OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 02:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 05:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Return of serve! Will it go long? It's a game inside of the game for me now.

Losing a bunch of points on my own serve because it's so boring to do vs the game of....will it go long?!

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 08:42 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:

Losing a bunch of points on my own serve because it's so boring to do vs the game of....will it go long?!

Your own serve is kind of a game of Will it go long? too. If your opponent attacks nost long serves. That game isn't much fun.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 09:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
wilkinru wrote:

Your own serve is kind of a game of Will it go long? too. If your opponent attacks nost long serves. That game isn't much fun.

And when the short ones also get thumped...ugh!

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 10:44 

Blade: Acoustic
FH: Tenergy 05
BH: Tenergy 05
If you are lacking mobility NL stepping away from the table seems like it would be harder for you since you open up angles and would have to move to the ball a lot more. Would maybe be easier specifically when you have time for a ball that comes right at you but what about the rest of the time? Will be interesting to hear about the results, no harm in trying it.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2019, 11:30 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
The main adjustment is to stop bending my knees while playing which is where 95% of the immediate pain comes from in addition to the arthritis. If I can move without bending my knees constantly, then I will see what the limits are and work on anticipation. I do have long hands, so I want to see what the limits are in terms of compensating.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 12:11 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Tonight, I played a guy who was almost exclusively serving shot no spin serves.
I couldn't figure out what to do with them. On the BH with SP, I have no real alternative to pushing the serves but pushes turn out to be weak and easy to attack. I was trying to flick with the FH but it's pretty hard to have a good spinny fast flick out of a low dead ball. I had zero chances in the first match and lost it 0-3.

By the second match, I remembered the advice that had been given here and decided to start questioning the actual length of the serves. It turned out a lot of them weren't actually short so I started topspinning those longer serves that were coming to my FH. My opponent was trying to counter topspin my shots but was failing many attempts. I won the second match 3-2 but all the games were close and I got somewhat lucky.

My question is: Is there an effective way to deal with short low no spin serves? Thanks!

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 12:26 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
I couldn't figure out what to do with them. On the BH with SP, I have no real alternative to pushing the serves but pushes turn out to be weak and easy to attack. I was trying to flick with the FH but it's pretty hard to have a good spinny fast flick out of a low dead ball. I had zero chances in the first match and lost it 0-3.

By the second match, I remembered the advice that had been given here and decided to start questioning the actual length of the serves. It turned out a lot of them weren't actually short so I started topspinning those longer serves that were coming to my FH. My opponent was trying to counter topspin my shots but was failing many attempts. I won the second match 3-2 but all the games were close and I got somewhat lucky.

My question is: Is there an effective way to deal with short low no spin serves? Thanks!

If the serves are genuinely short, you'll probably need to flick when it really counts. It's possible to push short however the return will often pop-up if you are nervous.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 12:32 
Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
ziv wrote:

If the serves are genuinely short, you'll probably need to flick when it really counts. It's possible to push short however the return will often pop-up if you are nervous.

Got to work more on my FH flicks... I was trying to flick tonight but they were weak and slow and thus easy to attack.

BH flicks is a totally different story. I can sometimes flick a topspin and/or sidespin serve but flicking a dead ball just seems impossible to me.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 14:44 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

You use pips on the backhand so you have to be more precise.

ziv wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
ziv wrote:

Got to work more on my FH flicks... I was trying to flick tonight but they were weak and slow and thus easy to attack.

BH flicks is a totally different story. I can sometimes flick a topspin and/or sidespin serve but flicking a dead ball just seems impossible to me.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 14:48 
Super User

Blade: custom bent handle
FH: mercury
BH: nik g1
I find I can flick short no spin with some practice. I have been practicing on the robot and what works for me is to have a more forward stroke against no spin rather than a normal more vertical flick stroke against backspin. Not going 100% for ball speed helps me too. I find it more difficult on the forehand side. I need a slightly closed angle and I need to go more forward too.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2019, 23:19 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Don't flick no-spin with SP, just hit it. It's a low-percentage shot but produces a winner when you succeed. And a few of those are painful for your opponent and might take that serve away.

It's hard to serve no-spin and keep it really low. Flat hitting high no-spin serves with SP puts enormous pressure on him to keep it low. Since pushing is not a good option that's the best you got, imo. Or twiddle to inverted, which you have time for on receive, and push hard with the smooth. Just be sure to immediately twiddle back.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 00:06 
Super User

BRS wrote:
Don't flick no-spin with SP, just hit it. It's a low-percentage shot but produces a winner when you succeed. And a few of those are painful for your opponent and might take that serve away.

It's hard to serve no-spin and keep it really low. Flat hitting high no-spin serves with SP puts enormous pressure on him to keep it low. Since pushing is not a good option that's the best you got, imo. Or twiddle to inverted, which you have time for on receive, and push hard with the smooth. Just be sure to immediately twiddle back.

I need more practice with no spin - I did try to hit it but everything went into the net. Perhaps need to add a little bit of topspin with a slightly more upwards movement but that's hard to figure out during a match.

Twiddling could be an option although it would have to be done really quickly.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 00:10 
Super User

maurice101 wrote:
I find I can flick short no spin with some practice. I have been practicing on the robot and what works for me is to have a more forward stroke against no spin rather than a normal more vertical flick stroke against backspin. Not going 100% for ball speed helps me too. I find it more difficult on the forehand side. I need a slightly closed angle and I need to go more forward too.

I was able to perform some flick-like shots with my FH but they didn't pose any danger to my opponent and rather provided a good opportunity for him to attack.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 00:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

ziv wrote:
maurice101 wrote:

I was able to perform some flick-like shots with my FH but they didn't pose any danger to my opponent and rather provided a good opportunity for him to attack.

Placement and variation are both important.

PostPosted: 10 Feb 2019, 00:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
NextLevel wrote:
ziv wrote:
maurice101 wrote:

Placement and variation are both important.

But the most important is technique!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 311, 312, 313, 314, 315, 316, 317 ... 568  Next