OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:08

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 12:12 

If someone gives u a serve that u struggle against try to attack it and if u miss pretend that u just missed an easy ball, and hope they don't serve it again 8) :lol:

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 12:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

big d wrote:
If someone gives u a serve that u struggle against try to attack it and if u miss pretend that u just missed an easy ball, and hope they don't serve it again 8) :lol:

Should one also shout out - "OMG, that's the worst serve ever! How did I miss that trash?"

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 12:50 

Brett Clarke wrote:
big d wrote:

Should one also shout out - "OMG, that's the worst serve ever! How did I miss that trash?"

hey no harm in trying

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 08:27 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
What do you do when an opponent serves you a mix of side-under and side-top long to your backhand or elbow, and you can't read the top/under variation? There isn't time to learn to read it during the match, so that's not an option. Assume receiver has double-inverted spinny rubber.

a) Guess at the spin and take the normal stroke to return that kind
b) Split the difference and do a half-assed stroke that might work for either spin
c) Take an extra-aggressive loop swing in hopes of overpowering the incoming spin no matter what it is
d) Make a fraidy-cat push or bump return and pray it lands on the table someway
e) Something else?

This is a really tricky question. If your brain is unable to make the distinction between side-under and side-top, you're going to make a mess of the return, regardless of the approach. Ideally, you should have already practiced against similar serves so you aren't in this spot. I understand that it doesn't work this way, but it's the most pure response.

I would personally continue positively looping the serve because it's the aggressive and the least capped approach. If you play a 2700 player and just poke the ball back, you'll get a sore back from picking up his 3rd ball. Now you may say that your opponents aren't 2700, but that's capped thinking. If you continue improving, you'll eventually find opponents who destroy junk. Just cut to the chase and play properly today.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 08:32 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LTT83 and DTT17 are now available on ttEDGE.com

LTT83 is about using your body better on the forehand flick. For some, it will be difficult to to coordinate the movement as it requires training and sometimes feedback.

DTT17 is a great drill for cementing cross footwork. I use it pretty often.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 11:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I was going to come on here and argue about the forehand flick and how this young Chinese top player does it differently. I was going to argue how the wrist does come up a lot. I'm wrong.

So I went hunting for a video and found this right at the start of a match: https://youtu.be/Vyv3DppVXYA?t=24

He does it exactly like you are demonstrating, Brett. Well done.

Here is one with a slow motion from a different angle: https://youtu.be/Vyv3DppVXYA?t=182

This one looks so slow, and it looks like his technique isn't nearly as good but it's fast enough to get past a pro: https://youtu.be/Vyv3DppVXYA?t=347

This one isn't a flick but the forehand finish is fantastic and I want this shot. https://youtu.be/Vyv3DppVXYA?t=426
Yeah go watch the whole match, it's also a prime example of finding a serve that works against a player and abusing the snot out of it.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 13:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Is there going to be a Hip Pendulum Serve video?

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 13:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:

https://ttedge.com/videos/etts06-execut ... e-recovery

There is a follow up one too in the same section.

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 18:47 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:

Yep

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2017, 23:02 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

Yep

I knew! I knew!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 01:23 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I am pretty sure that this question popped up already, but it is hard to find. Imagine you have a shot, e.g. forehand loop that wins points in tournament matches. Then you make an enhancement (e.g. implement hip rotation), it works in practice. Including the randomized and match-like drills. But in competitive play is still not there. Then how to approach practice matches? Concentrate on using the proper techniques, consciously try to use it as much as possible and track its form (i.e. like in practice); or just hope that with time it will transfer by itself through practice?

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 01:33 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
fastmover wrote:
I am pretty sure that this question popped up already, but it is hard to find. Imagine you have a shot, e.g. forehand loop that wins points in tournament matches. Then you make an enhancement (e.g. implement hip rotation), it works in practice. Including the randomized and match-like drills. But in competitive play is still not there. Then how to approach practice matches? Concentrate on using the proper techniques, consciously try to use it as much as possible and track its form (i.e. like in practice); or just hope that with time it will transfer by itself through practice?

Questions like this need an expert review of the specific details to provide a reasonable solution. In practice matches , the main difference vs practice is usually how well you anticipate the opponent and to what degree put pressure on yourself as a result of the score. Usually, I find that people aren't usually doing what they think they are doing when they execute in matches. Trivially true, bit important because it makes a review of the specific point/shot the fastest way to get a diagnosis of the problem that may actually yield some way to improve.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 03:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Consciously use it in practice matches but don't be stupid about it. It would be hard to overuse your fh loop example. But if you are training bh, you don't want to just play bh all over the table. The reps should be realistic.

In any practice match it's a good idea to have one or two things you particularly want to work on. You can serve and receive to deliberately set up that shot, but within each point still play like you would if the match counted.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 03:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
Consciously use it in practice matches but don't be stupid about it. It would be hard to overuse your fh loop example. But if you are training bh, you don't want to just play bh all over the table. The reps should be realistic.

In any practice match it's a good idea to have one or two things you particularly want to work on. You can serve and receive to deliberately set up that shot, but within each point still play like you would if the match counted.

That is probably the way to go. Strangely, when I learned a completely new technique and tried to introduce it in match play, I used a similar approach. But when enhancing the shot that was already there I assumed I should not be conscious about it in practice match.

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2017, 04:46 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
BRS wrote:

Before every point, you should have consciously mapped out your favorite way for playing it, either to get you relaxed for the next point or to make the plan have a tiger likelihood of success. You can get foiled of course, but I find that players who do not do something like this are generally still at the level where they are not competent enough to execute what they think or they don't believe mental preparation can enhance the quality of their execution.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167 ... 568  Next