OOAK Table Tennis Forum


A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
Live Table Tennis Videos Table Tennis News Live OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 07:40


Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2017, 21:51 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3493
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 884 times
Been thanked: 464 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 Soft R
BH: TSP Curl P1-R 1.5 B
iskandar taib wrote:
It will "help" but it won't be enough to bring parity. Defenders will continue to be in the minority until the equipment favors offense and defense equally. And to be honest - do we really want that? I don't really think any of us do, really. Remember why the expedite rule exists - and why it's hardly invoked these days.

Iskandar


Why wouldn't we want that? If they are equal to each other, not only will there be more exciting games, but also a chance for a defender to become World Champion, number one of the world,... Why wouldn't a defender have the right to have all these achievements? He invests in his style at least the same amount of effort as an attacker does.

The expedite rule was called into existence because defense was stronger than offense at that time.

_________________
There's always stuff to improve!


Top
 Profile  
 


Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 00:38 
Online
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 08 Jul 2017, 11:04
Posts: 274
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 71 times
Blade: S&T Firestarter
FH: Armstrong SH-I 1.8
BH: TSP Curl P3 Alpha R OX
I think the game benefits most if it's not too one dimensional either way. Somehow promote an all round variable playing style that encourages the development of both offensive and defensive skills. I don't know how that could best be done. Increase the significance of spin relative to speed?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 00:55 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 24 Apr 2011, 11:24
Posts: 459
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 119 times
Blade: Innershield ZLF
FH: Chop-City!
BH: Curl P-4 OX
iskandar taib wrote:
It will "help" but it won't be enough to bring parity. Defenders will continue to be in the minority until the equipment favors offense and defense equally. And to be honest - do we really want that? I don't really think any of us do, really. Remember why the expedite rule exists - and why it's hardly invoked these days.

Iskandar



I think defending is a minority style, period. Most people would naturally prefer to win outright through slams/loops/drives/etc rather than play "passively" and chop or block the opponent down. Even on the lower end of the amateur levels (where the equipment is inconsequential for offense vs defense), people still more commonly try to win by attacking. The only reason they get stuck in push battles or 'paddy cake' matches is because their offense isn't that great or consistent, and they know it! So they take the safe shots, even though they'd like to be hitting home winners.

Even if equipment favored defenders outright, I still don't think it would become the primary playing style at ANY level! :lol:

_________________
Innershield zlf
Tenergy 80 fx 1.7
Backhand: Curl p-4 OX


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 05:13 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 6582
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 796 times
Lorre wrote:
The expedite rule was called into existence because defense was stronger than offense at that time.


Exactly. And too often you'd get two defenders having a "wrestling match" (I can't remember who wrote that - read it in a book written in the 1970s - he was writing about Satoh and his being able to break through these defensive "brick walls"). They brought the expedite rule in after one WC where some matches took over two hours to complete.

A good mix of defenders and attackers is good, swing it over too far and you get too many expedite matches. Today's defenders are the most spectacular to watch because they will very often (much more than in the hardbat era) start counter-attacking.

skilless_slapper wrote:
Even if equipment favored defenders outright, I still don't think it would become the primary playing style at ANY level! :lol:


There WAS a time when defense was dominant, though - this was in the 1920s-40s, even postwar. Lots and lots and lots of defenders at the world class level. Without the expedite rule matches would have gone on for a long time. Not because they were pushing at each other - with hardbat it's easier if one person topspin drives and the other chops - it was because you couldn't attack hard enough to break through a lot of these "brick wall" defenses with the equipment available (i.e. hardbat).

To answer the question asked in the header - no, I don't believe defenders are a "dying breed", they just haven't been very numerous at the top levels ever since the 1960s. I think there are more today (even among the men) than there were in the four decades following 1959.

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 05:34 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 24 Apr 2011, 11:24
Posts: 459
Has thanked: 11 times
Been thanked: 119 times
Blade: Innershield ZLF
FH: Chop-City!
BH: Curl P-4 OX
iskandar taib wrote:
Lorre wrote:
The expedite rule was called into existence because defense was stronger than offense at that time.


Exactly. And too often you'd get two defenders having a "wrestling match" (I can't remember who wrote that - read it in a book written in the 1970s - he was writing about Satoh and his being able to break through these defensive "brick walls"). They brought the expedite rule in after one WC where some matches took over two hours to complete.

A good mix of defenders and attackers is good, swing it over too far and you get too many expedite matches. Today's defenders are the most spectacular to watch because they will very often (much more than in the hardbat era) start counter-attacking.

skilless_slapper wrote:
Even if equipment favored defenders outright, I still don't think it would become the primary playing style at ANY level! :lol:


There WAS a time when defense was dominant, though - this was in the 1920s-40s, even postwar. Lots and lots and lots of defenders at the world class level. Without the expedite rule matches would have gone on for a long time. Not because they were pushing at each other - with hardbat it's easier if one person topspin drives and the other chops - it was because you couldn't attack hard enough to break through a lot of these "brick wall" defenses with the equipment available (i.e. hardbat).

