OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 543 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 21:18 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Guys,

ttEDGE has developed a new game/app and it's called Table Tennis Edge. It's currently available on iTunes App Store (iPhone/iPad) and Google Play (Android). This is Phase 1 of the app and it's going to be a long long project. Feel free to make suggestions regarding new features and functions and we will consider.

Download Links:
Apple: http://itunes.apple.com/ph/app/table-te ... mpt=uo%3D4
Andoid: http://play.google.com/store/apps/detai ... edge.test4

Trevor Brown and I will be around to answer questions about the App, TT Neuroscience and Psychology. Trevor is a Neuroscientist, Olympian and Commonwealth Game rep (Aust). For those of you who don't know Trevor, this video will be a good introduction.

Here is the ad for Table Tennis Edge:

Here's the science behind Table Tennis Edge:

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 22:22 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
Wow, very cool idea!!!

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2016, 23:45 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

I am mainly watching the ball even while playing the app. This may be defeating the purpose of the exercise.

I occasionally panic and hit a button, or both buttons, even though i don't know where the ball is going yet. That's probably a realistic image of a live point. I'm curious how it would be if the pace of the shots varied randomly within a level, like three fast, one slow, fast again. Would it be hard to wait for the ball the way it's hard to slow yourself down in real life. Or would it just be easier.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 00:04 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
BRS wrote:
I am mainly watching the ball even while playing the app. This may be defeating the purpose of the exercise.

I occasionally panic and hit a button, or both buttons, even though i don't know where the ball is going yet. That's probably a realistic image of a live point. I'm curious how it would be if the pace of the shots varied randomly within a level, like three fast, one slow, fast again. Would it be hard to wait for the ball the way it's hard to slow yourself down in real life. Or would it just be easier.

You should be watching the ball, but you also need to be watching the player. In fact, I obviously watch the player almost exclusively (or else, I would have no chance to compete with Brett). Now I can watch the ball and play decent, but you have to at least have the player strongly in your peripherals. I would suggest studying the player for a while at the lower levels. The further from the table you play the ball in a real match, the more time you have to study the player.

The real pain in the butt for me is the lefty. I am MUCH slower vs the lefty. Maybe it explains my struggle with one particular opponent. And it means I need to play lefties much more on a regular basis and ignore their playing level.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 01:37 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Wow, this is very cool. I am going to download this now. One thing I'm curious about, are these visual queues universal for all levels? What about the variablity in technique (or lack of technique) accross all players? William is obviously trained properly and has all of the technical aspect of the game correct, which makes the queues more standard (i'm thinking).

I'm wondering about the weird players that have technical flaws...

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 11:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

BRS wrote:

I need to consider the mixed speed option and talk to Trevor and G. Trevor and G are responsible for the scientific findings explained in the science video.

Panicking during points is more common than you may think. This app should help you to stop panicking and assist in concentration. We need to prove that of course although I suspect Trevor already has such results, so let's ask him.

Watch this video to see how Trevor has worked with Associations in Europe to run some of these tests and to improve performance.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 11:44 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Japsican wrote:
Wow, this is very cool. I am going to download this now. One thing I'm curious about, are these visual queues universal for all levels? What about the variablity in technique (or lack of technique) accross all players? William is obviously trained properly and has all of the technical aspect of the game correct, which makes the queues more standard (i'm thinking).

I'm wondering about the weird players that have technical flaws...

The visual cues William has are fairly universal, but everyone plays slightly differently of course. I think the main thing to consider is having one player is better than having zero and the app will enhance your visual processing speed regardless. Also, we are hoping there will be more to this app in the future.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 13:43 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Here is a question from LordCope on the ETTS thread

"Actually sometimes I find myself getting angry with myself when practicing. Eg (and i should show you the video!) one time when doing chopping against the robot, and about 10 shots in a row hit the edge of the bat or bounced of the edge of the table end, I got really fed up and swatted as hard as i could at the ball about 5 times! Yesterday my self-talk (when trying to top-spin against top-spin, and constantly hitting the ball long) I was full of: WTF is that? And if I could feel myself using incorrect technique, I would scold myself.

