OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:22

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 18:38 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
I hope the menu of specific stages/drills will still exist along side it.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 19:29 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:

NL, not exactly sure what this means. Please let me know so we can consider your suggestion.

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 19:38 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

NL, not exactly sure what this means. Please let me know so we can consider your suggestion.

I can envision having to finish a slower stage to play a faster stage though you might have a different kind of path through the app. Being able to play the faster stage by itself or the faster stage before the slower stage may benefit people. So what I hope is that the path will not totally eliminate the direct menu of choices that correctly exists to play a specific opponent in a specific drill at a specific speed.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2016, 21:14 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
NextLevel wrote:

I can envision having to finish a slower stage to play a faster stage though you might have a different kind of path through the app. Being able to play the faster stage by itself or the faster stage before the slower stage may benefit people. So what I hope is that the path will not totally eliminate the direct menu of choices that correctly exists to play a specific opponent in a specific drill at a specific speed.

The multiball will always exist so you can choose your drill and speed at will. We can always mix and match shots to make combos and listen to user requests there too. Next time you see the app there'll be a lot more shots and combos in the multiball section.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 09:55 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

The next update is probably a couple of weeks away and it's by far the most significant update thus far. There are lots of new shots, more serves and games.

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 16:49 

Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: Donic Bluefire JP02
BH: Donic Bluefire JP02
Promissing as always. Looking forward :up: :rock: :up:

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 05:52 
Kim Is My Shadow
Kim Is My Shadow

Blade: ?
FH: ?
BH: ?
I've got the free version of this app and have been toying with buying the full version as it's an interesting concept and my focus can drift in games. Something has put me off though.

I've just been playing the backhand serve game where Trevor Brown serves. At first I was getting them 50% of the time. I was focusing on the bat angle at point of contact which I was always taught. Then I started watching for give away signs from Trevor. As you use the same video footage over and over - one take for topspin, one take for backspin, it became obvious. When serving top spin Trevor's right elbow comes up high above his right shoulder. When serving backspin, it's a shorter motion and the elbow is more horizontal and stays below his shoulder height. Now subconsciously instead of looking for bat angle and to a degree where on the bat contact is made, all I'm doing is waiting to see how high Trevor's right elbow goes. I don't bother with the ball at all, I don't bother with contact point, I don't bother with flight - all the things I need to be aware of when returning the ball.

I appreciate that video is resource intensive and can eat up storage but is there a way you can mask or vary how top spin is put on the ball more otherwise I know subconsiously I'll start to apply the same approach to other players. In short, I'll train my brain specifically in how to recognise when Trevor serves a backhand top spin serve and not how to recognise when other players serve them?

Thanks

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 08:18 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Debater, what is interesting is that my former coach, who played in the hidden serve era, says that subconsciously picking up those signs is as important as picking up the contact. In any case, I will let Brett give you a detailed response. WhIle you should focus on contact, how the racket is moving is equally important.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 09:46 

Debater,

I've used exactly that same tell against an opponent a few years ago in a tournament.
I had never seen a topspin BH serve before this guy and I eventually figured it out and I couldn't tell by contact, but I noticed his elbow broke the horizontal plane on topspin, but not under spin.
So when he served, I would keep his elbow in my perifial vision and if his elbow broke an imaginary point that I determined, then I assumed it was topspin.
With this guy, I was never wrong.

It actually helped me develop deception in the same serves. I add a upwards movement on my under spin serve.
It always fools new opponents and will cause issues with my regular training partners sometimes.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 10:11 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Red Roar wrote:
Debater,

I've used exactly that same tell against an opponent a few years ago in a tournament.
I had never seen a topspin BH serve before this guy and I eventually figured it out and I couldn't tell by contact, but I noticed his elbow broke the horizontal plane on topspin, but not under spin.
So when he served, I would keep his elbow in my perifial vision and if his elbow broke an imaginary point that I determined, then I assumed it was topspin.
With this guy, I was never wrong.

It actually helped me develop deception in the same serves. I add a upwards movement on my under spin serve.
It always fools new opponents and will cause issues with my regular training partners sometimes.

Hey Debater, thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

Trevor actually does 6 backhand serves in the app. They all look the same as he has been playing for 25 years and his strokes are "grooved". I could insert another 10 serves and they too would look the same. Every serve in the app currently has 6 takes. Most players will have tells on their serves and often those tells only become obvious when you just sit back and watch. Ideally there wouldn't be obvious, unrelated tells which aren't common, however we just served our normal serves without thought.

We chose the backhand serves and William's tomahawk serve as the free content as these serves are the easiest to read. Some of the other serves are more challenging with less obvious tells. Trevor's pendulum serve is quite difficult to read, even for an experienced player.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 14:25 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Some app recommendations:

1. There should be an option to have the crowd cheer for your opponent and possibly even groan when you win points. I would say boo, but I have never been truly booed in a match before. It would be fun to have the app opponent cho obnoxiously when you lose points. But just hearing the crowd cheer and groan would be a good first step, and maybe even the sound of a cho! even if the opponent's expression doesn't match it. Configurable choice, obviously. I think it will be popular though.

2. Would like more drill like sequences in the multiball. Like the usual, opponent opens to your middle forehand or backhand and then open to the wide forehand or backhand. That might need more shots in the app but it would be worth it.

3. Need some penholders and pips players in the app please! I know people think they are not part of high level table tennis but that's part of the reason why they give players who do not play against them often problems.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 14:41 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

NextLevel wrote:
Some app recommendations:

1. There should be an option to have the crowd cheer for your opponent and possibly even groan when you win points. I would say boo, but I have never been truly booed in a match before. It would be fun to have the app opponent cho obnoxiously when you lose points. But just hearing the crowd cheer and groan would be a good first step, and maybe even the sound of a cho! even if the opponent's expression doesn't match it. Configurable choice, obviously. I think it will be popular though.

2. Would like more drill like sequences in the multiball. Like the usual, opponent opens to your middle forehand or backhand and then open to the wide forehand or backhand. That might need more shots in the app but it would be worth it.

3. Need some penholders and pips players in the app please! I know people think they are not part of high level table tennis but that's part of the reason why they give players who do not play against them often problems.

Thanks NextLevel, your suggestions are all very good. I'm looking to put all of your reverse crowd support and Cho ideas in the app. I'm really annoyed that we didn't film us celebrating after points now.

Getting more players in the app is approximately a billion times easier said than done. There are prospects in the pipeline however you will need to be very patient here. I'd be very surprised if we had new players before Xmas.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 14:54 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Now I think about it, if there were special cho for game point and the win, that would be awesome. And that special cho could also be used when the opponent went into the lead. Celebrations at key points can be especially annoying as well.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 16:10 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Is Table Tennis Edge - The App what the ITTF are announcing on Aug 4? We can keep a secret.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 16:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Retriever wrote:
Is Table Tennis Edge - The App what the ITTF are announcing on Aug 4? We can keep a secret.

Probably not! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 543 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next