OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 16:40 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
In these situations, do you go for it and be really aggressive or do you just hang around in the point and hope for a mistake or easy opportunity? Maybe you do neither and just keep trying to play as you have been all match.

I had this situation last night both when I was 2-0 and also 2-2 and couldn't convert. Did have one match point.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 17:44 

Blade: Joola Rosskopf
FH: Xiom OVE
BH: Xiom VE
once I made mistake and wanted to surprise my opponent with "something new" at the end of the fifth, final game. of course, I've lost 9:11 :) since then I always go for that most dangerous, killer serve, that my opponent doesn't like (everyone should know which serve to use by that time in the match) or play relatively safe until the right moment for attack. also, I believe that better/higher ranked player is under more pressure than you are so it is helpful to remain calm and focused.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 18:09 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
It's a tough one Cobalt. A lot comes down to how the opponent plays in the match up until then. If they have won the bulk of points by letting you attack and making the mistakes then a hang in approach will be the go. If they've been the aggressor it doesn't mean you should suddenly become the aggressor though. You've gained a lot of points to there by them making mistakes. So you want to think about how you've gain ed the bulk of your points and go that way. The one thing you don't want to do is feel the pressure and go for things like a killer serve (unless you have one you do safely). Nothing worse than serving under pressure and handing over a free point or 2. Serve so that you're at least in the point.

It really is a situation you have to size up while you're in it, but having thoughts about it long before you get into it will help a lot. Visualise being in it against a range of opponents and think about what you would do for given situations and plays. That can be something to fall back on.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 18:12 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Kontra wrote:
higher ranked player is under more pressure than you are so it is helpful to remain calm and focused.

While I tend to agree with this, often the better player feels less pressure as they have the confidence of their record behind them. A lot depends on the situation, but staying calm and focused is certainly the only way to go.

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 20:10 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
I think Reb pretty much nailed the main points. At 8-8 in the 5th etc, some patterns have been well established throughout the match. Your job is to bring those patterns into your head and select the ones you liked the most. I served this serve to here and I got this return - I liked that return so I will do it again. If the opponent does something different, kudos to them but usually, you should be able to get something you like to work with and whatever they do will teach you something you need to learn to defend against.

The things I do try to tell people are that they should avoid serving long unless they know for sure that their opponent doesn't loop long serves, which is a big wildcard. Short to the forehand tends to work best as most people below the advanced levels for not have strong flicking games and will push that ball long even if wide so you just have to be ready to chase it down and loop it.

In a close match, if you consistently played the first topspin in most points, unless you put it into predictable locations all the time that got blocked with ease leaving you off balance, have few if any regrets. Often, in TT, earning the first topspin is all we can reasonably ask for. If we do that, we have to accept the consequences and results.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2016, 20:36 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Overall was pretty happy with how I played it. Just stuck to what Id been doing. Realistically I don't think there is any way you can guarantee a win in a very even game. The match point i had was on Robs (our no 2 and in many of my videos) serve. He had between serving to my backhand all game but on that occasion served a juicy one to my forehand elbow. It got me by surprise and I think from memory did a dumb shot into the net. He got the next 2 to win 13-11. Note that I was down 10-8 and you would normally expect a better player to close it out but i was happy to even it up and give myself a shot.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2016, 17:48 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
If it's 8-8, I crack a joke. It will always throw them.

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

PostPosted: 23 Oct 2016, 18:11 
Super User

Get to 11 first

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 08:32 

Blade: DHS H. Hao III
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 05
BH: Bfly Tenergy 05FX
Good that i play with different levels and not official games or tournaments, so i sometimes let them lead to say 8-4 or even 9-3 and i fight to reach them, sometimes i success and sometimes i fail, but if i feel myself i really want to win and the opponent isn't that much good skilled then i just lead until 9-4 or 8-5 for example then i just relax and give easy points and practice my tactics until i feel i may lose then i return back to attack, but playing with no pressure at all is always making big opportunities to win, i played many times under pressure even against low level or less than me level players and they win sometimes only because i am under pressure and i miss/lose even very easy balls.

Main blade is under my profile name.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 12:22 
Super User

Blade: Hugo Calderano OFF+
FH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
BH: Hexer Powergrip 2.1
Serve a high percentage serve, mine would be a short back spin to the centre table, as I have less pressure to win, I look to be aggressive and get the first attack in, 3rd or 5th ball, try to get into a dominant position on the table and in the rally to apply pressure to the opponent.

In these situations I find that being positive and aggressive help me win far more points. Maybe as it applies extra pressure to the better player and it doesn't allow them the luxury of time to "play them self in" for the easy attack or winning shot. It makes the better player play harder and that can cause errors.

Thats my play anyway. =D

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 13:01 
Pimple Popper
Pimple Popper

If it's my serve - I'll generally pull out one of my "No-Fail" serves which i've tried during the set that the opponent has struggled with. usually i keep a few othese in the bag for these occasions. I will basically aim for either a unforced error or simple putaway. anything to keep them from attacking

if it's recieve, Aim to win 1/2 points to get to 9-9 and follow the above. recieve tight, let them worry about missing.

:-)

"slappy slappy slappity slap"

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 13:38 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Start playing mind games. At Social Weekend Doubles there's this guy who calls out "Surrender now I give you draw" (sic).

Iskandar

Last edited by iskandar taib on 01 Nov 2016, 14:10, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 15:20 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

stupet11 wrote:
Get to 11 first

I did.. :lol: :lol: but it was only 11-10 and I lost the next 3.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 15:22 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
I was 9-9 in the fifth game (best of 5). I highly recommend successive points off a net ball and an edge ball. :P

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2016, 00:49 
Super User

Blade: GiantDragon Kris2
FH: DHS H3 Neo
BH: Who Knows???
Actually, at 8-8 I'd probably choke... :P

Help me find a new blade please!

Only self-proclaimed unofficial spin doctor of OOAK. Call me Joe or musicfreak :rock:
The author of How Spin Works. The Official How Spin Works Thread. How Spin Works goes to India! See my 3D Printed/Laser Cut blade experiment blog.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!