OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 07:45

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Sportsmanship
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2017, 18:01 

Blade: YEO
FH: DHS Skyline 2 / 3-60
BH: Victas V > 15 Limber
Just have an unhappy experience in competition games recently.

Normally, before the games, I will have some warm up forehand and backhand strokes with the opponent, no matter what the skill level of the opponent. I think this is normal practice, and show with respect.

However, I met one opponent much stronger than me, at the warm up time, s/he aims to kill, I cannot keep the ball in the practice rhythm, I serve, s/he hits, I cannot return, went to pick up the ball, again and again, :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I feel disrespected, and think this is wrong, totally have no sportsmanship!

What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Sportsmanship
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2017, 18:13 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Nittaku Barwell Fleet
FH: DHS Dragonow 1.8
BH: Hellfire OX
Sorry about your experience. I'm afraid it's not uncommon, especially in the lower levels. It's certainly not ok, in my view. You have two options:

1) understand that the further you progress in the game the more likely you are to find people who understand the purpose of the warmup period, and will treat you with respect. Keep working at your game, and soon you'll leave these people behind.

2) say something about it: just don't play a shot if they don't hit the bell to you, don't get the balk, and say: would you mind if we used the warmup to get a feel for the bell, table, lighting, etc, to to get a bit of rhythm going. I'm happy to block for you if you want to play some harder shots, if you're willing to do the same for me. Save the blistering forehands for when they actually count?

Good luck - it can be frustrating, but only if you let it be.

Read my blog: "LordCope's Latest Learnings Log": http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=24452

PostPosted: 22 Oct 2017, 18:15 

In my experience, there are two types of warm up - one where both players understand what is meant to happen, and the other is as you describe. Yes, it is frustrating, however I don't know of any way to combat the problem. I've tried explaining that I need a proper warm up, but almost always the other person simply disregards that in favour of doing their own thing.

Perhaps the closest I've come to a solution is simply to halt the warm up and insist the game start. That way, neither player gains any benefit, but at least you're starting on a level playing field.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2017, 00:39 
Super User

Blade: TSP Versal CP
FH: Yasaka Shining Dragon
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon
There exists a category of players who are talented players with severe attitude and psychological problems.

Even if you ask for the practice touch, since you are such a low-level player, they will not acknowledge or even consider your request.

I have the habit of not talking too much at the table to the opponent. I simply state what I want from the rally, if they want to comply, I will in the future practice with them. Else "sorry I am busy practicing with my serves" ... or "you are too much high-level for me"... etc.

In competitions you can easily identify such players. They are the most loud-mouth and vain skilled idiots.

At the club I am probably the lowest skill guy due to my CPH :-D So still I continue to try to develop while the kids just zoom past me :lol:

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2017, 01:40 
Super User

Blade: OSP Virtuoso +
FH: Xiom Ω V Asia Max
BH: Xiom Ω V Asia Max
Try saying "If you insist on not giving me a proper warm up, I insist on warming up with someone else." Worth a shot. Ideally though, you should arrive early at the venue to get your warm ups in.

To be honest, the two minutes allotted for FH/FH and BH/BH warm ups don't really do much, for me anyway. I get loose quicker, power looping with someone who's a decent blocker. It also gives me a sense of how much spin my opponent can handle and when I'm blocking for him/her, a sense of how much spin my opponent's loops have.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2017, 13:50 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dornenglanz OX
Yes I agree with others, that's pretty poor form. :n:

I have come across a few people though, that were not even aware that the 2mins before a game is meant to be a warm up, so they treat is simply as practice or fun. It's too hard to tell for us if this was the case here, but you never know. ;)

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 06:09 

Blade: YEO
FH: DHS Skyline 2 / 3-60
BH: Victas V > 15 Limber
I think the only thing I can do is to keep practicing and seek my revenge on table, I have to up lift my skill level to beat s/him.

Sportsmanship is more important, but I can only see many are just focus on winning.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 06:25 

Blade: Darker Speed90 CP
FH: Prov H3
BH: Andro Beat
Pingpong Buddha wrote:
Just have an unhappy experience in competition games recently.

Normally, before the games, I will have some warm up forehand and backhand strokes with the opponent, no matter what the skill level of the opponent. I think this is normal practice, and show with respect.

However, I met one opponent much stronger than me, at the warm up time, s/he aims to kill, I cannot keep the ball in the practice rhythm, I serve, s/he hits, I cannot return, went to pick up the ball, again and again, :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I feel disrespected, and think this is wrong, totally have no sportsmanship!

What do you think?
I have seen numerous occasions like this.

There is no way you can change their attitude. They will continue to look down at you as long as they can beat you.

But don't be as low as them. Coach newbies. Continue to be friendly to lower level players. Continue to respect those that are stronger.

Most importantly, train hard. One day the arrogant ones will feel shocked and change their tone. That happened to me. It will happen to you.

Passionate about TT

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 06:41 
Super User

Blade: Hurricane Long 3
FH: DHS Hurricane 8
BH: Tibhar MX-P
What would the Buddha do?

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!