OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:42

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 19:57 
I am Legend
I am Legend

LOOPOVER wrote:
For your type of player, a lot of good background reading for you, organized in one place. Go to:

North Little Rock Table Tennis Group timeline page on Facebook

what makes it his type of player?
i just flicked through that group, and it basically summarises as 'seniors, your backhand is rubbish so use lp/anti'

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2016, 21:44 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Blade: Donic Waldner Senso V1
FH: Donic Baracuda Big Slam
BH: Victas Triple Regular
Silver wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:
For your type of player, a lot of good background reading for you, organized in one place. Go to:

i just flicked through that group, and it basically summarises as 'seniors, your backhand is rubbish so use lp/anti'

I tend to agree, I've looked at this page and nothing there for me, just seems like pips, pips and more pips.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 02:33 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

kim biceps wrote:
Embedded on your youtube search history perhaps :D

Uh, no, see the title of the video... :lol:

Cobalt wrote:
Silver wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:

I tend to agree, I've looked at this page and nothing there for me, just seems like pips, pips and more pips.

I've been TRYING to have a look, but... 1) no link. 2) I don't do Facebook - can't even log in any more.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 03:30 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
climbingbubba wrote:
Been playing off and on for years and I want to start training and learning better technique. I watched a few videos and this is where I am at. What are things I can work on?

Beginning - FH
3:10 - BH

https://youtu.be/wD9OAQgEd5c

Put long pips or anti on your backhand to handle serve returns, concentrate on developing an offensive forehand. That is an efficient way to develop. You have been playing for years without much development.

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 12:08 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

LOOPOVER wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:
Been playing off and on for years and I want to start training and learning better technique. I watched a few videos and this is where I am at. What are things I can work on?

Beginning - FH

Put long pips or anti on your backhand to handle serve returns, concentrate on developing an offensive forehand. That is an efficient way to develop. You have been playing for years without much development.

Naah... he just needs some proper coaching and practice with some proper coaches and training partners. The reason he hasn't developed is he's been playing with others of the same level in the basement or rec room. The long pips/anti on the backhand is ONE way to do things but for people with weak strokes, it's just a band-aid. Once he's developed that backhand and serve returns, then he can decide whether to adopt long pips or anti. No long pips/anti is completely immune to spin and he still has to be able to read spin. And if he moves to long pips/anti really early in his development he'll never get a chance to develop his backhand.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 15:31 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Well said Iskandar.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 18:55 
I am Legend
I am Legend

iskandar taib wrote:
LOOPOVER wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:

Beginning - FH

Naah... he just needs some proper coaching and practice with some proper coaches and training partners. The reason he hasn't developed is he's been playing with others of the same level in the basement or rec room. The long pips/anti on the backhand is ONE way to do things but for people with weak strokes, it's just a band-aid. Once he's developed that backhand and serve returns, then he can decide whether to adopt long pips or anti. No long pips/anti is completely immune to spin and he still has to be able to read spin. And if he moves to long pips/anti really early in his development he'll never get a chance to develop his backhand.

Iskandar

Totally agree.
No point in putting long pips or anti on the backhand to handle serve return when we don't actually know if he will need help handling serve return. The OP needs to have a decent crack at learning proper, guided form first.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 20:11 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

I guess if he really were an old geezer with mobility problems going to long pips/anti on the backhand might be a good option, but then again I've been beaten (badly! :lol: ) by old geezers with mobility problems, who had no problems just standing there and blasting shots past me with their backhands. And no, they weren't using long pips or anti. To be fair I've also been beaten by (somewhat younger then the above mentioned) people who receive serves and block with long pips (though I can't remember anyone using anti), but they used the long pips as a weapon, not as a crutch.

Here's the video embedded:

He definitely does NOT look like an old geezer! :lol:

Actually, looking at that video again - one way to correct the wrist position, perhaps, might be to do some practice swings (or pretend topspin drives) with a TENNIS racket. Holding a tennis racket like that would just feel utterly wrong - the wrist should be bent down so that the shank of the racket is an extension of the forearm, not at 90 degrees to it. I suppose those Tenaly blades are for people who want to keep their wrist in this sort of position for some reason, or are unable to bend it enough...

