OOAK Table Tennis Forum

A truly International Table Tennis Community for both Defensive and Offensive styles!
OOAK Forum Links About OOAK Table Tennis Forum OOAK Forum Memory
It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 20:38

Don't want to see any advertising? Become a member and login, and you'll never see an ad again!

All times are UTC + 9:30 hours

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 15:16 

Blade: Yinhe 980XX
FH: Yinhe 9000D
BH: Yinhe 955 0.7mm
Greetings.

I am a penhold attacker (pips and inverted) and I just got blown out in a tournament (0-5). My oppenents are way superior in terms of techniques and power and it will take a long time for me to get to their level with my current playing style.

One thing I've notice in the tournament is that there are no defenders. So it got me thinking maybe if I switch to a defensive style of play (using shakehand) maybe I may have that surprise factor to atleast get a win in the tournament. Plus I see defense as a more effecient style to play and can be a long term play style as I'm already 26 and just started playing table tennis 6 months ago.

What are your thoughts on this guys? Some advice, maybe.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 15:32 

Btw. I purchased a Dawei R2 shakehand and will be using my used Butterfly Flextra for FH and used Donic Akkadi OX/0.5 for BH.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 17:16 
LP Collector
LP Collector

Blade: Yaska Sweden Classic
FH: 802 OX
BH: DHS C8 OX
It takes much much longer to become an effective defender than an effective attacker.

Table tennis is a very technical game. If you've only been playing for 6 months, don't worry about losing in tournaments.

It took me more than a year to win my first game in a match in the local league.

By all means make defending your long term plan, but don't expect it to be a quick fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 17:21 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
My advice is: Get a coach.

Table tennis is a competition where same types of styles are their respective #1 enemy, imho. Same style should know its own weaknesses and strength and will try to overturn the opponent on both. So, what does it tell if the others simply are (way) better? Did you use your head? If not, a defending or even disruptive style shouldn't be your way to go unless you start to analyze the opponent and his game from top to bottom.

Switching styles wouldn't automatically turn you to the better unless your primary playing style wasn't correct to begin with.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 21:34 

I appreciate your feedback guys. Here are things that I consider:
1. Most of my opponents are on their late teens and early twenties meaning they are still on their way to their prime while me on the otherhand is supposed to be on my prime now if I started playing early on life. I can only see my athleticism deteriorate on the following years of my life. I must admit, I'm looking for a shortcut to win games but also I want a style which can last for a long time that my body can handle.
2. Yes, I think a lot during game. I make strategies and tactics. I can read their spins and movements, It's just that they're faster and more powerful, I can't keep up to their pace.
3. We have a former player in the club who's a defender, perhaps he can help me.

I'm thinking of trying it for a while, maybe a for a week or two and see what happens. If I feel more confident with it, I will consider getting a coach.

Also which LP rubber is best for begginers OX or 0.5mm sponge? I have a Donic Akkadi L2 OX and a Tulpe Soft Sponge 0.5mm. Or is SP also ok? I have an 802-40 1.5mm.

Thanks again guys! You're much appreciated.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 01:27 

Switching from penhold to shakehand could be pretty hard and if you dont like it youll have to switch back and it you wont have improved during this whole time and people you mentioned will have been improving :p

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 02:30 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Since you have only played for six months it's not a bad idea to try defense now and see if you enjoy playing that style. Better now than after a year or two invested in learning to attack. Just don't expect it to be faster/easier than what you have been doing.

Yoko Ono

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 03:27 
Super User

Blade: Palio WAY-003
FH: Yinhe Mars II medium
BH: Yinhe 955
When I teach I teach people to push, counter, drive before everything else. I do look at footwork from day one and I will comment missteps even if the strokes are correct and safe. I will let them develop more speed to be able to circumvent the backhand with attacks and to be able to reach a ball even if it gets into the hooks.
I do look at how they hold their rackets and tell them to use a loose grip with just using pressure on the thumb and index finger first.
If they're safe using it I can see their respective comfort-zones which gives a hint on further development in style

Do you think you're already consistent and far enough in development to go for a style?

Maybe you should give shakehand a try but usually people feel comfortably with the one hold they've started with. Why not cpen and defense which will be even more rare?

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 04:00 
OOAK Super User
OOAK Super User

Blade: 729 HS Champion carbon
FH: Razka X max, black
BH: SavigaV LP 1.0 red/green
In the USA a defensive style will win matches at the lower levels, but I have no idea about the Philippines.

I think every player should learn a multitude of styles and techniques. I recommend trying the defender style for those who are patient. Many players do not have the temperament necessary to play that way.

