OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:29

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 08:14 
Super User

Blade: SOULSPIN DEFENSE
FH: Spinny stuff
BH: Spongeless reviled stuff
It seems most agree pips are better to use on the backhand for chopping. But -- I pretty much only attack on my backhand these days, and it is my forehand that does the chopping. So given that, would it still be recommended to use pips on the forehand? Or should inverted be easy enough to control there, seeing as how all modern defensive players use inverted on the forehands, many of which chop a lot on that side too?

And is there any decently skilled chopper who plays reverse modern defense!? That being attacks on the backhand, and chops on the forehand? I've seen it at the club level to about 1900. Curious if anyone took this style much farther?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 09:57 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Do you ever loop on the forehand? Perhaps, if you don't, then you don't need the inverted on the forehand. Are you having any trouble chopping on the forehand with the inverted against better players who can loop?

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 10:34 
Super User

iskandar taib wrote:
Do you ever loop on the forehand? Perhaps, if you don't, then you don't need the inverted on the forehand. Are you having any trouble chopping on the forehand with the inverted against better players who can loop?

Iskandar

I play mainly with the backhand, so my forehand footwork is pretty abysmal. My right foot generally stands a tad bit in front of the left, and when I go to loop on the forehand side, due to the body mechanics from such a stance... it generally is a wristy 'windshield wiper' kind of shot. All arm, no real body rotation. Sometimes I can rotate down to the right, but don't ever really torque back to the left.

The forehand chops with inverted don't seem to be a problem for me, control wise. I was more wondering if there would be a real benefit to using pips on the forehand side -- where nobody really mentions control being a problem. Or if you can handle inverted, is that seen as 'better'?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 11:13 
Super User

Blade: Butterfly Defence Alpha
FH: Donic Slice 40 CD 1.5 mm
BH: LKTStrgr+KokBLuJap 1.1 mm
skilless_slapper wrote:
It seems most agree pips are better to use on the backhand for chopping. But -- I pretty much only attack on my backhand these days, and it is my forehand that does the chopping. So given that, would it still be recommended to use pips on the forehand? Or should inverted be easy enough to control there, seeing as how all modern defensive players use inverted on the forehands, many of which chop a lot on that side too?

And is there any decently skilled chopper who plays reverse modern defense!? That being attacks on the backhand, and chops on the forehand? I've seen it at the club level to about 1900. Curious if anyone took this style much farther?

Well, we used to have 2 winged chopper with devastating backhand finisher, Matsushita Koji.

I vote that you can try something like Tackiness Chop 2 1.7 - Neptune 1.5 Combi, both pips and inverted save enough for chopping on either wing, and tack 2 can be used for finisher if needed, and keep twiddling.

Sent from my i5E using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 15:21 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

skilless_slapper wrote:
I was more wondering if there would be a real benefit to using pips on the forehand side -- where nobody really mentions control being a problem. Or if you can handle inverted, is that seen as 'better'?

There's two reasons why people use long pips, I think. The first is it allows you to chop back really spinny forehand loops. The kind that would normally sail off into the blue if you tried to chop with inverted, since the long pips don't react as much to spin. The second reason is the spin reversal - spin simply "continues", topspin is returned as backspin. This causes errors on the part of your opponent, especially if you can twiddle and use either inverted or long pips at will. Today your opponent can see what you're using, in the distant past you could use the same color rubber on both sides and then it became a terrible weapon (which is why they invented the rule in the first place).

As far as control goes, it'll take some (a lot) of practice to learn to use long pips. Initially you'll be putting a lot of balls in the net or off the end of the table. Learning to twiddle will be double the work, and confusing (for yourself), as well.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 19:07 
Super User

Blade: Joola Xylo 7
FH: Battle 2 National 38
BH: TTR-Killer
I've played defenders who were with LP on the FH and regular rubber on the BH. If you really have a good BH counter/loop/chop then why not? (For example I think that a dropshot(from your opponent) is much easier to attack with your BH and not with the FH because of lesser preparation time needed for the shot.)
I think the main problem you can encounter with using LP on the FH side is how will you play the short game with your FH. It will need some time to get used to it because it's nothing like using the inverted over the table.
Chopping with the LP from the FH shouldn't be a problem at all and is much easier then with the inverted (I twiddle a lot and chop with the pips from the FH) so if you think that this will improve your game and you're a more BH attacking player then just go for it.

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 20:15 
Super User

v100ev wrote:
I've played defenders who were with LP on the FH and regular rubber on the BH. If you really have a good BH counter/loop/chop then why not? (For example I think that a dropshot(from your opponent) is much easier to attack with your BH and not with the FH because of lesser preparation time needed for the shot.)
I think the main problem you can encounter with using LP on the FH side is how will you play the short game with your FH. It will need some time to get used to it because it's nothing like using the inverted over the table.
Chopping with the LP from the FH shouldn't be a problem at all and is much easier then with the inverted (I twiddle a lot and chop with the pips from the FH) so if you think that this will improve your game and you're a more BH attacking player then just go for it.

I have a nice BH loop, especially the over the table banana flick. Practicing against a few 2200+ level players (much higher than me!), they were very impressed by my flick and said it was better than anything they could do :lol: they weren't able to give me a serve that I couldn't return with the flick. They were able to beat me with the serve through variation and whatnot, of course. But none could come up with a routine serve that stopped me from using it!

Sadly though... that's basically all I've got! I've drilled that a ton on the robot, and it is far superior to the rest of my game. I'm tired of my forehand being a liability, whereas ideally that side would serve to enhance my game. So I've experimented with anti, LP, 'defensive' inverted, sp, and mp.

I block really well on the forehand side with inverted or SP, and the smash, when doable, is much better than my loop. So at this point I'm thinking of going back to a SP for chopping. Maybe something like moristo sp? My strategy is to pretty much play the backhand until forced into using the forehand. The forehand can really only block/chop/smash. I like to goad my opponent to do a push, so I can use the banana flick with the BH. So chopping compliments that idea, I think. My problem with LP/anti is that my offensive shots with them are very inaccurate (against top/dead balls), and I seem to do more attacks on that side than I think -- given the level of frustration with LP... Like a spinny SP that is good for smashes, yet still good at chopping. And since it will be on the forehand, perhaps control won't be too big of an issue using the faster ones?

PostPosted: 10 Jan 2017, 21:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
SS i also have tried anti, l/p inverted on the f/h.I love to block on both wings and i do controlled loops on the f/h and smashes.If pushed back i fish or chop on the f/h.control is the key for me.i like short pips to be honest due to the blocking abilities.
i tried feint long 2 in 0.5 on the f/h and it worked but it didnt have many gears.i could also obviously flip and then chop on the b/h to give a different look.i usually chop with neo anti on the b/h.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 05:03 
Super User

peterpong wrote:
SS i also have tried anti, l/p inverted on the f/h.I love to block on both wings and i do controlled loops on the f/h and smashes.If pushed back i fish or chop on the f/h.control is the key for me.i like short pips to be honest due to the blocking abilities.
i tried feint long 2 in 0.5 on the f/h and it worked but it didnt have many gears.i could also obviously flip and then chop on the b/h to give a different look.i usually chop with neo anti on the b/h.

Did you settle with using SP on the forehand? I liked anti on the forehand for the blocking, but wasn't sure if I felt more successful using speed blocks with SP/inverted or slow, spin disruptive blocks from the anti.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 05:25 

skilless_slapper wrote:

Look at YouTube for Tetyana Bilenko from the Ukraine. I am not entirely sure but I believe she plays a FL 3.

Marcel

Donic Waldner Senso Carbon
D-TecS Ox, DHS Hurricane 3 2.15 mm
LSD Ox, DHS Hurricane 3 2.15 mm
D-TecS Ox Contra Spezial, DHS Hurricane 3 2.15 mm

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 06:59 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: GRUBBA
FH: RAYSTORM
BH: BEST ANTI
skilless_slapper wrote:
peterpong wrote:

Did you settle with using SP on the forehand? I liked anti on the forehand for the blocking, but wasn't sure if I felt more successful using speed blocks with SP/inverted or slow, spin disruptive blocks from the anti.

i did settle with s/p but i sometimes flip with the anti and use it on the f/h to confuse.i often go back to inverted on the f/h to test.i then go back to sp as i love the block