Similarly, as readers of the blog will know, in practice games (and even in matches) I can get very discouraged, and give up... get to the stage where I'll just play a literally stupid shot, e.g. with the bat handle, as if to say: what is the f-ing point?

These pass... and I persevere, but since Brett is so interested in the ideas of neuro-plasticity and learning, I figured he'd have some wisdom on this subject... what say you, coach?"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LordCope, Getting angry is a natural reaction and it's a big part of sport. A world ranked player sent me a picture of his broken racket after losing 4 critical European League matches over the weekend. Last night we had a one hour Skype debriefing. No one is exempt from this stuff.

Getting angry in table tennis has a lot to do with expectations. You have a conditioned image of how things should be vs reality. If the gap between the image and reality is large enough, you'll get angry. Understanding this gap issue and watching how it works in real-time can be interesting. "Look at Brett (myself), he's now getting angry because of a conditioned image and expectation." This type of real-time self observation can be part of the cure unless you get angry about getting angry. "It makes me so mad that I keep getting angry when I know I shouldn't." This cycle may sound like a bit of a joke, but it's quite real.

The cycle of getting nervous about being nervous is even more common and fascinating. "Oh, I feel so nervous that I know I'm going to lose...Oh no, now I'm even more nervous!" If you've ever lost a match from being nervous, this cycle is what happened to you. Being a little nervous is fine without the cycle. The first key to breaking this cycle is sincerely expecting and accepting nervousness. "Oh, hi nervousness, I've been expecting you. Welcome to the match!"

To be continued...

Last edited by Brett Clarke on 19 Jan 2016, 13:57, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 13:51 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Brett Clarke wrote:
Watch this video to see how Trevor has worked with Associations in Europe to run some of these tests and to improve performance.

This seems to be in association with Lars Rokkjaer, from the B75 training camp in Denmark. There's an interesting article about it here: http://www.experttabletennis.com/istvan-moldovan-interviews-lars-rokkjaer/.

Istvan, who interviews Lars, is also featured on the (excellent) Expert Table Tennis forum, in episode 11, on motivation and performance: http://www.experttabletennis.com/istvan-moldovan-motivation-and-performance/

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 14:37 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
Brett Clarke wrote:
Understanding this gap issue and watching how it works in real-time can be interesting. "Look at Brett (myself), he's now getting angry because of a conditioned image and expectation." This type of real-time self observation can be part of the cure...the first key to breaking this cycle is sincerely expecting and accepting nervousness. "Oh, hi nervousness, I've been expecting you. Welcome to the match!"

This is superb. It's very similar to some of the psychological flexibility which is central to 'Acceptance and Commitment Therapy' (ACT). This encourages people to make use of their "observing self", to place distance between thoughts and feelings and reality. For example:

"I notice that I am having the feeling of anger because I hit a ball into the net three times in a row."

And likewise, our self talk: "I'm such a loser... I'll never learn to serve backspin" ... we can *defuse* this with various techniques. One I like very much is to make it into a song. For example (to the tune of "I saw three ships"):

Code:
"I'll never learn to serve backspin
..to serve backspin
..to serve backspin
I'll never learn to serve backspin!
Because I'm such a loser!"

Literally sing it, preferably in a comical voice. It takes away all the power of the words, and lets you notice that the feelings you are having are not necessarily the same as reality. I've used this technique a great deal as I have had to come to terms with my own psychological demons over the last few years.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 14:57 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I downloaded the app last night and had a go with it. Two things I immediately had some trouble with: the sensitivity of tapping the reaction buttons...they sometimes don't register a tap...perhaps its due to not hitting them directly in the centre of the button? I think they should register when you tap within a few millimetres of the button (or is there another reason they're not registering - its not lateness as I was deliberately tapping early and sometimes not getting a registration).

The second issue is getting out of the app....there's no exit button and even hitting the back button on my tablet wouldn't get out. I had to hit the home key, which then leaves the app in memory. There should be an exit button that clears the app from memory.

