OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 30 Mar 2024, 17:09

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 21:51 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 soft R
BH: TSP P1-R 1,5 B
iskandar taib wrote:
It will "help" but it won't be enough to bring parity. Defenders will continue to be in the minority until the equipment favors offense and defense equally. And to be honest - do we really want that? I don't really think any of us do, really. Remember why the expedite rule exists - and why it's hardly invoked these days.

Iskandar

Why wouldn't we want that? If they are equal to each other, not only will there be more exciting games, but also a chance for a defender to become World Champion, number one of the world,... Why wouldn't a defender have the right to have all these achievements? He invests in his style at least the same amount of effort as an attacker does.

The expedite rule was called into existence because defense was stronger than offense at that time.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 00:38 
Super User

Blade: S&T Black & White
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: S&T Hellfire X OX
I think the game benefits most if it's not too one dimensional either way. Somehow promote an all round variable playing style that encourages the development of both offensive and defensive skills. I don't know how that could best be done. Increase the significance of spin relative to speed?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 00:55 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
iskandar taib wrote:
It will "help" but it won't be enough to bring parity. Defenders will continue to be in the minority until the equipment favors offense and defense equally. And to be honest - do we really want that? I don't really think any of us do, really. Remember why the expedite rule exists - and why it's hardly invoked these days.

Iskandar

I think defending is a minority style, period. Most people would naturally prefer to win outright through slams/loops/drives/etc rather than play "passively" and chop or block the opponent down. Even on the lower end of the amateur levels (where the equipment is inconsequential for offense vs defense), people still more commonly try to win by attacking. The only reason they get stuck in push battles or 'paddy cake' matches is because their offense isn't that great or consistent, and they know it! So they take the safe shots, even though they'd like to be hitting home winners.

Even if equipment favored defenders outright, I still don't think it would become the primary playing style at ANY level! :lol:

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 05:13 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Lorre wrote:
The expedite rule was called into existence because defense was stronger than offense at that time.

Exactly. And too often you'd get two defenders having a "wrestling match" (I can't remember who wrote that - read it in a book written in the 1970s - he was writing about Satoh and his being able to break through these defensive "brick walls"). They brought the expedite rule in after one WC where some matches took over two hours to complete.

A good mix of defenders and attackers is good, swing it over too far and you get too many expedite matches. Today's defenders are the most spectacular to watch because they will very often (much more than in the hardbat era) start counter-attacking.

skilless_slapper wrote:
Even if equipment favored defenders outright, I still don't think it would become the primary playing style at ANY level! :lol:

There WAS a time when defense was dominant, though - this was in the 1920s-40s, even postwar. Lots and lots and lots of defenders at the world class level. Without the expedite rule matches would have gone on for a long time. Not because they were pushing at each other - with hardbat it's easier if one person topspin drives and the other chops - it was because you couldn't attack hard enough to break through a lot of these "brick wall" defenses with the equipment available (i.e. hardbat).

To answer the question asked in the header - no, I don't believe defenders are a "dying breed", they just haven't been very numerous at the top levels ever since the 1960s. I think there are more today (even among the men) than there were in the four decades following 1959.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 05:34 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
iskandar taib wrote:
Lorre wrote:

Exactly. And too often you'd get two defenders having a "wrestling match" (I can't remember who wrote that - read it in a book written in the 1970s - he was writing about Satoh and his being able to break through these defensive "brick walls"). They brought the expedite rule in after one WC where some matches took over two hours to complete.

A good mix of defenders and attackers is good, swing it over too far and you get too many expedite matches. Today's defenders are the most spectacular to watch because they will very often (much more than in the hardbat era) start counter-attacking.

skilless_slapper wrote:

There WAS a time when defense was dominant, though - this was in the 1920s-40s, even postwar. Lots and lots and lots of defenders at the world class level. Without the expedite rule matches would have gone on for a long time. Not because they were pushing at each other - with hardbat it's easier if one person topspin drives and the other chops - it was because you couldn't attack hard enough to break through a lot of these "brick wall" defenses with the equipment available (i.e. hardbat).

To answer the question asked in the header - no, I don't believe defenders are a "dying breed", they just haven't been very numerous at the top levels ever since the 1960s. I think there are more today (even among the men) than there were in the four decades following 1959.

Iskandar

Hardbat still has a following today, but I seem to see more attackers in those championships than defenders. Is that not about as fair as you can get defense vs offense?

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 06:29 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
The last time I watched a hardbat match it was a video of the USATT hardbat mens' final from 2015 or 2016. Most of the points looked like two all-out attackers with double inverted. Serve and receive were critical and the rallies ended very quickly, usually in a spin error and almost always by the 3rd or 4th ball. To me, it looks like hardbat has totally failed at its stated goals (reducing the importance of serve and receive, balancing offense and defense, making the game more watchable via longer rallies) at least at the highest level. I wouldn't say it's succeeded at making things cheaper, either - you can get decent Gambler rubber for $12 to $15, and most Chinese rubbers are in the same ballpark.

I don't know whether this is because the hardbat committee has screwed up and allowed rubbers and blades that have much more spin than what was possible during the historic hardbat era, or whether technique and physical condition have improved to the point that the equipment restrictions are ineffective. In any case, I find a good attacker/defender "sponge" match way better to watch. Even watching two top-level Chinese attackers play (Ma Long vs FZD comes to mind) is significantly more interesting, and has longer rallies to boot.

One last thing - I disagree that the propensity of modern defenders to attack more makes them better to watch. I prefer the hyperathletic style of Koji Matsushita (best couple of points start at 5:32 btw):

to watching CWX, Gionis or Filus. Joo is my favorite, but he's special in both his ability to defend from both wings and his attacking prowess.

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 09:35 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Well,

Defender style is supposedly not a passive style. Surely Everyone here knows the term prophylaxis. :)

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 11:35 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

skilless_slapper wrote:
Hardbat still has a following today, but I seem to see more attackers in those championships than defenders. Is that not about as fair as you can get defense vs offense?

Indeed it does. If there are more attackers than defenders perhaps it's because of the influence of the way table tennis is played today OUTSIDE hardbat. Most of the players started playing with sponge and perhaps don't know how to play hardbat defense. I don't think it's the sort of hardbat equipment allowed, either - after all, if you WANTED one you could easily get a classic-style 3 ply, the sort Bernard Hock used to make. (Problem is.. most people coming from the sponge game don't want this kind of bat and don't want to play defense.) Back in the hardbat era there were all out attackers, too, at the top of the sport - Reisman and Barna come to mind. But points took longer to complete because getting past defensive players wasn't easy. Reisman was favored to win the 1952 World Champs but someone and his sponge bat got in the way.. :lol:

I suppose if you wanted to reduce the spin levels in hardbat - what about mandating OX long pips (or med pips) both sides? :lol:

Iskandar

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 22:20 
Joo Too
Joo Too

I know one thing for sure: if you favor attacking players in how the game is set up, then you'll get mostly attacking players. If you do the opposite, you'll get mostly defensive ones. It's how the game is set up that will determine what you'll get. And how a game is set up is determined by humans, not by natural selection or another force humans are unable to control. Society today is "quick, quick, quick" and "I don't like to think". Translated to TT: TT rallies end really fast (3rd or 5th ball attack) and the emphasis is on speed, not spin (because spin makes you think). And that can be attributed to the neoliberal society in which being the quickest is the most important and thinking beyond tomorrow is a taboo. Strangely enough this system is beaten by a society that thinks long term (China). Let the Chinese determine how TT should look like and you'll get a totally other sport.

My blog on being a LP defender beyond 2000 USATT and the pips discrimination that comes along with that

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 08:28 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

We have now got a progidy boy, Artur Abusev. He was recently promoted to the ranks of Russia national team. We trust on him so much.

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 18:36 
Joo Too
Joo Too

Yes, Artur is quite talented. :)

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 08:13 
Super User

Blade: Sanwei F3 Pro (=TB ALC)
FH: Tibhar MX-D max
BH: Hellfire X/Dtecs ox
Defenders - Men's rankings 2018

http://results.ittf.link/index.php?opti ... Itemid=206

FILUS Ruwen 18
MURAMATSU Yuto 72
WANG Yang 94
GIONIS Panagiotis 95
JOO Saehyuk 178
WANG Xi 191
CHEN Weixing 219
KANG Dongsoo 399
PATTANTYUS Adam 560

So, Rufen is only defender in top 50 - way ahead of others.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 11:07 
Super User

Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Gambler Volt-T black
BH: TSP Spectol Blue 1.5 red
I think this is the first time Filus has made it into the top 20. Good for him, he really played his heart out at WTTC this year.

Obviously Joo has dropped largely due to inactivity, but Muramatsu and Gionis surprise me as both were in the 20s not too long ago - have they been relatively inactive in ITTF matches this year, too? Surprised to see CWX still has a world ranking at all, didn't he retire years ago?

edit: d'oh, the shifts in rankings as of January of this year are largely due to the change in ranking systems! Still glad for Filus.

Currently experimenting with short pips:
VKMO+ Gambler Volt-T + TSP Spectol Blue (1.5)
Joola CWX + Nittaku Hurricane III Pro Turbo Orange + Spinlord Gepard (1.8 )

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 13:50 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Women's game

There might be an increase in their effectiveness.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 04:05 
Super User

Yes, I want a better balance between offense and defense. Anybody here watch tennis in the 90s? Faster courts than today resulted in the serve and volley game mostly dominating, meaning attacking was the way to go. Some people prefer to it the modern day defense dominated tennis, but I'm not one of them. The sport has generally become a lot more popular worldwide too, so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this way. The drama of modern day tennis is electric, and the reason this is so for me is that there is actually a mental, physical, and emotional battle happening on court between two highly trained athletes battling to see who's better. It's all out war. Every point plays out a little differently, and it's genuinely exciting to me. Now, I understand not everyone shares my opinion, and that's fine, but there is no argument to me that table tennis is not exactly the best spectator sport; it would benefit from some variety.

Let's not forget that if table tennis were to become a more balanced sport, not only would defenders do better, matches between attackers would also be more entertaining.

Tennis fans, who would you rather watch? Isner vs Karlovic or Federer vs Nadal? Yea, Federer and Nadal are two all time greats and the other two are not, but that's not the only reason it's a more interesting matchup. It's more entertaining because there are actual rallies.

Watch this rally between Djokovic and Wawrinka. Djokovic is technically a defender, and Wawrinka an attacker. However, as the game is more balanced, both players are forced into defensive positions in this rally and take turns attacking. It creates drama. Hardbat table tennis had this balance, and it's a shame that many who represent modern day hardbat do not understand this and even have the cheek in some cases to say they are better than the greats. It's like me saying I'm better than Rod Laver at tennis simply because I have a more modern style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLF-br9zuxo&t=55s

BH - TSP Curl P1r 1.5mm

Standard Setup 2
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
FH - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm
BH - TSP Curl P4 1.5mm

Hardbat Equipment (Former Full-Time Hardbat Player)
Blade - Marty Reisman custom 5 ply Hock
Rubber - Yasaka Cobalt Alpha OX

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next