OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 01:18

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 23:37 

Silver wrote:
keep your wrist straight for now. trying to integrate a wrist snap will just cause timing instability when you contact the ball. Wrist snap will come naturally when you start trying to hit harder.

I also wouldnt worry about the blade/rubbers being too fast or what not. You'll adjust. Plus, the WSC really isn't that fast.

Thanks for the advice, I got some practice last night. My FH felt a lot better. I kept my wrist flatter, bent my knees, stayed on the balls of my feet, moved to the ball better, and kept my upper arm closer to my torso. I was hitting a lot more consistent and we had some pretty good rallies (30-40 consecutive hits). My BH is still struggling but i'll keep at it.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2016, 23:40 

Cobalt wrote:
Silver wrote:
keep your wrist straight for now. trying to integrate a wrist snap will just cause timing instability when you contact the ball. Wrist snap will come naturally when you start trying to hit harder.

I also wouldnt worry about the blade/rubbers being too fast or what not. You'll adjust. Plus, the WSC really isn't that fast.

Probably need to clarify whether you mean backhand or forehand. My view is no wrist snap on forehand but relaxed wrist with a bit of whip on backhand, no need to go overboard but keep it loose otherwise might be hard to change if used to keeping it locked.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

I figured that is what he meant, I try to get my spin from brushing the ball on the upstroke with my FH and the BH I try to snap it a bit. The BH feels a bit less natural at the moment.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2016, 01:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

The real test of your strokes (and the bat's control) is when you start adding power and hitting the ball a lot harder. Also a too-fast bat shows up when pushing - it's harder to keep from popping the ball up and/or pushing too long. It's entirely possible that bat's OK, of course, it's just that carbon bats do have this reputation for being too fast and feeling too "hard". These days, though, there's "soft carbon" and "thin carbon" and whatnot, too, so it's not necessarily true anymore.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2016, 02:55 

iskandar taib wrote:
The real test of your strokes (and the bat's control) is when you start adding power and hitting the ball a lot harder. Also a too-fast bat shows up when pushing - it's harder to keep from popping the ball up and/or pushing too long. It's entirely possible that bat's OK, of course, it's just that carbon bats do have this reputation for being too fast and feeling too "hard". These days, though, there's "soft carbon" and "thin carbon" and whatnot, too, so it's not necessarily true anymore.

Iskandar

Yes, you are correct on the "soft carbon". It is a "carbon fleece" which is softer and more flexible. It also has 2 layers of limba outside of the carbon on each side.

Either way, I am stuck with it now ha ha. I'll just make the most of it.

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2016, 08:12 
Super User

Blade: XVT Balsa Carbon 10mm all
FH: Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
BH: Globe 979 OX
climbingbubba wrote:
iskandar taib wrote:

Iskandar

Yes, you are correct on the "soft carbon". It is a "carbon fleece" which is softer and more flexible. It also has 2 layers of limba outside of the carbon on each side.

You could ad a little of a certain oil to your topsheet which would give you more control for pushing and looping .. that is what the big boys say ..

Cpen SOS Wood / 4H 729 802-40 2.0 / BH GD Talon use righthanded shakehand grip
HARDBAT / Shakehand Hock 3 ply / Friendship Dr Evil OX .. Play Right-handed

PostPosted: 17 Dec 2016, 10:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Oh geez, forget the oil for now. Yeah, it works mainly for Chinese rubbers and people use it to rejuvenate Tensors that have gone dead, but it's something for way down the road, if at all. It's technically illegal anyway, not that rec players need worry about that.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 01:59 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

climbingbubba wrote:

Went to have a look at Donic's web site to see if I could find info about this "carbon fleece", but for this blade they simply say they've added two carbon layers. If the "fleece" is what I think it is, it's sold as carbon "tissue" or carbon "veil" - it's more of a tissue with randomly oriented fibers than a cloth (like most carbon that is used in blades). I've built blades with it before, it does add some stiffness to the blade's surface. Sanwei uses it in multiple layers (they sell 9 ply blades that have 8 layers of the carbon veil in between the wood plies).

