OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:43

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post subject: Grip question
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 15:28 

After lots of messing around I've found that the best grip for getting a lot of spin on the ball (during normal play) is with just my thumb and pointer finger on the handle. It's basically exactly what a lot of folks do on the serve. I do find though that it makes my backhand, pushes and blocks more difficult but I wonder if that would just come around with practice.

It's discouraging though that I can't find any other good player that has this grip during normal play. I find with all my fingers around the grip that I lose a lot of dexterity in my wrist as the handle kind of digs in preventing a larger angle between my arm and hand. Is this a common issue, would a shorter handle help or maybe moving my hand further down on the grip? (I was thinking maybe its up too high but it looks pretty normal. )

*I should have added it's shakehand.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

Post subject: Re: Grip question
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 15:49 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
This grip does not sound like an ideal way to play, and if you have the handle protruding further than the bottom of your palm, then it is too long. Control of the bat if just held by thumb and forefinger, for most people, would be very shaky as you either have to grip hard to hold it well or the bat will be moving around more than it should as you swing. Can you post a pic of how you are holding it to ensure I am visualising what you are saying correctly? I've just held one of my bats the way I think you're saying and it feels very unsteady.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

Post subject: Re: Grip question
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2016, 16:44 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
You're not gonna be able to swing with any sort of pace with that grip and there are a number of shots that'll be pretty much impossible to execute when you get better. Even though it might feel natural now I strongly suggest you practice with an orthodox grip, it will help you tremendously in the long run.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!