Altogether, its a promising app. I'll be updating it as it develops and watching with interest. Bravo for taking a tech lead in our TT world! :up:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 17:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

RebornTTEvnglist wrote:
I downloaded the app last night and had a go with it. Two things I immediately had some trouble with: the sensitivity of tapping the reaction buttons...they sometimes don't register a tap...perhaps its due to not hitting them directly in the centre of the button? I think they should register when you tap within a few millimetres of the button (or is there another reason they're not registering - its not lateness as I was deliberately tapping early and sometimes not getting a registration).

The second issue is getting out of the app....there's no exit button and even hitting the back button on my tablet wouldn't get out. I had to hit the home key, which then leaves the app in memory. There should be an exit button that clears the app from memory.

Altogether, its a promising app. I'll be updating it as it develops and watching with interest. Bravo for taking a tech lead in our TT world! :up:

Hi, Thanks for all the great feedback.

Just a few things. First of all the thumb buttons are just there as an indication. You can actually tap anywhere on the left or right side of the table to get a response. Also, be aware that you can only tap once per shot. That shot window is from the time the ball leaves your side to the time the ball arrives back to you. A smiley will register the moment you tap.

There is no exit or back button function. You have to click the home button and the swipe it from your apps. We will do something about this in an update, especially for Android.

Can you please let me know what type of phone you are using?

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 17:44 

NextLevel wrote:
BRS wrote:

You should be watching the ball, but you also need to be watching the player. In fact, I obviously watch the player almost exclusively (or else, I would have no chance to compete with Brett). Now I can watch the ball and play decent, but you have to at least have the player strongly in your peripherals. I would suggest studying the player for a while at the lower levels. The further from the table you play the ball in a real match, the more time you have to study the player.

The real pain in the butt for me is the lefty. I am MUCH slower vs the lefty. Maybe it explains my struggle with one particular opponent. And it means I need to play lefties much more on a regular basis and ignore their playing level.

I'm with you on this NextLevel. I always reacted more slowly against left handers and found it more difficult to read the direction. I never worked out whether this was because I spent 95% of my training playing against right handers. The eyes should be following the ball and your peripheral vision should be picking up the cues from your opponent IMO.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 19:15 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Brett Clarke wrote:
Can you please let me know what type of phone you are using?

Yep, its an Asus Nexus 2 Tablet.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2016, 22:33 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

LordCope wrote:
Brett Clarke wrote:
Understanding this gap issue and watching how it works in real-time can be interesting. "Look at Brett (myself), he's now getting angry because of a conditioned image and expectation." This type of real-time self observation can be part of the cure...the first key to breaking this cycle is sincerely expecting and accepting nervousness. "Oh, hi nervousness, I've been expecting you. Welcome to the match!"

This is superb. It's very similar to some of the psychological flexibility which is central to 'Acceptance and Commitment Therapy' (ACT). This encourages people to make use of their "observing self", to place distance between thoughts and feelings and reality. For example:

"I notice that I am having the feeling of anger because I hit a ball into the net three times in a row."

And likewise, our self talk: "I'm such a loser... I'll never learn to serve backspin" ... we can *defuse* this with various techniques. One I like very much is to make it into a song. For example (to the tune of "I saw three ships"):

Code:
"I'll never learn to serve backspin
..to serve backspin
..to serve backspin
I'll never learn to serve backspin!
Because I'm such a loser!"

Literally sing it, preferably in a comical voice. It takes away all the power of the words, and lets you notice that the feelings you are having are not necessarily the same as reality. I've used this technique a great deal as I have had to come to terms with my own psychological demons over the last few years.

Thanks Lordcope, this is very interesting. I think also there are some days to just not practice, or not work on something that frustrates you. If you are already tired or angry from something else, rushed or whatever emotion is carried into the training hall (or garage) it won't he productive, and may be actively harmful. Because that rage at oneself is definitely also something that can be strengthened with training, and that's not good.

I need to re-read Get Your Game Face On and work those between point reactions into my training. I have been saying that for years, just too lazy to do it, and worried more about number of balls hit in a limited time than the overall quality of the balls hit.

Yoko Ono

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 543 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 37  Next