OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:58

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2016, 04:05 
Ninja of the Holy Chtchet

Blade: Koji Matsushita
FH: Tibhar MX-S Max
BH: Yasaka Rising Dragon 2.0
Are there any examples of CLASSIC DEFENDER SP choppers?

What about Classic Def who use extremely grippy LP choppers (more grippy than P-1R, like FL3 or P4 with 1.0mm sponge). Only one I can think of is Viktoria Pavlovich who uses FL3 and attacks seldomly.

Projects: Player Equipment Grid
Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2016, 05:17 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
Ding Song. :)

Sent from my S5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2016, 05:28 

BeGo wrote:
Ding Song. :)

Sent from my S5E using Tapatalk

I knew you would know, brother Classic Defender. ;)

Comprehensive Thin Inverted Chopping Rubbers Grid ⇝ Please send me corrections or new submissions

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2016, 06:16 
Super User

Ding Song was great and did use short pips, but in my opinion belongs not in the "classic defender" group, but instead one of the first generation of choppers with a really dangerous forehand attack.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2016, 09:06 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
fleetwood999 wrote:
Ding Song was great and did use short pips, but in my opinion belongs not in the "classic defender" group, but instead one of the first generation of choppers with a really dangerous forehand attack.

well, yes,

that also because the difference between classical and modern defender is continuous, not discreet. :D

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2016, 09:58 
LoopER Chopin

Blade: Shiono
FH: Spectol
BH: P1r
At one point I know Pavlovich used butterfly short pips. I think challenger defense. I always felt like fl 3 played very much more inverted like than any long pop I tried so it probably was just a tiny bit easier for her to use fl 3 I'm guessing.

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2016, 10:30 
Super User

BeGo wrote:
fleetwood999 wrote:

well, yes,

that also because the difference between classical and modern defender is continuous, not discreet. :D

Sent from my T1X Plus using Tapatalk

Well, absent the OP assigning some strict definition it's a matter of opinion and semantics, so I used the phrase "in my opinion". :)
But the video is useful in getting a feel for his style, I think.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2016, 00:03 

Well, while I offered no specific criteria, I'd say that koji matsushita is at the upper limits of Classic D. Ding song is also at the very top of the Classic D or very bottom of the Modern D spectrum. I tend to agree with the examples I've seen, he skews more Modern D but it's all subjective and dependent of the opponents etc etc, so it's valid to see him on this list. There are clear modern defenders like Joo or Chen.

Chtchetinine is the quintessential Classic Chopper in my mind, but I've even seen him act very modern D-ish given the right weaker opponent.

Jo Parker (Drinkhall) is also classical not modern IMO but double inverted.

I'm just really looking for examples of SP or Very Grippy LP Classic choppers, so give your examples and I'll decide for myself if they are appropriate.

Wu Yang is one, I just thought of, again, she's at the upper limit of classic d IMO in terms of how often she attacks.

If a chopper exclusively fishes/guides/loops on the FH, to me that excludes them from the Classic D category.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2016, 00:28 
LoopER Chopin

I think long pips are safer. I've used fl3 and p4 before. They are easy to use in genreral I think. Predictable for the user. If you mix deadish chops from your reflectiod or add spin to backspin on that side you could be very successful. Many modern defenders are chopping forehand lately. I think the weight of some of the new balls is helping with this. Just play the game you wanna play. Fl3 Won't givemore backspin but could possibly change the range of your chops in an effective way. Also if you can get more balls on the table it's worth changing.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2016, 01:45 

tabesamis wrote:
I think long pips are safer. I've used fl3 and p4 before. They are easy to use in genreral I think. Predictable for the user. If you mix deadish chops from your reflectiod or add spin to backspin on that side you could be very successful. Many modern defenders are chopping forehand lately. I think the weight of some of the new balls is helping with this. Just play the game you wanna play. Fl3 Won't givemore backspin but could possibly change the range of your chops in an effective way. Also if you can get more balls on the table it's worth changing.

Thanks tabesamis. I have experience with Grippy Long Pip chopping but not much with SP, so between 1.0mm FL3 and 802 or spectol, how much more control did you feel vs. spin? What I DO have a lot of experience in is double inverted chopping with reflectoid on the BH, so I'm not completely foreign to the idea of not having as "safe" a BH vs. spin, but with much more variation and spin generation vs. low spin. That being said, I was actually surprised at how safe reflectoid was given it's inverted.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2016, 06:17 
Ping Pong Diplomat
Ping Pong Diplomat

Blade: Victas KMO
FH: Yasaka Rising Dragon
BH: Cloud and Fog III
You can't compare FL3 and 802....at all...LP and SP are different beasts...

If you are thinking of 802 I would suggest you compare it to inverted chopping. Not LP chopping.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2016, 09:14 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
I'm using 802 on my FH atm. Was doing FH chopping drills with my coach today. Entirely unlike LP in general, and entirely unlike FL3. I found it comparatively difficult to use, by contrast with Degu and also 651. However, when my technique was good, and I managed to brush the ball quickly, I could impart a lot of spin, very effectively. I mean a ton of spin - seriously loaded. I'm far far away from being able to do this consistently on my FH, but on the occasions when I got into a good position, and managed the optimal action, I was very pleased with it.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2016, 09:27 
LoopER Chopin

As stated it is completely different. I've tried 802, thicker sponged spectol, and 563. I felt 563 was more forgiving but 802 had more possibilities. Had spectol been thinner it would have helped... Long pips are easier for me and I twiddle.