OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 11:52

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 01:02 
Super User

Blade: Yinhe V14 Pro
FH: Harder Chinese rubber
BH: Softer Chinese/ESN rubber
Brett Clarke wrote:
In the video below, I'm pushing short no matter what spin is on the ball. I might use some of the footage to make an instructional video.

Hi Brett, the push is so short and looks so effortless when you're doing it!

I'm also trying to receive serves with short pushes using SP on my BH in many cases. This kind of return seems to be effective against a lot of players, however, my pushes aren't nearly as short as yours.
What are the keys to short pushes? I think I can see one from your video - taking the ball earlier (on the rise), are there others? Thanks!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 01:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
In the video below, I'm pushing short no matter what spin is on the ball. I might use some of the footage to make an instructional video.

Hi Brett, the push is so short and looks so effortless when you're doing it!

I'm also trying to receive serves with short pushes using SP on my BH in many cases. This kind of return seems to be effective against a lot of players, however, my pushes aren't nearly as short as yours.
What are the keys to short pushes? I think I can see one from your video - taking the ball earlier (on the rise), are there others? Thanks!

The higher the level, the more important this stroke is. You need opponents who can consistently serve short before this shot becomes your best option. I've said it before - most club opponents serve long and you should be ready to attack!

I'm moving in very early and taking the ball straight off the bounce. I'm also swinging at the ball, even if it's just an inch. I'm going to make a video about it.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 01:21 
Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
The higher the level, the more important this stroke is. You need opponents who can consistently serve short before this shot becomes your best option. I've said it before - most club opponents serve long and you should be ready to attack!

That's a great point! Perhaps, I'm trying to implement the stroke against longer serves sometimes which makes it much harder for me to keep pushes short. It might still be possible to make it with SP but there are better ways to return those serves, probably.

Brett Clarke wrote:
I'm moving in very early and taking the ball straight off the bounce. I'm also swinging at the ball, even if it's just an inch. I'm going to make a video about it.

Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 01:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Wow. How's that done?? I'd love to be able to do that sort of shot. Problem is few people I play against can serve that short, I wonder if it's possible to do against a longer serve. When I try to push short the best I can achieve is to get the ball to bounce twice, and that's hard enough..

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 01:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

FruitLoop wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
I have my guess, but I'm not saying. Let's just say they have one or two women that are ranked pretty high and haven't been conspicuous in the past. Their women were also in the top group at the last WTTC.

Iskandar

India

That wasn't my guess, but it, too, is plausible. Don't remember if the Indian women were in the top group of the 2016 WTTC. I don't think they were, or I'd have watched Bhatra play at least once. Didn't visit the lower groups in the tents.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 05:06 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Speaking about travelling, what is an exciting spot to for a TT journey over the Christmas within the US or nearby, like a training camp or so?

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 05:10 
Super User

fastmover wrote:
Speaking about travelling, what is an exciting spot to for a TT journey over the Christmas within the US or nearby, like a training camp or so?

BTTC has a training camp on Dec 26-30: http://www.2xtremepong.com/
Nice South Florida weather comes for free ;)

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 05:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

ziv wrote:
fastmover wrote:

That looks like a great deal! Additional bonus is no jet lag for me. Ziv, did you attend the camp before? Is it well organized? Do mostly kids attend it, or adult players too?

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 05:51 
Super User

fastmover wrote:
ziv wrote:
fastmover wrote:

That looks like a great deal! Additional bonus is no jet lag for me. Ziv, did you attend the camp before? Is it well organized? Do mostly kids attend it, or adult players too?

I think I took one day during the previous camp.
The organization was pretty good - not without flaws, but who can organize a big event without any flaw? There were adult players, too.
Here are some pictures from the June camp on FB: https://www.facebook.com/pg/2xtremepong ... 0684961186

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 06:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

MDTTC has a camp Dec 26 - 30. It will be all kids and you, probably. It's still a good camp. I did two weeks of summer camp in 2014, it was me and 51 little kids, and it was fun. I was going to do the Christmas camp this year until the B75 3-day thing came up.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 06:48 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

I really suck at picking up the depth of the serve early enough. It's not easy I guess, since fairly often pros start to come in and get surprised by a long serve.

I probably need to work on my bh attack vs long serves first. If I could make opponents fear serving long then I'd mostly get predictable short serves and could jump on them early.

And more short-short anywhere drill too. Like most people I do too muchrally stroke practice and not nearly enough receive practice. Not easy to fix without a dedicated training partner.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 07:05 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

I really suck at picking up the depth of the serve early enough. It's not easy I guess, since fairly often pros start to come in and get surprised by a long serve.

I probably need to work on my bh attack vs long serves first. If I could make opponents fear serving long then I'd mostly get predictable short serves and could jump on them early.

And more short-short anywhere drill too. Like most people I do too muchrally stroke practice and not nearly enough receive practice. Not easy to fix without a dedicated training partner.

I figure pros expect short serves most of the time and they decide that if it is long they will be athletic enough to give a reasonable attack. If there are too many long serves they will of course adjust.

For the club level guys tho...we're looking for the long serves and the short serve is actually the unusual one!

I've been working on short balls of all types with my robot for years now and it's finally paying off in some matches. I have enough feel to flick or short push or "short chop" to where its not easy to attack, at least at my level. I feel like not changing equipment helps a lot when it comes to these touch shots.

I'm having a hell of a time with leftie's heavy sidespin to my forehand tho!

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 08:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
MDTTC has a camp Dec 26 - 30. It will be all kids and you, probably. It's still a good camp. I did two weeks of summer camp in 2014, it was me and 51 little kids, and it was fun. I was going to do the Christmas camp this year until the B75 3-day thing came up.

Most of the time I strongly dislike training with kids :( I heard so many great things about B75, but it was not doable for me so far.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 11:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Then MDTTC camp is not for you. Maybe Broward,or if Samson Dubina has one in Ohio.

I generally have a strong preference to train with kids. I have a theory that the reason kids learn so much faster than adults is not because their brains are more plastic, it's just that they have fun and aren't so damn serious about everything. I've had some exhilarating, not to say life-changing, experiences training with kids at B75.

But most adults feel the same as you do, I am def in the minority on this.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 11:36 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I've had good training experience with kids too, but those were a minority. I suspect that B75 is a bit special place: probably even kids there are internally motivated (instead of being pushed by parents, for example). So far Florida seems like the place to go; I also heard positive comments about Keinath and his camps in Europe.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 249, 250, 251, 252, 253, 254, 255 ... 568  Next