OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:15

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 568  Next
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 07:11 

Many congratulations ben!

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 12:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: Stiga Carbonado 45
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo
BH: DHS Hurricane 8-80
Today I discovered a bonus of succesfully looping half-long serves: when people are not used to serve short and low and see their serves looped over and over, it puts them under quite a pressure. Which results in more serve faults on their sides.

Apart from that, I believe that this message ("You can loop the majority of serves even if they appear to be short") is one of the most valuables lessons of TTEdge, at least for me. It makes life so much easier. I used to get overhwelmed when I imagined all the skills that seems to be necessary for serve return: pushes, flicks, on both sides and against all kind of spins. But it turns that forehand loop + footwork + experience is the most valuable asset for returning serves.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 12:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

fastmover wrote:
Today I discovered a bonus of succesfully looping half-long serves: when people are not used to serve short and low and see their serves looped over and over, it puts them under quite a pressure. Which results in more serve faults on their sides.

Apart from that, I believe that this message ("You can loop the majority of serves even if they appear to be short") is one of the most valuables lessons of TTEdge, at least for me. It makes life so much easier. I used to get overhwelmed when I imagined all the skills that seems to be necessary for serve return: pushes, flicks, on both sides and against all kind of spins. But it turns that forehand loop + footwork + experience is the most valuable asset for returning serves.

All the skills required to return serve are mostly useless at club level. Just loop the serves. It's actually quite easy to return a real short serve, if you ever come across one. When you are trying to flick or short push a half-long serve, you'll be in a world of pain.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 12:34 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
fastmover wrote:

All the skills required to return serve are mostly useless at club level. Just loop the serves. It's actually quite easy to return a real short serve, if you ever come across one. When you are trying to flick or short push a half-long serve, you'll be in a world of pain.

I used to banana flick junk serves. But it has way less power and it is more difficult to cover most table with it. Previously I wondered how could good players pivot on serve returns, it seemed to be impossible. But now I see that with proper pivot timing and movement it is not voodoo magic at all.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 13:54 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

This should be a good way to spend a Sunday afternoon

Attachment:
Henzell CDTTA Session.JPG
Henzell CDTTA Session.JPG [ 92.12 KiB | Viewed 2002 times ]

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 02:09 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:

A little far for me...any chance at some video highlights?

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 02:17 
Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
Congratulations to BRS for breaking 2000 for the first time :clap: :clap: :clap: Ben has been a major contributor to the LTT Series, so many thanks to him.

Attachment:
Ben Swift.JPG

Amazing! Congratulations Ben!

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 06:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Ringer84 wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Congratulations to BRS for breaking 2000 for the first time :clap: :clap: :clap: Ben has been a major contributor to the LTT Series, so many thanks to him.

Attachment:
Ben Swift.JPG

Amazing! Congratulations Ben!

Thanks everybody. This Learning Table Tennis lark is the only thing I've ever done where the journey really has been more fun than the destination. And meeting all of you, in person or even just online, is the best part of it.

Now that 2000 is broken I need a new goal, so I'm going to be the first US over-40-year-old-beginner to break 2200. Like an old song says -- To each his reach, and if I don't cop, it ain't mine to have. But I'll be reachin' for ya, cause I love ya, TT.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 08:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:

I'll see what I can do. William looks a bit like Grizzly Adams these days, so you may not recognize him.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 14:35 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Brett Clarke wrote:
wilkinru wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:

Attachment:

I'll see what I can do. William looks a bit like Grizzly Adams these days, so you may not recognize him.

Did he get a lifted pickup truck with offroad tires for those rough trips to the office? Got a couple of those at my work :)

I'd love to hear any insights he has and even maybe when he's instructing someone.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 05:24 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Are there any technical pitfalls of playing sidespin loop against a loaded push?

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 04:40 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

What do you do when an opponent serves you a mix of side-under and side-top long to your backhand or elbow, and you can't read the top/under variation? There isn't time to learn to read it during the match, so that's not an option. Assume receiver has double-inverted spinny rubber.

a) Guess at the spin and take the normal stroke to return that kind
b) Split the difference and do a half-assed stroke that might work for either spin
c) Take an extra-aggressive loop swing in hopes of overpowering the incoming spin no matter what it is
d) Make a fraidy-cat push or bump return and pray it lands on the table someway
e) Something else?

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 05:01 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:
What do you do when an opponent serves you a mix of side-under and side-top long to your backhand or elbow, and you can't read the top/under variation? There isn't time to learn to read it during the match, so that's not an option. Assume receiver has double-inverted spinny rubber.

a) Guess at the spin and take the normal stroke to return that kind
b) Split the difference and do a half-assed stroke that might work for either spin
c) Take an extra-aggressive loop swing in hopes of overpowering the incoming spin no matter what it is
d) Make a fraidy-cat push or bump return and pray it lands on the table someway
e) Something else?

These issues pop up for me against people who put lots of top spin on the ball. I'll pretty much just do a little swing in hopes to put it back on the table (my current stroke vs a heavy top spin serve). I'm hoping they switch to more backspin because that's just easier to deal with. So...

Hope it's top spin and deal with that first. So... A?

So, often I mess people up and they push my serve...but some people can push a top spin back on the table fairly well. Good touch or old rubber etc, it works for them.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 05:14 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
Take the ball as late as possible if you want to get it on the table and do a slow but relatively flat carry the ball stroke or a soft spinny return. This will not get it done against an aggressive thirdballer but can keep you in the point.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2017, 05:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Take the ball as late as possible if you want to get it on the table and do a slow but relatively flat carry the ball stroke or a soft spinny return. This will not get it done against an aggressive thirdballer but can keep you in the point.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166 ... 568  Next