Donic rates the Waldner Allplay at 6+ and the Senso Carbon at 8+. I imagine the Allplay would be like a Stiga Allround Classic speed-wise, so the Senso Carbon would be ALL+ to OFF-. 85 grams, not terribly heavy.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 22:48 
I am Legend
I am Legend

climbingbubba wrote:
Cobalt wrote:
Silver wrote:

Probably need to clarify whether you mean backhand or forehand. My view is no wrist snap on forehand but relaxed wrist with a bit of whip on backhand, no need to go overboard but keep it loose otherwise might be hard to change if used to keeping it locked.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

I figured that is what he meant, I try to get my spin from brushing the ball on the upstroke with my FH and the BH I try to snap it a bit. The BH feels a bit less natural at the moment.

i was thinking of the backhand when I was writing that, but it really applies to both sides.
Yes, i'd agree with Cobalt, relax your wrist and try not to lock it. I wouldn't try to integrate a whip on purpose yet. But it's probably best not to think about wrist snap at the moment. Keep it relaxed, you'll get a bit of movement, it'll all work out.

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2016, 00:09 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
You should learn to counterhit properly before learning to loop. Unfortunately, there are no good counterhitting videos online. THey don't explain that the idea is to hit the ball forward and flat while imparting little/minimal topspin, so learners don't differentiate as easily between counterhitting and looping.

For example, while Gerada explains the difference here, I would argue that his counterhit finishes too high for my tastes, but he is obviously a much better player and coach than I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ZwTYRBXM8

Some videos to help. I find that talking about these things without visual aids can lead to all kinds of issues. USually, you should try to perform the stroke in front of the mirror for a while without a ball. Then go to the table and record yourself doing the same stroke. Were I to coach you, I would ask for regular updates and footage to make sure you were on the right path.

Elbow stability is incredibly important. Power comes from the core rotation. Therefore, it is better to hit the ball slowly with the arm and get the form right before using the body for power than to try to get power from the arm early and then create bad habits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tDSi5YqxhM

FH and BH counterhit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnaY6ltLY-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7rX5-90DQ&t

Forehand golf topspin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q1BmuQEGp0

FH Topspin Basics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgu07kjb_g4

Backhand topspin using tick whip with exercises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgvxkRaSZQk

BH Flick (but it focuses on the elbow positioning that is key to all backhand spin strokes)
If you understand the "unsheath the sword" motion, your backhand loop is on the right track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BTgP5Vnd1U

This is like 6 months plus of basic learning video. Good luck.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 19 Dec 2016, 01:15 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Somehow I think that golf topspin's supposed to be a loop.. :lol:

Yeah, the basic "flat" topspin drive is something to master first back on the forehand and backhand. There was a series of videos where Brett was teaching someone this stroke, pointing out mistakes, etc. At one time I was having real trouble with this, I was able to do loops but the basic forehand and backhand flat drives were beyond me. If it helps, perhaps start with blocking against topspin, and then put more and more power into the blocks. It's a more bread-and-butter shot that the loop at the lower levels of the game, I win a lot more points with it than with loops (mainly because the opportunity for looping and counterlooping doesn't present itself that often and my loops aren't all that consistent).

In any case - a coach should be able to help.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2016, 03:36 

NextLevel wrote:
You should learn to counterhit properly before learning to loop. Unfortunately, there are no good counterhitting videos online. THey don't explain that the idea is to hit the ball forward and flat while imparting little/minimal topspin, so learners don't differentiate as easily between counterhitting and looping.

For example, while Gerada explains the difference here, I would argue that his counterhit finishes too high for my tastes, but he is obviously a much better player and coach than I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5ZwTYRBXM8

Some videos to help. I find that talking about these things without visual aids can lead to all kinds of issues. USually, you should try to perform the stroke in front of the mirror for a while without a ball. Then go to the table and record yourself doing the same stroke. Were I to coach you, I would ask for regular updates and footage to make sure you were on the right path.

