OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 16 Apr 2024, 13:01

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 19:54 
Dark Knight
Dark Knight

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Dr N Troublemaker OX
What exercise do you do when away from the table, to help your table tennis?

I've been doing gym workouts, which I feel has really helped my fitness, but I don't think it's doing much for my actual play or technique.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 22:04 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Away from the table....I do stretching....when I'm picking up the ball :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 22:47 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
haggisv wrote:
What exercise do you do when away from the table, to help your table tennis?

I've been doing gym workouts, which I feel has really helped my fitness, but I don't think it's doing much for my actual play or technique.

When I was on holidays I took to running on the thread mile to make up for all the food I was eating.
Couldn't do it everyday. For 5 km I was doing around 26 min but one day a fit looking girl ran on on the adjoining thread mill & I did it in 24 min. Paid the price the following day. Reckon it makes a difference if you're playing 2 tight 5 setters back to back.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 15:33 
I am Legend
I am Legend

bicep curls. lifting the cake from table to mouth
helps with forearm snap on loops.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 15:58 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
I am trying to do more squats and deadlifts to get more power to my lower back, which is first part of me getting tired.

And Octane lateral machine feels very good for TT training, when you do like 30 second intervals standing and squating.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 17:25 

Blade: Timo Boll ALC
FH: Donic Bluefire JP02
BH: Donic Bluefire JP02
Shadow training
Bed services
Footwork training (Master University DVD's)
Weight training
Reading Forums / Watching Youtube
Mental training (visualization etc)
Video analysis of myself
Keeping progress notes (excel format)
Making profiles of my opponents (Pingskills Vault)

Some of these I do continously but due to timeconstraints I have to switch between some of them. For example I always keep notes of my training and update the Pingskills Vault with opponent profiles. Right now my focus is on Services, so I try to do bed services on a daily basis, even if it is only for 5 minutes.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2016, 19:35 
My Precious

Blade: Trinity Carbon
FH: Joola Golden Tango
BH: Tibhar Dtecs OX
I do a Tai Chi class for an hour every week which is very good for balance, focus, lunging, keeping a clear head & because there is a lot of slow arm & shoulder extension it helps with elbow, wrist & lower body flexibility. For me the perfect TT exercise. :*: :up: 8)

See the ball, be the ball...

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 03:51 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Lateral shuffles with rubber bands on the legs, promotes accessory muscle strength and endurance. Squats and deadlifts for core and leg strength. Rowing on a Concept 2 rower, amazing for cardio.

I never run anymore, jogging is bad for the spine and knees.

Nutritionally, I eat a mostly Paleo diet, except for the fact that I drink copious amounts of beer and wine. Microbrews, Belgian beer, and Northern California Reds. Some South American Malbecs. For mental health and hormesis of course. :D

I take notes on opponents using pong mobile: http://pongmobile.com/

Alex, I bet the fitness is adding some endurance to your matchplay that you might not see as directly correlated to success, but it might pay off when you're deep in tournaments. If you're not fatigued you make fewer mistakes.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 09 Jul 2016, 05:07 
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later
Rambo Looper Spin First Ask Questions Later

Blade: Donic Persson Power Play
FH: Donic Bluestorm Z3
BH: Tibhar Aurus Soft
Consider riding up bike 25+ km each way to the club once a week.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Status - Out of Business Janitor/Babysitter

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2016, 01:49 
Super User

Blade: Zhang Jike SZLC
FH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Blk
BH: Tenergy 05 2.1 Red
Japsican wrote:
I never run anymore, jogging is bad for the spine and knees.

I took up competitive running in my mid 20s - based in the Middle East and was what a lot of expatriates where doing aside for the odd game of squash. Only did it for a year but it was all on road. At my peak I was doing 1hr 3min for a 10 mile - I wouldn't have a hope of getting anywhere near that now. When I took it back up again in my late 20s did it for about another 5-6 years at lunch-hour - primarily on grass - about 3 times a week - again a number in work did it to burn off some steam but did compete in some business league races that were on the road.

I reckon that the body conditions itself to the pounding and if you work on your style of running, right length strides, wiping your feet on the mat type style, wearing the right type of runners etc. you will end up with stronger legs.

Some research has been done and it seems to indicate that runners have not accelerated the ageing process compared with their non running counterparts. That said I can get sore hips if I go on too long a walk (over an hour & a half) with my wife who walks at a decent pace. If I run the distance covering it in half the time I don't ironically have any problems. It is recognised that if you have a knee or a lower back problem from the start it will certainly get exacerbated with running. Also, if you are over weight you are more vulnerable to injury.

On balance I reckon that moderation is key mixed in with stretching and light gym work. My wife did try and take up running but she ended up with Achilles tendonitis and had to stop. She has a business colleague who torn his Achilles tendon and has switched to riding a push bike. I think you have to be athletic from the beginning - late starters can get all sorts of problems.

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 19:27 
Super User

Warm up side stepping around half of table, touching net post with playing hand.

Progress to side stepping full length of table, touching corner with playing hand. Time test - how many touches in 60 seconds.

'T' test - (prob easy to google that one!) - against clock - how long for 5 rounds.

Quick feet (in and out) turn to touch barrier, back to ready position.

Squats / sumo squats for quads.

Build core - start with plank, variations of.

Boxing.

High intensity aerobic workouts.

TT players need a strong aerobic base, not just explosive, top, explosive, stop training.

PostPosted: 11 May 2017, 11:16 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Check this out:

Do it to some Irish reels like this.. :lol:

Iskandar