The best advice was given earlier-get a coach!

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 10:43 
Dr. Chop-Blogger
Dr. Chop-Blogger

Blade: Butterfly Defense Alpha
FH: H3 Neo
BH: Cloud & Fog III OX
genrel001 wrote:
I appreciate your feedback guys. Here are things that I consider:
1. Most of my opponents are on their late teens and early twenties meaning they are still on their way to their prime while me on the otherhand is supposed to be on my prime now if I started playing early on life. I can only see my athleticism deteriorate on the following years of my life. I must admit, I'm looking for a shortcut to win games but also I want a style which can last for a long time that my body can handle.
2. Yes, I think a lot during game. I make strategies and tactics. I can read their spins and movements, It's just that they're faster and more powerful, I can't keep up to their pace.
3. We have a former player in the club who's a defender, perhaps he can help me.

I'm thinking of trying it for a while, maybe a for a week or two and see what happens. If I feel more confident with it, I will consider getting a coach.

Also which LP rubber is best for begginers OX or 0.5mm sponge? I have a Donic Akkadi L2 OX and a Tulpe Soft Sponge 0.5mm. Or is SP also ok? I have an 802-40 1.5mm.

Thanks again guys! You're much appreciated.

Well, if you played TT for ~20 years - yes, you would be at the peak of your performance, more or less. But you only played for 6 months. So, going 0-5 in your first tournament is not really saying much - we have no idea who you lost to and what your level is. Your peak physical performance has nothing to do with your result - at 6 months of TT experience you are pretty much a beginner and would likely lose to a bunch of 60-70 year olds I know who played much longer.

Having said that - they way I look at it is that TT is a hobby. Not your career. So - feel free to try whatever style or equipment you are interested in. LPs are fun - just don't expect immediate results. They will require quite a bit of adjustment and learning on their own - but, they enable a quite different play style, and it might be what you will like/enjoy.

Looking back on my experience, OX would be easier to start with. 0.5 mm is almost like OX. Never played with SP, but suspect 802-40 1.5 mm is much closer to inverted.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 11:09 

My history of table tennis started when I was 14 but it was nothing serious, garage style games. I stopped playing when I was 19 as I am looking for a job that time. I came back again 6 months ago when I was 25, this time on a more serious note.

During those years (14-19) I played shakehand. It was onky during my recent comeback where I converted to penhold. The reason is because I can't attack on shakehand, most of I can do is block, push and chop block. My attacks are mostly flat hits because my drives and loops are relatively weak. In penhold my attack improved, one of the players in the club even told me that my FH drive is a beauty but still has room for improvement. But despite that I've notice that in that six months my improvement wasn't that all good, I'm still not far from where I started.

Then something happend when I was fooling around in the club. I challenged ine of the junior players to a match but I will be playing as a defender, and so we played. To my amaze, despite not having held a shakehand for six months, my form was different. I was more calm, more relaxed and I can see my movements improved, my chopping is better. I can even chop away from the table, something I've never done before. It just feels right that time, like the first time I get ti know my girlfriend. And due to that I have been haunted for days of the thought of shifting to defense.

Then the tournament happened and I got squashed, which only adds up to my dilemma of whether to shift to defense or not.

But thank you, guys! I will try to play defense and maybe get a coach when I have the money. I will let you guys know how it went after a week or two.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 11:12 

Btw, there are very few players in my area that tournaments are always Open and sometimes if ever categorized, it will be by Age and not ranks. Some of the players I've encountered have been to the National tournaments.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 13:58 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

genrel001 wrote:
During those years (14-19) I played shakehand. It was onky during my recent comeback where I converted to penhold. The reason is because I can't attack on shakehand, most of I can do is block, push and chop block. My attacks are mostly flat hits because my drives and loops are relatively weak.

Hmmm.. Is there a physical reason for this? Maybe all it takes is a coach. Even choppers these days loop.

Iskandar

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 14:11 

iskandar taib wrote:

Hmmm.. Is there a physical reason for this? Maybe all it takes is a coach. Even choppers these days loop.

Iskandar

Nothing that I've known of. It just feels awkward. I attack with my arm fully extended. It's easy to do this on penhold but it really feels awkward on shhakehand. But I guess I just need coaching.

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2017, 23:42 
Goes to 11
Goes to 11

Try hitting counterdrives just using your forearm. That is, pivot at the elbow. Try softer drives and blocks to begin with, and add more power as you get more comfortable. The looping can wait. And yeah, try a coach.

Iskandar