OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:39

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 20 Nov 2018, 11:46 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

NL retired?????

Iskandar

PostPosted: 21 Nov 2018, 02:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

Watch the Tenergy logo on the front of his shirt. Even in slowmo, you'll be able to see how quickly it spins up and around to propel his arm up. Timo's torso move is so short and sharp, most people would overlook it as they watch the arm. His chest is spinning up whilst his arm is lagging to create whip.

Timo's forehand is perhaps the spinniest in the world as many top players comment. His upward torso movement happens at incredible speed even though it is short. It isn't the fastest though because he uses a bent arm and doesn't get the same forward torso rotation as the top Chinese. Using a longer arm is a better strategy, imo.

Is this a forehand you should copy? If you understand that it's the stomach, back and core muscles which drive this shot, you should do the same. If you are focused on his arm, then you are looking in the wrong place. I'd recommend you start by using a more exaggerated body movement and a longer arm. Not many players can more so quickly over a short distance.

Yeah you are so right. It took a while messing around with the robot but I was able to emulate Timo's shot to a degree. He uses his torso to create whip and then keep his arm reasonably stable through the shot and using more shoulder from the torso movement. I was able to get some very good spin on the ball even when not using much of the arm. The shot is very difficult to do consistently for me when added to a 2 ball sequence.

I set the robot to give me a block ball on the second ball and that lead me to having issues executing the first shot because I was also thinking about the second shot. Super realistic in terms of what I would do in a match. I suppose right now it would be better for me to totally ignore the thought of a next ball and just execute a ball on the table during a match.

I also destroyed a rubber doing this. I hit the table many times. Thankfully it's just my old training rubber.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 11:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ETTS51 is now available on ttEDGE.com

This is a pretty big part of my coaching these days.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 15:14 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
Can you do too much hip rotation on the forehand when you have time? If I do the maximum hip rotation that my hip flexibility allows the left knee starts to point backwards a bit. Maybe this is too much knee movement?? Also more hip flexibility could be an advantage??

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 15:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
I think trying to do too much rotation when there is no time can be a problem...

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 15:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If you have almost no time, there should be almost no turn. If you have a lot of time, there should be a massive amount of turn. I think I've mentioned this quiet a few times before.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 15:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

In video ETTS51, he had almost infinite time, so the rotation should be maximized. For a long time, coaches have been selling the concept of short and compact swings. I hear it pretty often these days because technology allows people to communicate more.

I've said it a lot, but I'll go again. Form should follow function, meaning the size of the swing should be specific to the exact situation you face. Short and compact swings are completely necessary and I'm all for them. When you are pressed for time, use a small sharp shot. Use a small hip turn and short backswing or else the ball will be in the car park by the time you swing forward.

Again, watch how to rotate when you have lots of time. Twist your torso as far as you possibly can.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 15:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

How to practice this skill -- choosing the appropriate swing for the situation?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 16:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
ETTS51 is now available on ttEDGE.com

This is a pretty big part of my coaching these days.

It is mine too ...You are teaching many of us to be coaches.

I think in the last month I've discovered a new forehand loop (I stopped hitting top spin as if it was backspin - NL was right that my forehand wasn't quite right about a year ago or more) and a few days ago I've also discovered a new backhand loop (which I will slowly work towards). I blame Timo Boll for some of this. Technique Junkie continues. I think TJing is normal for adult learners as we have to slowly ween ourselves away from bad habits and slowly develop good strokes as the body is ready for it. Sometimes it's just the brain that is ready for it.

I look back at my old forehands and see just how creative it is now compared to 12-24 months ago. There is still more spin and speed to be gained on it too. Definitely more consistency and better recovery but I can hit 3 monster forehands in a row now and if they all come back - good on them!

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2018, 16:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ping pong pr0n.

fastmover wrote:

Anticipation. Experience. Against a chopper you know you will get some time. If you serve a fast deep ball....what are you likely to get back? We're all getting better at this all the time. It just takes lots of work.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 01:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Anticipation. Experience. Against a chopper you know you will get some time. If you serve a fast deep ball....what are you likely to get back? We're all getting better at this all the time. It just takes lots of work.

Theoretical knowledge is not enough to do it right in a game. I spent a large amount of time trying to make my swing as large as possible. But I never practiced playing a short one in a situation of time deficit. I guess the proper way to practice is something like this:

Unfortunately, I don't have coach who can feed me like that, but a robot can, so maybe it is worth trying.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 08:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Let's consider an example: was my backswing at 4:41 too long for the situation?

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 11:25 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

If you start consciously thinking about how long your swing should be it may take you down a deep rabbithole.

I suggest on both swings, especially the one before the 4:41 miss, keeping the pointy end of your elbow pointed back behind you somewhere, not down towards the floor. That's a simple yes or no that's almost impossible to over-TJ.

And it helps with shot quality vs light backspin, and consistency vs block or topspin. And that's true at any swing length, in case you still want to TJ with that.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 14:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:

Looks the same as 15:25. You won that point.

PostPosted: 26 Nov 2018, 16:03 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Looks the same as 15:25. You won that point.

Be quiet Russ, people only want answers for the points they lost!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241 ... 568  Next