OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 19 Mar 2024, 16:06

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 09:37 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Last week an email came out announcing that every 2017 tournament in Florida will use Nittaku Premium 3* balls. They got a sponsor deal from Paddle Palace. Before the tournaments were Nexy/XSF seamless, and only in Orlando Bty G40+. I know some people who are very happy who have been playing the NP 3* all along, but for me it sucks. I have ~150 used and 114 NIB seamless 3* balls for practice. It would have been nice to have more notice than a couple weeks in advance of the change, but whatever, it's done.

I tested them this week and it seems like the balls don't play close enough for me to switch back and forth and play well. Has anyone tried the various flavors of bulk Nittaku plastic training balls? Are they any good? Will they play closer to the NP 3*s than a seamless ball, or are they also too different to train with? The choices at this point are pay up for Nittaku training balls or stop competing, at least in FL. Presumably PP will be going everywhere with the same deal, if they haven't already.

Yoko Ono

Don't want to see this advertisement? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 09:58 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
BRS wrote:
Last week an email came out announcing that every 2017 tournament in Florida will use Nittaku Premium 3* balls. They got a sponsor deal from Paddle Palace. Before the tournaments were Nexy/XSF seamless, and only in Orlando Bty G40+. I know some people who are very happy who have been playing the NP 3* all along, but for me it sucks. I have ~150 used and 114 NIB seamless 3* balls for practice. It would have been nice to have more notice than a couple weeks in advance of the change, but whatever, it's done.

I tested them this week and it seems like the balls don't play close enough for me to switch back and forth and play well. Has anyone tried the various flavors of bulk Nittaku plastic training balls? Are they any good? Will they play closer to the NP 3*s than a seamless ball, or are they also too different to train with? The choices at this point are pay up for Nittaku training balls or stop competing, at least in FL. Presumably PP will be going everywhere with the same deal, if they haven't already.

I switch back and forth between XSF variants and NP3*, both for tournament and club play. They are somewhat different, but at least at my level it's nothing major, so a day of practice or even a decent warm up session is enough to adjust. So, keep your current stash of balls.

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 17:59 
One-Loop Man
One-Loop Man

Blade: Joola Vyzaryz Trinity
FH: Golden Tango
BH: Golden Tango
pgpg wrote:
BRS wrote:

I switch back and forth between XSF variants and NP3*, both for tournament and club play. They are somewhat different, but at least at my level it's nothing major, so a day of practice or even a decent warm up session is enough to adjust. So, keep your current stash of balls.

I agree, the balls play differently, but if I have a tournament and play with the NP40+ balls for the period coming up to it, then I usually adjust. I also play league on Tuesdays and NP40+ is the ball of choice.

In the end, as you develop a better and better loop, it's most important to be able to adapt. The one thing I will say is that the NP40+ is probably the most predictable ball out there in terms of your old celluloid ball instincts.

In my opinion, the balls are all converging, especially if you are a looper. They just aren't similar enough, which is annoying, but not insurmountable. In the end, at this point, BRS, I understand that you have enjoyed being able to use the balls you practice with in tournaments, but if you accept it and move on, it becomes less of an issue.

"We don't rise to the level of our expectations, we fall to the level of our training" - Archilochus

PostPosted: 09 Jan 2017, 18:27 
Blockhead
Blockhead

Blade: Timo Boll ALC ST
FH: Tibhar MXP max
BH: Tibhar FXS 1.8
Ditto I feel OK switching with just a decent warm up session. I think there is just as much variation between venues, tables, humidity and temperature. Ball type is just another variant you have to adapt to and it's better you don't let such variations worry you.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

185g