OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 10:11

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2016, 23:17 
Super User

Blade: Acoustic Carbon Inner ST
FH: Rakza Z
BH: Rakza Z
…you probably shouldn't have a T-shirt with just the word "PONG" on it and no indication that it's "Ping Pong", otherwise everyone will just think you have B.O. and are proud of it. Yes, I did see it online, but just for a change, I don't want to embarrass the vendor. :P

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2016, 23:26 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
hangdog wrote:
…you probably shouldn't have a T-shirt with just the word "PONG" on it and no indication that it's "Ping Pong", otherwise everyone will just think you have B.O. and are proud of it. Yes, I did see it online, but just for a change, I don't want to embarrass the vendor. :P

I don't see connection between PONG and B.O. - is this something specific to AU, like local slang or something?

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2016, 23:58 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
pong |pɒŋ | Brit. informal
noun
a strong, unpleasant smell. corked wine has a powerful pong.
verb [ no obj. ]
smell strongly and unpleasantly. the place just pongs of dirty clothes.
DERIVATIVES
pongy |ˈpɒŋi | adjective (pongier, pongiest)
ORIGIN early 20th cent.: of unknown origin.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016, 00:21 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
Hmm - I guess it won't work well there then. Here it's more likely to evoke the first video game, 'Pong' and Ping Pong, of course.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016, 00:43 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
This reminds me of a debate on a radio talk show on my way home from work the other day.

It talked about whether to be straight forward towards someone who's using the grammar incorrectly or ignore them if you can out of courtesy within a conversation.
Some say that maybe towards your closer friends you're obligated and its better to tell them the correct way of pronouncing words etc.
Some say if you can ignore it might as well out of respect towards the person you're talking to.

In this case, if you go all pedantic on pong as a word you would imagine the ones wearing the shirt as promoting B.O issues for example.
And me, if i see someone wearing a shirt with the word pong on it, i'd probably relate it more to beer pongs, and pong the old arcade game, even if i know pong is related to funky smell, those two comes to my head first.

All taken in perspectives I guess.

(oh on the debate of whether I should correct the person if there's an incident that he/she mispronounce a word, depends on the situation and how well I've known the person)

1- obviously in a meeting where your boss are giving a speech no-no
2- driving in a car with my mum or dad yes
3-dinner with girlfriend yes.
4- talking with a stranger at the bus stop no
haha you get my idea

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016, 00:48 
Count Darkula
Count Darkula

Blade: Bty Gergely T5000
FH: TSP Regalis Blue Max
BH: Tibhar Grass Dtecs
Reminds me of hats that you can buy at the markets (and presumably some shops would sell them) that have the word "DOPE" printed on them. I've seen the odd person wearing them even. But to me its like they're labelling themselves A dope...as in a stupid person...and well you know, if the cap fits.... :P :lol:

S/U 3: Blade: Bty Gergely . No rubbers...thinking of adding Red Dtecs and Black Rasant
Aussie Table Tennis Shop / Aussie Table Tennis Facebook Page / Equipment Review Index / Read my Reb Report Blog: click here.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016, 03:19 
Darth Pips
Darth Pips

Blade: Stiga Cybershape Carbon
FH: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5
Ha ha, I've never heard of "pong" having that meaning. If I saw that, I would think of ping pong or the video game, as pgpg has pointed out also.

LOL, someone who would refer to themselves as being "dope" truly is a "dope". :D

FH Rubber: Butterfly Tenergy 19 2.1
BH Rubber: Dr Neubauer ABS3 1.5

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016, 07:03 
Super User

Blade: DMS Revolution
FH: XIOM Vega China max
BH: DrN ABS fAnti max
LordCope wrote:
pong |pɒŋ | Brit. informal
noun
a strong, unpleasant smell. corked wine has a powerful pong.
verb [ no obj. ]
smell strongly and unpleasantly. the place just pongs of dirty clothes.
DERIVATIVES
pongy |ˈpɒŋi | adjective (pongier, pongiest)
ORIGIN early 20th cent.: of unknown origin.

hm, it is good then i didnt knew that in high-school when they call me Pongy (because of my last name "Pongrac" and i played ping-pong) :lol:

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 14:05 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

No, I've definitely heard the word "Pong" used to describe unpleasant odors in the US - it's not just a British thing. Which is why I thought the name "I-Pong" unfortunate when I first came across it. :lol: It is true in the US that some people (mainly frat kids in the basement) refer to table tennis as "Pong".

"Pongier" and "Pongiest" - :lol:

Now, about "dope". Apparently, these days, among the hip (or maybe it's just the hip-hop) words such as "dope", "bomb" and "pimp" have entirely new meanings - apparently they're used to describe things which are excellent or admirable. I came across this video some months ago and it never fails to give me a bad case of the giggles.

Apparently, table tennis (they mean the video game, not what WE play) isn't just "dope", it's "dopest". Those two guys on the intro picture, though.. if that doesn't fit the very definition of "dopey", I don't know what does... :lol:

Iskandar