To answer the question asked in the header - no, I don't believe defenders are a "dying breed", they just haven't been very numerous at the top levels ever since the 1960s. I think there are more today (even among the men) than there were in the four decades following 1959.

Iskandar


Hardbat still has a following today, but I seem to see more attackers in those championships than defenders. Is that not about as fair as you can get defense vs offense?

_________________
Innershield zlf
Tenergy 80 fx 1.7
Backhand: Curl p-4 OX


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 06:29 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 02 May 2017, 11:49
Posts: 111
Location: CT, USA
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Hurricane 3 (black)
BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.2 (red)
The last time I watched a hardbat match it was a video of the USATT hardbat mens' final from 2015 or 2016. Most of the points looked like two all-out attackers with double inverted. Serve and receive were critical and the rallies ended very quickly, usually in a spin error and almost always by the 3rd or 4th ball. To me, it looks like hardbat has totally failed at its stated goals (reducing the importance of serve and receive, balancing offense and defense, making the game more watchable via longer rallies) at least at the highest level. I wouldn't say it's succeeded at making things cheaper, either - you can get decent Gambler rubber for $12 to $15, and most Chinese rubbers are in the same ballpark.

I don't know whether this is because the hardbat committee has screwed up and allowed rubbers and blades that have much more spin than what was possible during the historic hardbat era, or whether technique and physical condition have improved to the point that the equipment restrictions are ineffective. In any case, I find a good attacker/defender "sponge" match way better to watch. Even watching two top-level Chinese attackers play (Ma Long vs FZD comes to mind) is significantly more interesting, and has longer rallies to boot.

One last thing - I disagree that the propensity of modern defenders to attack more makes them better to watch. I prefer the hyperathletic style of Koji Matsushita (best couple of points start at 5:32 btw):






to watching CWX, Gionis or Filus. Joo is my favorite, but he's special in both his ability to defend from both wings and his attacking prowess.

_________________
Seeking joy and fitness in recreational modern defense.
My blog: "Two rubbers, one racket"
Kill the game against long Pimps with Coach Li!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 09:35 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 07 Nov 2014, 13:26
Posts: 622
Location: Bogor, Indonesia
Has thanked: 2774 times
Been thanked: 82 times
Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Well,

Defender style is supposedly not a passive style. Surely Everyone here knows the term prophylaxis. :)


Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 11:35 
Offline
Goes to 11
Goes to 11
User avatar

Joined: 13 Jan 2014, 20:27
Posts: 6582
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 796 times
skilless_slapper wrote:
Hardbat still has a following today, but I seem to see more attackers in those championships than defenders. Is that not about as fair as you can get defense vs offense?


Indeed it does. If there are more attackers than defenders perhaps it's because of the influence of the way table tennis is played today OUTSIDE hardbat. Most of the players started playing with sponge and perhaps don't know how to play hardbat defense. I don't think it's the sort of hardbat equipment allowed, either - after all, if you WANTED one you could easily get a classic-style 3 ply, the sort Bernard Hock used to make. (Problem is.. most people coming from the sponge game don't want this kind of bat and don't want to play defense.) Back in the hardbat era there were all out attackers, too, at the top of the sport - Reisman and Barna come to mind. But points took longer to complete because getting past defensive players wasn't easy. Reisman was favored to win the 1952 World Champs but someone and his sponge bat got in the way.. :lol:

I suppose if you wanted to reduce the spin levels in hardbat - what about mandating OX long pips (or med pips) both sides? :lol:

Iskandar


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2017, 22:20 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3493
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 884 times
Been thanked: 464 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 Soft R
BH: TSP Curl P1-R 1.5 B
I know one thing for sure: if you favor attacking players in how the game is set up, then you'll get mostly attacking players. If you do the opposite, you'll get mostly defensive ones. It's how the game is set up that will determine what you'll get. And how a game is set up is determined by humans, not by natural selection or another force humans are unable to control. Society today is "quick, quick, quick" and "I don't like to think". Translated to TT: TT rallies end really fast (3rd or 5th ball attack) and the emphasis is on speed, not spin (because spin makes you think). And that can be attributed to the neoliberal society in which being the quickest is the most important and thinking beyond tomorrow is a taboo. Strangely enough this system is beaten by a society that thinks long term (China). Let the Chinese determine how TT should look like and you'll get a totally other sport.

_________________
There's always stuff to improve!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 08:28 
Offline
Super User
User avatar

Joined: 10 Jun 2007, 09:24
Posts: 435
Location: Universe
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 35 times
We have now got a progidy boy, Artur Abusev. He was recently promoted to the ranks of Russia national team. We trust on him so much.





Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 10 Sep 2017, 18:36 
Offline
Joo Too
Joo Too
User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2008, 18:31
Posts: 3493
Location: Dendermonde, Belgium
Has thanked: 884 times
Been thanked: 464 times
Blade: BTY Joo Se Hyuk ST
FH: DHS Hurricane 3-50 Soft R
BH: TSP Curl P1-R 1.5 B
Yes, Artur is quite talented. :)

_________________
There's always stuff to improve!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 08:13 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 17 Jul 2013, 17:01
Posts: 483
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 68 times
Blade: Joola CWX
FH: Joola rhyzm 2.1
BH: Dtecs 0.5
Defenders - Men's rankings 2018

http://results.ittf.link/index.php?opti ... Itemid=206

FILUS Ruwen 18
MURAMATSU Yuto 72
WANG Yang 94
GIONIS Panagiotis 95
JOO Saehyuk 178
WANG Xi 191
CHEN Weixing 219
KANG Dongsoo 399
PATTANTYUS Adam 560

So, Rufen is only defender in top 50 - way ahead of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 11:07 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 02 May 2017, 11:49
Posts: 111
Location: CT, USA
Has thanked: 73 times
Been thanked: 28 times
Blade: VKMO (FL)
FH: Hurricane 3 (black)
BH: Grass D.Tecs 1.2 (red)
I think this is the first time Filus has made it into the top 20. Good for him, he really played his heart out at WTTC this year.

Obviously Joo has dropped largely due to inactivity, but Muramatsu and Gionis surprise me as both were in the 20s not too long ago - have they been relatively inactive in ITTF matches this year, too? Surprised to see CWX still has a world ranking at all, didn't he retire years ago?

edit: d'oh, the shifts in rankings as of January of this year are largely due to the change in ranking systems! Still glad for Filus.

_________________
Seeking joy and fitness in recreational modern defense.
My blog: "Two rubbers, one racket"
Kill the game against long Pimps with Coach Li!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2018, 13:50 
Offline
Super User

Joined: 11 May 2013, 18:01
Posts: 532
Location: Podunk Pongville USA MALE
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 13 times
Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
Women's game

There might be an increase in their effectiveness.

_________________
Panda Drive / 4H Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0 / BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max / Play right-handed
XVT balsa carbon 10mm / 4H Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0 / BH Globe 979 Long Pips OX / Play Left-handed shakehand
Stiga Def Wood / 4H Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0 / BH GD CC LP OX .. Play Left-handed
Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2018, 04:05 
Offline
Senior member

Joined: 17 Mar 2013, 08:08
Posts: 127
Has thanked: 69 times
Been thanked: 20 times
Yes, I want a better balance between offense and defense. Anybody here watch tennis in the 90s? Faster courts than today resulted in the serve and volley game mostly dominating, meaning attacking was the way to go. Some people prefer to it the modern day defense dominated tennis, but I'm not one of them. The sport has generally become a lot more popular worldwide too, so I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this way. The drama of modern day tennis is electric, and the reason this is so for me is that there is actually a mental, physical, and emotional battle happening on court between two highly trained athletes battling to see who's better. It's all out war. Every point plays out a little differently, and it's genuinely exciting to me. Now, I understand not everyone shares my opinion, and that's fine, but there is no argument to me that table tennis is not exactly the best spectator sport; it would benefit from some variety.

Let's not forget that if table tennis were to become a more balanced sport, not only would defenders do better, matches between attackers would also be more entertaining.

Tennis fans, who would you rather watch? Isner vs Karlovic or Federer vs Nadal? Yea, Federer and Nadal are two all time greats and the other two are not, but that's not the only reason it's a more interesting matchup. It's more entertaining because there are actual rallies.

Watch this rally between Djokovic and Wawrinka. Djokovic is technically a defender, and Wawrinka an attacker. However, as the game is more balanced, both players are forced into defensive positions in this rally and take turns attacking. It creates drama. Hardbat table tennis had this balance, and it's a shame that many who represent modern day hardbat do not understand this and even have the cheek in some cases to say they are better than the greats. It's like me saying I'm better than Rod Laver at tennis simply because I have a more modern style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLF-br9zuxo&t=55s

_________________
Standard Equipment
Blade - Joo Sae-Hyuk ST
FH - DHS Hurricane 3 Neo 2.2mm
BH - Butterfly Feint Long III 1.1mm

Hardbat Equipment (Former Full-Time Hardbat Player)
Blade - Marty Reisman custom 5 ply Hock
Rubber - Yasaka Cobalt Alpha OX


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next



All times are UTC + 9:30 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Copyright 2012 OOAK Table Tennis Forum. The information on this site cannot be reused without written permission.

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




Don't forget to 'LIKE' our forum on Facebook if you enjoy the content: