspin ball, it doesn't matter as much whether I go left or right as long as I go down. But against topspin, I struggle to go backwards without going down unless I pull up to the left.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 568  Next

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!