Iskandar

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2016, 18:11 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Did you buy a bat in the end?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 04:43 
Super User

Blade: Timo Boll Spirit
FH: H3 neo 40 Degrees
BH: Tenergy 05
Iskandar put it the best on the lp/anti and bh!

and yes did u ended up buying a new setup?

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 09:48 

Sorry for not getting back to this thread. I got busy with finals and hadn't gotten any more email notifications so I figured it had died out.

Thanks for all the advice. I am going to really focus on straightening my wrist, bending my knees, and swinging at a steady upwards slope for FH. For BH I will quite using my whole arm and focus on pivoting around my elbow and using my wrist to snap it more, all while staying low. I will also work on some footwork drills.

As for a new bat. I got caught up in hype and probably bought way fancier then I needed. This is what I ended up with.

Donic Waldner Senso Carbon
Donic Desto F4 2.0 FH
Donic Desto F4 1.8 BH

It is actually a really controllable setup. The rubber seems to be rated slower than mark V with better control and slightly more spin. The blade is where I probably could have done better by getting a slower one but I don't feel like it is uncontrollable by any means. I don't hit it off the end of the table as much anymore. I am getting fairly consistent.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 16:51 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

climbingbubba wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. I am going to really focus on straightening my wrist, bending my knees, and swinging at a steady upwards slope for FH. For BH I will quite using my whole arm and focus on pivoting around my elbow and using my wrist to snap it more, all while staying low. I will also work on some footwork drills.

Don't know if the wrist should be "straightened" or "bent" (or "cocked"), I guess it's semantics, but the handle of the racket should be parallel with your forearm rather than at right angles to it. Imagine holding a tennis racket, it's similar. (To me this is a "bent" or "cocked" wrist, not a straight one - what you're doing now is a "straight" wrist.) Don't know about snapping the wrist on the backhand, perhaps at this stage it'd be best not to use very much wrist if at all. Also probably better to concentrate on flatter topspin drives - looping can come afterwards.

Anyone there play with backspin? Or sidespin? :lol: Learning to push is another basic skill, I don't recall seeing you doing it on the video.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 18:17 
I am Legend
I am Legend

keep your wrist straight for now. trying to integrate a wrist snap will just cause timing instability when you contact the ball. Wrist snap will come naturally when you start trying to hit harder.

I also wouldnt worry about the blade/rubbers being too fast or what not. You'll adjust. Plus, the WSC really isn't that fast.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 20:12 
003 Style Master
003 Style Master

Silver wrote:
keep your wrist straight for now. trying to integrate a wrist snap will just cause timing instability when you contact the ball. Wrist snap will come naturally when you start trying to hit harder.

I also wouldnt worry about the blade/rubbers being too fast or what not. You'll adjust. Plus, the WSC really isn't that fast.

Probably need to clarify whether you mean backhand or forehand. My view is no wrist snap on forehand but relaxed wrist with a bit of whip on backhand, no need to go overboard but keep it loose otherwise might be hard to change if used to keeping it locked.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 23:32 

iskandar taib wrote:
climbingbubba wrote:

Don't know if the wrist should be "straightened" or "bent" (or "cocked"), I guess it's semantics, but the handle of the racket should be parallel with your forearm rather than at right angles to it. Imagine holding a tennis racket, it's similar. (To me this is a "bent" or "cocked" wrist, not a straight one - what you're doing now is a "straight" wrist.) Don't know about snapping the wrist on the backhand, perhaps at this stage it'd be best not to use very much wrist if at all. Also probably better to concentrate on flatter topspin drives - looping can come afterwards.

Anyone there play with backspin? Or sidespin? :lol: Learning to push is another basic skill, I don't recall seeing you doing it on the video.

Iskandar

I replied to you in my other post but i'll answer a few things here.

I can upload a video of pushes as well. My brother and I practiced them for a while the other day. I figured that focusing on FH and BH drives for the video would be more than enough for me to work on. My one brother has a very spinny, low, short serve. I push when he serves. My other brother, who doesn't care about form or anything, plays fast side spin serves that I usually have to flick quickly off the bounce or step back a bit from the table. His game dramatically changes when he is drunk ha ha.

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!