OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 09:04

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 23:32 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
auzcar wrote:
I would think the same rule still apply, he needs to change the damaged bat to a "new" one. I wouldn't think there's a limit on number of times you're allowed to change the bat due to accidental damage.

Probably about equal to the number of spares you can fit in your bag Id say :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 01:36 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

auzcar wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:
What happens if you (accidentally) break two bats? German Open final, Ma Long vs. Samsonov, at 07:50 Samsonov serves long, Ma Long loops it long but ends up hitting the side of the table with his bat. (At this point, Samsonov ahead 4-1, first game.) Umpire looks at the racket, tells Ma Long to change it since there's a chunk of rubber missing on the forehand side near the edge. Takes a while. After this (rather long) pause, momentum shifts, Samsonov doesn't win a game.

What would have happened if Ma Long hit the edge AGAIN and damaged his second bat? The first time was very early in the first game.

http://cdn.laola1.tv/ittf/iframe/player ... adimir_BLR

Iskandar

I would think the same rule still apply, he needs to change the damaged bat to a "new" one. I wouldn't think there's a limit on number of times you're allowed to change the bat due to accidental damage.

There is, however, I think, a limit to how many rackets you can send down to Racket Control. I don't think people usually send more than two. I don't know if you are allowed to use someone else's "passed" racket. At that level, you can't simply pull another one out of the bag - you're not even allowed to bring the racket to the table, the umps do it.

I wonder if Tennis tournaments have a "Racket Control" - you do see Nadal et al. show up with a huge bag of them (usually with the heads wrapped in plastic). I've always wondered how they get those logos on the strings.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 03:05 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
the real question is, can you prove he did it on purpose? :^)

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 03:49 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Just Bad conduct, no disqual needed...

Player wrecks racket onto floor in elation or for some prankish reason.
-- Germans umpires now instructed to only issue a warning yellow card for bad and pranky conduct, no disqualification required upon the "wrecker" anyway. German umpires always judging this violent handling of racket as a bad conduct by the player, no more.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 07:29 
Super User

Blade: On Elmstreet Ulmo
FH: Palio Flying Dragon
BH: Spinparasite
Thank you very much friends...but one question more about this...Is the player allowed to change his or her bat with a new one with different rubbers ..for example first bat one side is pimpled but the changed bat inverted on both sides..Thanks

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 13:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Interesting question. In which case, if he desires to change bats, all he need do is "accidentally" hit the side of the table with the one he's using!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 14:23 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
I dont believe there is any rule about what the replacement bat should be. As Isk points out, for pros it needs to have gone through racquet control, but for plebs, its whatever you have in your bag.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 15:21 
Bytes worse than his Bark
Bytes worse than his Bark

Blade: OldNittaku Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05 Hard
BH: Yasaka Shining Dragon max
Quite often racket control is pre-match, but there are occasions when it will be post-match. This might just be one of them.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 16:49 
Holey Woods
Holey Woods

Blade: Joo Se Hyuk
FH: Xiom Omega VII Euro
BH: Dornenglanz ox
I've thought about that a few times as well, the impression I've got is that it doesn't need to be the same type of rubber/blade at all, as long as it's approved and "legal" to use.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 17:45 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I suppose, for us plebians, anything goes.. :lol: Except at a tournament. I'm not sure what form of racket control may be in effect at the U-1300 event at a small US tournament, but I'll bet it's non-existent to pretty cursory.

In the old days there wasn't any sort of racket control. People would be gluing up rackets in the bleachers, etc. And you could change bats anytime you wanted, as long as you let your opponent see what you had. Someone even posted about knowing someone who actually used two bats as a matter of course when a match went into expedite - he'd use one when serving, the other when receiving!

Iskandar

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 05:18 
Super User

Blade: On Elmstreet Ulmo
FH: Palio Flying Dragon
BH: Spinparasite
Multispoke wrote:
Fadil Olguner wrote:
I would like to know what happens if the player breaks his racket on purpose during the game?Does he or she have right to continue the match with another racket?What does rule say abaut it?Thanks

Rules state that you can change your bat if it is accidentally damaged.
So if a player breaks his bat on purpose then he cannot continue his match.
Also a bat change can only occur if he stays in the playing area or a bat is handed to him within the playing area. The bat change has to be agreed to by the referee.
I would imagine that a yellow card can be issued for the offence but reckon that he would be able to continue playing in the tournament if it wasn't at the knock out stage for that particular event.

