OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:20

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 08:49 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Joo Se Kev wrote:
You raise some good points! I was going for a very conversational, informal tone. That is why there are so many line breaks. I could probably tone it down a bit though. What exactly do you mean by a "before the match routine"?

I meant like a 1-page short-list of things to remember to do to prepare for a match or tournament, eg what foods to eat and when, start to hydrate yourself, excercises, etc.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2016, 10:10 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Blade: TSP Trinity Carbon
FH: Tibhar MX-S 2.0mm
BH: Viper 0.5mm
Oh, I see. Yes, that's a good idea and would make a great supplemental page that could be formatted for easy printing :up:

Personalized Online Performance Coaching for Table Tennis now available!

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2016, 00:26 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Hey guys! I've gotten some great feedback so far on the book, so big thanks to everyone who has emailed, pm'ed me, and/or responded to this thread!

Quick update: I've fixed a few typos and repaired some broken links on the book. I've also changed the header at the top of each page so that it is less intrusive. The original link will now take you to the fixed version of the book.

Here it is again:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1KHIM ... ZtOUk/view

Thanks again :rock:

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2016, 01:20 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Hi Kev and welcome back to the forum. Been years since we saw you I think.

Congratulations on the book. I've taken a brief look,mainly at the ToC and it looks interesting. I've downloaded to read later, but I think I'll enjoy it.

One thing that I'll mention, and I don't know if it ties in with your research or goes against (you can tell me perhaps), ut a show on a local channel here the other night called "The truth about exercise" espoused that a person could get a good body maintenance workout using 3 minutes (9 x 20 seconds) of intense exercise per week, like going flat out on an exercise bike for 20 seconds at a time PLUS avoiding sitting down for more than an hour at any point in the day. Now that's pretty interesting stuff, even for us TT players ;) :P

Oh, and the theory behind this 3 minutes of exercise and why its supposed to work? Apparently it programs the muscles to burn fat by getting them into the right state using the intense exercise as a trigger. Made some sense to me as I put on a couple of kgs over Christmas I reckon while I'm not playing TT twice a week and putting my muscles through conditioning that for 4 weeks or so (and I rarely over indulge at Christmas, so its not likely to be from diet change).

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 25 Jan 2016, 07:11 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
Hi Kev and welcome back to the forum. Been years since we saw you I think.

Congratulations on the book. I've taken a brief look,mainly at the ToC and it looks interesting. I've downloaded to read later, but I think I'll enjoy it.

One thing that I'll mention, and I don't know if it ties in with your research or goes against (you can tell me perhaps), ut a show on a local channel here the other night called "The truth about exercise" espoused that a person could get a good body maintenance workout using 3 minutes (9 x 20 seconds) of intense exercise per week, like going flat out on an exercise bike for 20 seconds at a time PLUS avoiding sitting down for more than an hour at any point in the day. Now that's pretty interesting stuff, even for us TT players ;) :P

Oh, and the theory behind this 3 minutes of exercise and why its supposed to work? Apparently it programs the muscles to burn fat by getting them into the right state using the intense exercise as a trigger. Made some sense to me as I put on a couple of kgs over Christmas I reckon while I'm not playing TT twice a week and putting my muscles through conditioning that for 4 weeks or so (and I rarely over indulge at Christmas, so its not likely to be from diet change).

You know what they say about things that seem too good to be true, right? ;)

I won't even address the 3 minutes of exercise a week bit; I'll let people's own BS meters take care of that.

Your weight gain over the holidays occurred because your energy balance changed. You maintained your intake (calories eaten) and decreased your output (activity level). This put you in a caloric surplus, so your body stored the extra energy.

I will say that the idea behind trying to avoid sitting for longer than an hour at a time has some merit. Do yourself a favor and listen to this podcast the next time you do the dishes:

http://sigmanutrition.com/episode95/

Gives a great overview on the effects of chronic sitting and low NEAT with some great practical take-aways.

Nice chatting with you again, Reb. It has been a while :)

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 23:37 

Blade: TSP Balsa 5.5 All+
FH: Nittaku Beautry 1.8mm
BH: S&T Hellfire ox
Hi Kev

On the nutrition and diet side I meant to mention this: -

http://fatsummit.com/event

Setup3: Blade: DMS Destroyer FH: Tenergy 05 max BH: DMS Transformer 1.5

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 00:54 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Joo Se Kev wrote:
You know what they say about things that seem too good to be true, right? ;)

I won't even address the 3 minutes of exercise a week bit; I'll let people's own BS meters take care of that.

Nice chatting with you again, Reb. It has been a while :)

Indeed it has been a while. Great to be able to have a chat again. I'm in the middle of listening to the podcast. Funny thing is they're saying similar things to the show I saw that had the 3 minute exercise concept in it. If you can watch it, I think you'll find it interesting. I'll post the link below, but I don't know if it works outside Australia. If it does, take a look. The link does expire in 8 days though, so don't dilly-dally:

http://www.9jumpin.com.au/show/thetruth ... /#autoplay

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 06:31 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

Tried to watch the link but apparently it's for Aussies only!

PostPosted: 27 Jan 2016, 06:52 
Sitting on Defence
Sitting on Defence

v02man wrote:
Hi Kev

On the nutrition and diet side I meant to mention this: -

http://fatsummit.com/event

Took a look at your link. I'm not familiar with Nick Ortner or Pedram Shojai, but I am somewhat familiar with the "Food Babe," Gary Taubes, and Dr. Ludwig. I tend to disagree with a lot of the stances they take on nutrition.