OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:03

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 05 Oct 2015, 14:52 

Hello everyone,
I just made the switch from Globe 999 (soft sponge) to Hurricane Neo 3 (hard sponge)
Notabley, getting the ball over feels extremely different

When using Hurricane Neo 3 to chop, it is very notable that when i only use the topsheet to chop, i can obviously make spin. However, this lacks control
IF I use the hard sponge for control and make more contact into the ball, will the amount of downspin i produce be less? Or would it be mediocore as the sponge would dampen some of the spin produced by the topsheet?

If so. What is the balance between using topsheet and sponge to chop when making downspin?

Blade : Matsushita Pro

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 09:31 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
This is a very interesting thread, i know its old, but it would be nice to see some thoughts. Sooooo... any thoughts? :wasntme:

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 09:40 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
BH: Victas Spectol S1
As for me, I think its perfectly fine for the ball to sink into the sponge, because you get more control in placement (to my experience) but because of the ultra hardness, it might be a bit unpredictable.

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 10:58 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
I myself use hurricane neo 3 on fh. But can never tell if I dig through more than the top sheet. But to me h3 neo is quite a hard rubber to master in terms of it require different techniques and sensitivity level to brush loop or power loop (still am trying my best to) but back to chopping I don't seem to have problem with it so far, in terms of sending the ball deep into the table with underpin or serving heavy sidespin.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 22:45 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
Every shot. Chop, loop, push, EVERYTHING. (Even serving....,) should engage the sponge. The sponge being compressed, stretched and then releasing is what gives the ball it's intense spin for every shot. This is why soft rubbers are much easier to use properly. However they have a limit to how hard you can hit the ball before the sponge stops being useful, that's why pros use harder sponge.

Harder sponge is just as predictable you just need to be more precise, and have less margin for error.

If you find yourself only using the toughest for shots then you may be doing them incorrectly.

Remember you have to feel the ball through the rubber. Then the sponge. Then the wood, and then into your hand....on every shot.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 21 Aug 2016, 09:59 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
RedDash wrote:
Hello everyone,
I just made the switch from Globe 999 (soft sponge) to Hurricane Neo 3 (hard sponge)
Notabley, getting the ball over feels extremely different

Usually Globe 999 sponges are quite hard, similar if not harder than the H3 neo. Of course sponge hardness of H3 neo varies quite a bit.
Another variable is the topsheet hardness. the 999 has quite a soft and elastic topsheet making it very easy to get high spin even at low impact. The Hurricanes have firmer topsheets, so you need to engage it harder to get the spin.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!