For the player in question - was it at an official sanctioned tournament ?

Yes it was

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 07:15 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

IT is umpire's job to be able to tell if the racket destroyed incidentally or on purpose. Wrecking racket more than once in a match is not realistic situation, still once it do happen you adviced to look for Refery decision.

viewtopic.php?p=310729#p310729

Hear is how German umpires will deal with the case of "racket destroyed by player". At first case in a match warning issued, racket may be changed.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2016, 08:20 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

USING DIFFERENT RACKETS IN A MATCH IS A STUPED ADVENTURY.

Is it good to replace damaged racket for another one of diferent type, say some smooth rubber replaced for pimpled rubber ??
This does not look a wise deed, because you cant readjust your play instantly.
If you dare to change to a racket with some different type of rubber, say pimpled one instead of smooth one, then it is most likely to destroy your play badly.

This is the reason that all the pro player always bring up two or three spare rackets For a match, all those racket equiped with one same rubbers, and one same weight up to a gramme..

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 00:51 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Everything you need to know about this is here in the ITTF guide for match officials:

http://ultm.org/download/descargas_arbi ... dition.pdf

There are a couple of issues here. First, what happens if equipment is damaged.

Damage
7.4.1 A racket which is legal when a player starts to use it may become damaged to an extent
which invalidates its legality by, perhaps, destroying the continuity of the covering or
the uniformity of pimples over a significant part of the surface. If a player wishes to
continue with a damaged racket and the umpire has any doubt about its continuing
legality he or she should immediately report to the referee.
7.4.2 In deciding whether to allow further use of a damaged racket the referee should
consider primarily the interests of the opponent. The ball is likely to rebound
unpredictably from a damaged surface and this could cause difficulties for both players,
although the although the player who wishes to use the racket has implicitly accepted this risk.
Therefore, unless the damage is trivial, it is generally better for the racket to be
replaced.

Of course, that implicitly refers to blades damaged by accident. So what about bad conduct? There is a lot more on that in the Handbook, and it is quite nuanced. All of section 17 deals with the broad aspects of players and coaches behaving badly. Here is one key section

17.1.6 When misbehaviour occurs, the umpire has to decide whether the offence is so serious that he or she must suspend play and report immediately to the referee [in many cases in the US this would be the tournament director or his/her designated representative]. Although this option is always available and should be used when appropriate, it should rarely be necessary on the first occasion and in most circumstances the initial action should be to give the offender a warning.

Probably if a player smashes the racket play should be immediately suspended and the referee summoned. The referee in turn can do the following:

17.4.1 The referee may disqualify a player from a match, an event or a whole competition, depending on the gravity of the offence. This is a matter for his or her judgment but when a player is reported for continuing to misbehave after the award of 2 penalty
points the referee would normally disqualify him or her, holding up a red card. In very serious cases he or she would also make a formal report to the player’s parent Association.

Almost certainly smashing a racket will make you immediately lose the match.

For lesser offenses, the Handbook states that the umpire has a range of options ranging from giving an offending player a dirty look, give a yellow card warning, and after that start taking away points. The Handbook gives all sorts of advice on how to go about this. It is all pretty userful.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2016, 02:27 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Reminds me of a story I was told once, about Harry Deschamps. Harry was this quite old (maybe 60+ at the time) hardbat chopper who was rated around 2000 in the mid-1980s. He would regularly beat up-and-coming kids who looped and used sponge. Apparently, one day, a kid got so frustrated he threw his racket against the wall. Handle came off. Harry picked up the racket head and peeled the rubber off it. Kid brought out another racket. Got frustrated again, threw racket against the wall. Harry walked over, picked it up and peeled the rubber off. The kid went through three or four rackets that match. Rich kid (or rich parents), apparently.

Also reminds me of the time the person who told me this story put a HUGE (table-edge shaped) divot in the side of his racket doing a tomahawk serve too close to the table.

Iskandar

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!