Elbow stability is incredibly important. Power comes from the core rotation. Therefore, it is better to hit the ball slowly with the arm and get the form right before using the body for power than to try to get power from the arm early and then create bad habits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tDSi5YqxhM

FH and BH counterhit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnaY6ltLY-g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI7rX5-90DQ&t

Forehand golf topspin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q1BmuQEGp0

FH Topspin Basics
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgu07kjb_g4

Backhand topspin using tick whip with exercises
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgvxkRaSZQk

BH Flick (but it focuses on the elbow positioning that is key to all backhand spin strokes)
If you understand the "unsheath the sword" motion, your backhand loop is on the right track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BTgP5Vnd1U

This is like 6 months plus of basic learning video. Good luck.

There is a lot of info here. I will start through them and work on them as I go. Pingskills seems to have decent videos on counter hits. I will have to work on them.

My wife gave me the go ahead to get a semi cheap table and a robot. There really isn't room to play against someone in my house but if the table is pushed against the wall I should have 4-5 feet on the other side. This may be my best bet since I can only get out once or twice a week to play.

PostPosted: 22 Dec 2016, 21:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Actually, once or twice a week isn't too bad - more is better of course but a lot of people get about this much playing time. Spend as much of it at the club as you can.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 01:17 

Blade: Stiga Clipper CC
FH: DHS H3
BH: Xiom Vega Japan
Hi OP

A friend of mine had a similar fh swing to you about 2 month ago. weve been hitting n hes improved to be much more consistent(very dramatic)

are you trying to topspin the ball? are you just hitting it back? are you looping? is your friend A strong player? have you played other sports?golf? Is there more room on the other side of the table

If your friend is your level then

If your friend is a club player MAKE him loop to you n u learn block. the better your block is the sooner you can attack with it.

Youre trying to do to much it looks like. the ball weighs x amount n youre using so much muscle to hit the ball. it doesnt take 1% power to hit the ball back. Youre very close to the table giving you less time to move your feet and swing.

Let the paddles weight do the work

think of the x y z axis in math. your swing is basicaly a rotation of hips/body on the y axis. DONT TAKE A BACK SWING TILL LONG TIME. The faster you hit and they hit=less time = less time for the rotation on the y axis. but even with minimal rotation you can still get enough pace on the ball using your weight foward on the z axis(toward where you want the ball to land). having your weigh going foward requires you to be in the right position, ready(not waiting) for the ball.(as seen in your video doing the fh to fh rally).

2.contact was behind the ball every time and youre lifting up like youre looping or TRYING to top spin the ball. with your contact you have to go through the ball but not by swinging your arm. Y axis rotation. looping is for other days my friend

3.4. You can always move foward and reach for the low ball .. you cannot be too close and scoot back.

Practicing
3. try hitting from really far off the table(any amount) like 3-10 ft. find your range n get rallies going. scoot up to the table find your range n rally.still close to table; try hitting it "as fast as you can"(this term confuses people) it doesnt exactly mean hit the ball as hard as you can. it means like hit it as hard as YOU can. you should be able to get a few 3 or 4 ball rallies. and back off the table n hit as hard as YOU can again. same with backhand. You could really do this by yourself(I did on robot) you can toss it up from 10 ft away step into a few dont move on some. flat hit some spin some. aim in the middle of the other side of table.

4.to emphasize weight foward you can try walking into the ball(2 steps)n make contact with your left foot infront
arm stays locked inplace/sways/loose and time your rotation to aim the ball

5. commit to the ball. if he hits it wide move your feet. if your late just commit to the defense n lob it up. or youre early n just bomb it at him. even in warmups for now. In the game if the ball comes to you go ahead n crush it but if youre not ready for it or reaching, just hitting it back can get you points.

6. if you dont stop hitting you'll see drastic improvements

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 02:18 
Super User

Blade: VKMO
FH: Victas VS > 401
BH: Victas Spectol S1
What would this guy's USATT rating be? Just out of curiosity :P
I bet he's improved a LOT since the first post :lol:

Rating: Recreational Player

PostPosted: 25 Apr 2017, 15:50 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

To get an estimation of that he'd have to attend a tournament, or at least, play at a club that has players who've been in tournaments so he can make an estimation based on who beats him and whom he beats. I'm curious as well.

Iskandar