OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 06:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 18:20 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

http://cdn.laola1.tv/ittf/iframe/player ... 1_ceremony

(Don't know if that link works - it's the prize giving ceremony for the German Open.)

Hmmmmm.. 1st place prize for doubles... USD4,000??? Second place - USD2,000. Would that even cover airfare and hotels? Singles - USD13,000, second place USD6,600... yegads... even if you win 4-5 opens a year (who does???) it's not much of a living! Compare this to tennis or golf.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 20:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Nope! I think most successful pros get extra income from another source.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 20:38 
Hurricane Lover
Hurricane Lover

Blade: DHS Long 2
FH: Dianchi D
BH: Yinhe Pluto
Yes if one becomes someone like Liu Guo Liang... :D

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 20:52 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Back then prize money was probably even worse.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 21:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

HHRRRRR I`d like to MAKE my LIVING IN CHINA..

to Liu, Zhang Jike has a four year contract with Luneng in 2012. The CTTSL regulations require that before each season starts, the player and the club have to sign an Addendum to the four year contract stipulating the season's pay, including

1. base salary;
2. performance bonus; and,
3. season bonus.

While the first two types of pay are regulated by CTTSL Organization Committee, the third type of pay (seasonal bonus) is negotiated between the player and the club. Before the season starts, the Organization Committee did receive an Addendum to the four year contract signed by the club manager and Zhang Jike in which it spelled out the terms of pay for the first two parts but not the third part, which is now the focus of Zhang Jike's dispute with the club.

The signed contracts showed the following: Zhang Jike's 2015 season pay include three parts, base salary, performance bonus, and season bonus.

1. Base Salary: CNY578,800
2. Performance Bonus:
A. Playing Fee: CNY 10,000/game
B. Winning Bonus: CNY 35,000/game
3. Season Bonus: The amount and pay method shall be determined according to the club's policies

Liu explained that each club can negotiate the season bonus based on team ranking and player's performance with the player. Zhang Jike and Luneng has not reached an agreement regarding season bonus. Liu also said that the Organization Committee has urged the disputing parties to communicate and negotiate actively so as to reach an agreement. However, even before an agreement could be reached, Zhang Jike is required to show up for each match. Liu did not say whether Zhang Jike is required to play though before an agreement could be reached. Liu also did not say when the club and the player have to reach an agreement regarding season bonus.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2016, 22:58 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

You know all those players running around with tb alcs or zjk zlcs? That's where the stars make more money than from playing. In any individual sport the money drops massively below the top few winners. Certainly true in tennis, and no endorsement income for the small fry either.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 01:39 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Exactly - but in table tennis I don't think there's enough prize money even for the very top players to make a living, even if they do get their names on blades. By definition, only a tiny percentage of participants will win any prize money at all. Most are amateurs (my guess) - which means they've got "day jobs". Even the top players can only be professionals if they have some other source of income other than prize money. Either they get paid salaries (apparently some of the Chinese do), or they do other things - merchandising, coaching, etc. Where there are organized pro leagues I suppose there's salaries to be had, elsewhere..?? Dunno. There are pros other than the Chinese - Ai-chan apparently turned pro at 10 - there must be SOME money in it, somewhere, but it's not prize money.

There's this excellent book by John Grisham called "Playing for Pizza". It's about American Football - in Italy! Yes, there's an Italian NFL - with about ten teams. Most of the players are amateurs - they literally do "play for pizza" and bragging rights. There are pros - each team is allowed to hire three foreigners (usually Americans), and they don't make much - a couple thousand Euro per month or so. Great read.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 02:13 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Clearly not - prize money is so small. That's why I try to support TT as much as I can where I can.

I still think a pro event should be happening in the USA. I think with the right marketing we could actually get people in the stands.

Heck the USA Nationals and open finals were packed.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 13:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I don't know what it's like in other countries but American tournaments do draw a lot of players, due to the ratings system. The spectators at the US Nationals were mostly these players, I think. So there isn't a Pro Tour event in the US? I am surprised. But I don't think there'd be all that many spectators, unless you hold the Pro Tour tournament in conjunction with a USATT Open tournament - have the Open tournament at a nearby venue a couple days before the Tour finals, while the qualification rounds are taking place, and you'll get a big spillover during the knockout rounds and finals.

Can the US support a Pro League? I wonder. It might happen if a League system is set up for players in general, like there is in other countries.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 05:13 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
iskandar taib wrote:
http://cdn.laola1.tv/ittf/iframe/player.html?pfad=mp4:CHANNEL1-Seniors/2016/ittf_berlin/160031_t1_ceremony

(Don't know if that link works - it's the prize giving ceremony for the German Open.)

Hmmmmm.. 1st place prize for doubles... USD4,000??? Second place - USD2,000. Would that even cover airfare and hotels? Singles - USD13,000, second place USD6,600... yegads... even if you win 4-5 opens a year (who does???) it's not much of a living! Compare this to tennis or golf.

Iskandar

I guess the sponsors do pay more, especially when you're in the prices.
But we mortals here, I must say, make very little chance to even get near the 3rd place, I guess...

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2016, 11:11 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Gotta be charming guy and all to pull in sponsors too. Gotta remain consistent and in the scene year in year out. But if thats the choice u made in life , gotta ride the lightning haha. ( Im guessing it's the same for musicians and actors, only few will succeed the others always existing at the background)